Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:18 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
I really hate to jump into the "tree" fray and have no intention to - except to say that, yes, Houston has more trees because parts of it are in the Piney Woods that extend all across the South. But to say Dallas is a bald prairie except in certain parts isn't correct, either. Most of the suburban areas with new homes (Plano, etc.) are built on what was once farmland. And guess what? Farmers clear their land to plant crops and have done so for generations. If you look around, the areas never farmed are covered in big trees (not big shrubs). This is evident along creeks, fencelines and uneven areas where a farmer couldn't or didn't want to cultivate. No, they're not towering pine trees but a forest, nonetheless. I happen to live in the Cross Timbers region between Dallas and Fort Worth and have 33 oak trees in my yard, as do most of my neighbors. I chose to live in this area because of the trees. I grew up, however, in North Dallas in a couple of new homes (built in the '60's and '70's) where there wasn't a tree in sight, except for those planted by homeowners. The land, however, had been former farms. Now, 30 to 40 years later, those areas are considered heavily wooded.
I knew there had to be some nice Dallasites on this forum. A lot of Houston was once farmland as well. That is where the pockets of trees come from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Yep, it's like speaking to a brick wall momof2.
Go to name calling if you want, but I'm just tryin to be real with you two. You two put words in my mouth, and post photos of parks (well duh they have trees). It is almost a known fact that DFW was built on prairie. You will find trees in it of course.

No one came out name calling either. Is that what Dallasites start doing once they know they are wrong?

Old 06-02-2007, 09:46 PM

454 posts, read 1,339,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Not a city with trees. A city of trees. Now, that is one thing Dallas is not.
If you make that distinction then you'd have to say that there is no such thig as a city of trees. Trees can't build cities, after all.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:11 AM

739 posts, read 3,057,645 times
Haha, as an outsider, this Dallas vs. Houston thing is funny. My aunt lives in Houston and when talking to me about why she likes Houston over Dallas she said 'Im trying to be objective, but its hard. Houston doesn't like Dallas and vice versa".

I guess its kind of like SoCal Vs. NorCal- but I think you guys are worse

Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
It's a tradition, that's all I can say. We're competitive here in Texas. That must be how Dallas and Houston got to be so similar in a bunch of ways... oh, Houston has a house museum? Then we're gonna get us a house museum, too! Now sit back, and don't forget the popcorn!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:59 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
It's a tradition, that's all I can say. We're competitive here in Texas. That must be how Dallas and Houston got to be so similar in a bunch of ways... oh, Houston has a house museum? Then we're gonna get us a house museum, too! Now sit back, and don't forget the popcorn!
It's more than just a spirit of rivalry, there are some fundamental differences between Dallas and Houston.

Dallas has urban pedestrian districts adjacent to but outside of its downtown. Houston has nothing similar to Uptown Dallas, for example... no transit villages such as Dallas' Mockingbird Station... Houston has much less in terms of rail transport... The DFW metro is multicentric in terms of municipalities, while Houston is dominated by one big municipality... that has made a major difference to the character of the two metros.

Not to keep beating a horse, but Dallas has a much better supply of art/foreign films than Houston, and that is something important to me...

The things that Dallas has and Houston does not attract me to Dallas and keep me out of Houston. And someone who is thinking of migrating to one of these two metros had better understand the difference.

What are Houston's strengths? Better international connections, a top-rated opera and ballet company, access to the Gulf of Mexico and a maritime environment... warmer winters... the Galleria area is a stunning example of a scenic highrise area, albeit not that pedestrian oriented...

It is not particularly useful to outsiders to minimize these differences, or to argue about them. They are real, and they appeal to different populations.

Last edited by aceplace; 06-03-2007 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 AM

341 posts, read 1,019,094 times
Are you guys still arguing about Dallas & Houston ?
Do you have any idea how immature, how really juvenile you sound ?
You sound like a bunch of kids arguing about their high schools or something along those lines.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:22 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Are you guys still arguing about Dallas & Houston ?
Do you have any idea how immature, how really juvenile you sound ?
You sound like a bunch of kids arguing about their high schools or something along those lines.
I don't know of high school kids discussing the geography of Dallas and Houston and how it affected each city. College students might be involved in such a technical discussion, but not high school students.

I believe the diferences between the two metros are significant and important. If I were choosing one or another for a home you can believe I would want to know about them. These differences don't depend on value judgments... i.e. my city is better than yours... nor on subjective criteria... i.e. some unexplainable bit of romance attracts me to this city...

Dallas adapted land planning, high density residential neighborhoods and rail transit a lot sooner than Houston did. Why? What is different about them that this happened. Do the differences in the weather affect a city's will to build pedestrian-oriented neighborhoods?

Another question that has its root in the differences is this... why does the Houston airport have better international connections than Dallas? Sure, it has a seaport, but why does that make a difference?

It isn't just Dallas and Houston. The major metros are all different from one another. I can easily sense a difference between Austin and Dallas and San Antonio and El Paso... they are not clones of one another.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
I knew there had to be some nice Dallasites on this forum. A lot of Houston was once farmland as well. That is where the pockets of trees come from.

Go to name calling if you want, but I'm just tryin to be real with you two. You two put words in my mouth, and post photos of parks (well duh they have trees). It is almost a known fact that DFW was built on prairie. You will find trees in it of course.

No one came out name calling either. Is that what Dallasites start doing once they know they are wrong?

And just what name was it that I called you Guerilla? Also, I can't speak for anyone else, but I never put any words in your mouth.

Last edited by Synopsis; 06-03-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM

30 posts, read 133,670 times
I know. This is ridiculous. What is the big deal between Houston and Dallas? Why do natives of one place dislike natives of the other so much? What's the deal???

I grew up in Chicago. Is it kind of like, either you're a Cubs fan or a Sox fan but never shall the two mix? Is that it? What's the deal with you guys?

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Haha, as an outsider, this Dallas vs. Houston thing is funny. My aunt lives in Houston and when talking to me about why she likes Houston over Dallas she said 'Im trying to be objective, but its hard. Houston doesn't like Dallas and vice versa".

I guess its kind of like SoCal Vs. NorCal- but I think you guys are worse

Old 06-03-2007, 06:12 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SepiaZelda View Post
If you make that distinction then you'd have to say that there is no such thig as a city of trees. Trees can't build cities, after all.
I think you know what I meant. City of trees=a city where most areas are literally built under a forest....a city known for it's green backdrop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas