Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 AM

8 posts, read 24,284 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are relocating to the Dallas area in a couple months and will be living in one of either Friso/Plano/McKinney/Allen.

I am a golf fanatic and since I am leaving my home club here I will be looking to join a private club in the vicinity of the areas I mentioned above.

Courses I am researching and considering so far are:
1. TPC Craig Ranch
2. Stonebridge Ranch Country Club
3. Stonebriar Country Club

I know there are many others and that's why i'm hoping for some input from you! Don't worry about recommending solely based on location because I ultimately will lean towards one or two based on where we do settle, so just general comments about the golf facility are all I'm looking for at this point.

If anyone out there is a member at any of these clubs, or has played these courses, I would love to hear your input regarding:
- Ease of getting tee-times you want in prime-time (weekend mornings, etc)
- Difficulty and conditions of the course(s) (is it well maintained, etc)
- Friendliness of staff both in pro shop and dining areas
- Clubhouse, Pro Shop, and Dining facility quality
- Friendliness of members (not looking for an aloof crowd)
- Member events and tournaments such as leagues, etc

I am a single-digit handicap so I'm not concerned about difficulty, rather I would prefer to avoid overly "easy" courses if possible.

From what I can tell from what i've seen and heard, TPC is one of the best pure golf facilities. I know that Stonebridge and Stonebriar are ClubCorp facilities, is that a good thing or a bad thing? Are they run well and managed well? Too many members?

I'm somewhat attracted to Stonebridge Ranch at the moment purely due to the fact that the initiation is relatively cheap, there is an 18 holes course and a 27 hole course so there's a lot of variety under the same membership, and if i want to mix it up I would have access to other ClubCorp courses in the area.

Ultimately i'm only considering courses with initiation fees of $30,000 or under... so no recommendations for Dallas National please . I also tend to gravitate towards clubs that offer more than 18 holes. My home club here has 36 holes and I love the variety and the ability to always get tee-times. However, having only 18 holes (i.e. TPC) is not a deal breaker.

If there are any members of these clubs out there reading this, or somebody that knows a member, or even just someone that has played any of these courses - I would really appreciate any feedback you can offer about any of these facilities and any of the questions i listed above. Feel free to reply in this thread, or even send me a direct message.

Cheers!
I look forward to reading your responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 09:05 AM

64 posts, read 130,518 times
I am not into golfing but Gleneagles and Prestonwoods are popular in Collin County. You may consider buying à Home in one of these communities.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:14 AM

104 posts, read 250,756 times
You might want to check out the Las Colinas area, there are several popular courses there. I hear Great things about the Las Colinas country club for instance, I don't know that much about it, but friends of mine swear by it.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 AM

702 posts, read 2,723,965 times
The Sports Club at the Four Seasons Las Colinas is great but you need $$$$.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
my golf pro friend loves the Las Colinas courses and also Stonebriar

Old 05-28-2011, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 24,284 times
Thanks for the replies, keep'em coming!

I notice a lot of people mentioning Los Colinas. Unfortunately that won't be an option as it will be 45+ minutes away from where we will be living. However I do see that Los Colinas is also part of ClubCorp, so while it may not be my "home" club, I will still have access to it if I join Stonebriar or Stonebridge... good to know!

Anybody have thoughts on TPC or Stonebridge?

Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilymail View Post
I am not into golfing but Gleneagles and Prestonwoods are popular in Collin County. You may consider buying à Home in one of these communities.
You don't get membership in the club just by buying a home in those communities. You have to be invited. However, I'm under the impression that Gleneagles in particular is going to "invite" you if you write them a check to cover the initiation fee, but I'm not 100% on that.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
think many of the private clubs might have had people drop out because of the recession--especially smaller companies with memberships

Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
think many of the private clubs might have had people drop out because of the recession--especially smaller companies with memberships
Yep--I know Brookhaven no longer has an initiation fee if you can pay full monthly dues, and the YMCA is booming with people who no longer want to pay in the hundreds of dollars just for golf when they can pay $85 for the whole family at the Y.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:56 PM

64 posts, read 130,518 times
living in a golf community makes it easy to walk there whenever you feel like playing but you do have to pay fee- both clubs lowered there fee and recommendation criterion so easy to get in- still pricy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: