Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 8,630 times

Advertisements

Been in the DFW area for a few months now, and looking to buy a home in the Lancaster area. Would like opinions on the Lancaster area.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Hello,

It is always nice to hear from someone interested in the city of Lancaster. I have lived in the southern suburbs for most of my life and moved to Lancaster four and a half years ago. My experience has been a positive one - I love my home, neighborhood, and the close-knit feel of the community.

Here's a little background information on the city:
Lancaster (pop. 36,361) is situated east of DeSoto and southeast of the I-35/I-20 interchange in southern Dallas County. It is part of the "Best Southwest" region, which includes the neighboring suburbs of DeSoto, Cedar Hill, and Duncanville. After modest growth in the 1990s, the city began to grow rapidly after 2000. According to 2010 Census figures, the population increased by 40.4 percent over the past decade, making it one of the fastest growing communities in Dallas County. Home prices are quite affordable and that is one of the main reasons why a lot of people, myself included, chose to move here. Newly built subdivisions can be found throughout the city, along with older, more established neighborhoods. Like most communities of its size or larger in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Lancaster has a few areas that aren't as nice as others, but most areas in the city are decent and well-kept. Business interest in the city, both commercial and retail, has increased in recent years. Most of Lancaster's retail development has been concentrated along the I-35 corridor, which forms the city's western boundary. Whatever you can't find in Lancaster proper can usually be found in one of the nearby communities. The closest mall is located in Cedar Hill, only a short distance away.

So that the posters on this forum can better assist you, it would be helpful to us if you could answer a few of the following questions:
  • Are you looking to rent or buy?
  • What is your desired price range?
  • In choosing a neighborhood, what amenities or features are most important to you?
I hope you find this information helpful.

If you have any other questions, just let me know and I will be glad to assist you further. You can also contact me by direct message as well.

PS: During the summer of 2009, I traveled around Lancaster photographing various landmarks and neighborhoods within the city. They are posted in the thread below and might give you a better feel for the community.
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...er-photos.html

Last edited by Acntx; 05-03-2011 at 11:49 PM..

Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah00 View Post
Been in the DFW area for a few months now, and looking to buy a home in the Lancaster area. Would like opinions on the Lancaster area.

Thanks.

Need a little more info before answering your question. What things about a neighborhood is important to you, Were do you work etc. Lancaster could be great for one person while bad for another. Provide a little more information please regarding your wants and needs.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Here are a list of things to add to my previous post:

1. I work in Downtown Dallas.
2. I'm considering Cedar Hill and Lancaster, but leaning towards Cedar Hill based on views from a few of my friends.
3. I am looking to buy. My maximum price is $90,000 considering this will be my first home. I'm not expecting a dream home in my first house.
4. I have no children as of right now, so school districts aren't a concern right now, but I believe it will be in the near future.
5. I'm looking for a community with low crime rate, a community that welcomes young black professionals, a community that is currently growing economically, or growth is in the near future.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
PS: During the summer of 2009, I traveled around Lancaster photographing various landmarks and neighborhoods within the city. They are posted in the thread below and might give you a better feel for the community.
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...er-photos.html

Great photographs! This is a totally different view from what I expected.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
The only thing I know about Lancaster is from friends who grew up there more than 50 yrs ago but one of them has mom who lived there all her life and died just last year
they tried to get her to move out of her home because of the changing neighborhood--more minorities coming in and the values deteriorating--
they were afraid for her to live there alone--
so while there are some nicer areas like that of the historical home in the photo thread--I think you chose the nicer areas of Lancaster and would imagine there are some neighborhoods that have "blight" as they say

Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The only thing I know about Lancaster is from friends who grew up there more than 50 yrs ago but one of them has mom who lived there all her life and died just last year
they tried to get her to move out of her home because of the changing neighborhood--more minorities coming in and the values deteriorating--
so while there are some nicer areas like that of the historical home in the photo thread--I think you chose the nicer areas of Lancaster and would imagine there are some neighborhoods that have "blight" as they say
Your statements are almost identical to what I've been told by two of my close friends. As a result, I've been leaning more towards Cedar Hill. Within the next week or so, I plan to check out the areas myself, and see how I feel about them. I just want to get different views from locals considering I've only been a residence of the DFW area for approximately 3 months.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I will PM you a local RE site--
check out the difference in homes in Lancaster and Cedar Hill--
from what I could see when checking it short time ago
the Cedar Hill area has more home in area 100K a above--
Lancaster has more homes 100K and below
Frankly while YOU might want to buy less expensive house you don't want to buy in one where there is no quality housing in the lower prices

Check out the City Data demographic info for both towns--check items like education levels, per capital income, and age

Old 05-09-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Most suburban communities have seen an increase in (mostly middle-class) minority populations over the past decade or so. Lancaster has as well as Cedar Hill. In fact, Cedar Hill now has a majority-Black population (51.9%) according to 2010 census data. Cities change over time. I have friends and relatives who live in Lancaster as well. Not once have I ever heard them say that they felt unsafe alone or been a victim of crime. And the 'minorities' living in my neighborhood (myself included) keep our homes looking nice.

BTW, the photos I posted in my thread included a variety of neighborhoods from all parts the city (map), not just the so-called "nicer" ones.

Last edited by Acntx; 05-09-2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah00 View Post
Your statements are almost identical to what I've been told by two of my close friends. As a result, I've been leaning more towards Cedar Hill. Within the next week or so, I plan to check out the areas myself, and see how I feel about them. I just want to get different views from locals considering I've only been a residence of the DFW area for approximately 3 months.
I joined this forum back in 2007 after reading some of the comments that had been left regarding Lancaster. I could not believe some of the things that were said and wanted to share my experiences as a current resident of the city. I also enjoy helping those who express an interest in this area. I know I can't change the opinions of your friends, but I just want to say that Lancaster isn't a "bad" community. If it were truly a bad place to live, there is no way that I would have moved here 4.5 years ago. Please note that the southern suburbs (Cedar Hill, Lancaster, DeSoto, Duncanville, etc.) are poorly-represented in this forum. There are only a few of us who actually live in the area and regularly post here. A quick search of the threads devoted to these communities will show you the frequent generalizations and insulting comments we often have to put up with. I apologize for veering a little off-topic, but I wanted to make you aware of this.

Last edited by Acntx; 05-09-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas