Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:21 PM

57 posts, read 188,201 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the help. And mandm thank you for that about your apt. Smartgxl - where were you looking and what areas seemed nicest or were you looking to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 04:03 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizbet View Post
It seems to me from reading threads and forums that everyone is very cheery and happy answering wives and hubby's questions of relocation from out of state to buy real estate. But when it comes to people who are pet lovers, or single professionals (not going to bars and wanting 20 somethin night life) or renting -- mum's the word or feigned uninterested remarks.

Is it just the contributers on city-data in Dallas or is Dallas itself?

And if it is not Dallas itself -- where do more single professionals without kids congregate location wise -- over 30 crowd. West coast has many professional singles over 40 and no one bats an eyelash.
We're just jealous because we're married, have mortgages and have kids. LOL!!!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:49 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
OK, first off I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of the regular posters on here are not over 35 apt dwellers. And therefore aren't quite as knowledgeable as they are about the areas they live in. Not a bad thing, just the way the forum seems to have evolved.

Second off, what is up with the "sister" thing? That's weird and seems abrasive.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
In my real life I know a few folks over age 35 who are apartment dwellers - the ones with kids are in Collin County and the ones without are in Dallas.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:03 PM

40 posts, read 64,191 times
Default opportunity and ageism

Quote:
And if it is not Dallas itself -- where do more single professionals without kids congregate location wise -- over 30 crowd. West coast has many professional singles over 40 and no one bats an eyelash.

I'm over 35 too and I moved here from CA last year to a place near SMU called The Village. It's a good central location until you figure out where you want to live. I enjoyed it very much.

I must agree, there is a LOT of ageism in Dallas. I thought it was due to living near SMU but also experienced it frequently out and about. But at least it's inexpensive and the job market is great comparing to home (CA).

IM me if you want more info. Good luck to you. I've benefited financially from the bold move here. I'm sure you will too. All the best to you.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 AM

57 posts, read 188,201 times
Ami mon -- where were you in Cali? And agesim -- you mean Dallas prefers the younger crowd? Did you move by yourself and did you visit prior or get realtor.

What do you prefer about Dallas over Cali?
Coming from New England I am afraid the architecture, lack of green and trees, will be unnerving. Currently in AZ and it's not my thing. One of the choices was Cali based on friends/contacts. Negative is rentals and COL.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami mon View Post

I must agree, there is a LOT of ageism in Dallas. I thought it was due to living near SMU but also experienced it frequently out and about. But at least it's inexpensive and the job market is great comparing to home (CA).
Huh? How? Examples?

Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM

40 posts, read 64,191 times
I prefer not much about Dallas except the job market and the cost of living. I came from the bay area. The people seem kind and down to earth here but now there seems to be so many Californians here that the whole culture is in transition to more a more liberal than one would expect.

How about you? From where in CA?

Quote:
Ami mon -- where were you in Cali? And agesim -- you mean Dallas prefers the younger crowd? Did you move by yourself and did you visit prior or get realtor.

What do you prefer about Dallas over Cali?
Coming from New England I am afraid the architecture, lack of green and trees, will be unnerving. Currently in AZ and it's not my thing. One of the choices was Cali based on friends/contacts. Negative is rentals and COL.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:17 PM

65 posts, read 122,547 times
Sounds like White Rock Lake area would suit you best. Great bike trail, 1 BR apartments in your price range that are gated, safe, quiet, and nicely groomed. We are in an apartment in Lakewood area and right by the Lake. Very quiet, majority of residents are single professionals, newlyweds, and very few families with children or elderly.

BTW, the age-ism comment is nonsense. I have many single professional friends our age (37 and 41) that immensely enjoy life here. I don't think they tend to get on city data as much. Maybe there are other forums they would frequent. The age-ism interpretation could have been derived largely in part from where the OP spends their free time. Some areas are higher density SMU/late 20's crowd, others are older crowds looking for lower key entertainment. There's a site I just learned of called quickdfw.com . That, IMHO, is geared towards the younger crowd.

When you get here, it would be beneficial to befriend a native local that can offer sage advice on where to go and what to avoid. There is a list of D-bag bars/clubs that is the epitome of "30K dollar millionaires" who all don the same silly Britney Spears hat, men and women alike. I do my best to avoid said places. Although, that may be your cup of tea, but I didn't ascertain that from your post.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:21 PM

65 posts, read 122,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ami mon View Post
I'm over 35 too and I moved here from CA last year to a place near SMU called The Village. It's a good central location until you figure out where you want to live. I enjoyed it very much.

Oh my word!!! The Village is THE BIGGEST COLLEGE AGED apartment community in Dallas. No wonder you felt aged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas