Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 PM

9 posts, read 14,314 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm hoping some of you can help me out with some information. My family is hoping to relocate from the Chicago suburbs to the Dallas area in the next year. My job will allow me to transfer and would be located in Coppell. My step-daughter currently lives in Mesquite. I'm hoping to find an area that is not too bad of a drive to either location and don't know where to start. We are looking for a fairly large (4bd 2.5 bath) newer construction home in the 200-225k range. Is this possible? What cities would you suggest I look in? Also any other information you think would be helpful, school districts, things to do, etc... Also we are a mixed race family which is fairly common here but I've had people tell me we could run into issues in some areas of TX, I would hope in this day and age it really wouldn't be a problem, but figured I throw that out there just in case. I appreciate any advice anyone might have. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
I would start by looking in Coppell itself or in the parts of Valley Ranch that are zoned to Coppell ISD if you need public schools. You should be able to find a home that is <20 years old in your price/size range. You're not going to find anything that's just a few years old. Coppell's public schools are some of the best in the area and that keeps the home prices high. There is almost zero new construction (developments) in Coppell because the land is 99% built out. What they are still building are some $1M homes.

You could also look in Grapevine (next suburb to the west) and keep a 20 minute commute to Coppell, but you'd be 20 minutes further from your step-daughter in Mesquite (a 30ish minute drive from Coppell at off-peak hours like midday or weekends).

Mixed race is no big deal here. You certainly aren't the only family! Coppell itself is fairly diverse- lots of Indians, some Hispanics, Asians, etc.

There really isn't anything "between" Coppell and Mesquite that has good schools and is in your price range for newer construction.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM

That information helps, thanks! I've been looking at the map and trying to determine driving distances but not knowing what traffic is like it's really hard to judge. My current commute here is 45 minutes so anything less than or comparable to that is ok with me. My hope is to narrow my search down to a few suburbs so that I can research them and then when we come down at the end of summer have some solid ideas to give a realtor. The kids will be going to public school and we have boys who are very active in football and girls in gymnastics. Our schools here are very competitive in football but I'm guessing that any school in Texas will be also.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 PM

How far do you want to be from Mesquite? How often would you need to go there? There are more suburbs that fit your home & commute wants, but they're going to be further than 45 minutes from Mesquite.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm thinking no more than an hour from Mesquite. I was wondering looking at the map what the commute would be like from Mequite to Coppell. Looking online it appears that I could get a lot more for my money housewise is Mesquite. Of course it's hard to judge traffic/commute time from Mapquest, and have no idea what the schools are like, but was pretty impressed with some of the prices I saw is that area.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:54 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
I think the commute from Mesquite to Coppell would be atleast 45 minutes if not more on a good day. you would likely take 635 traveling west... along with everyone else. Richardson would probably be about in the middle, but wouldn't be new construction.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Large/newer construction in that price range doesn't really jibe with your other requirements - Richardson would be halfway but 635 LBJ is usually a disaster and even more so with construction for the next five years. If you only go to Mequite on weekends or very early/late the road will be much less congested unless there's a wreck or bad weather.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:14 PM

I'm thinking based on the responses that I really need to look closer to Coppell where I'll be working. I saw that Irving is kind of a halfway point between the two on the southern side. Any thoughts there? Also new construction is not really a deal breaker for us, it's what we have in Illinois but really just want to be sure we can get something in our price range that won't require a ton of work or updgrades. Also can anyone give me an idea of average daycare costs in the Dallas area?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
From my house in north Irving to Mesquite (rent house) is 50 minutes.

Suggest you might look in the North Garland/Firewheel area. Excellent schools and newish housing in your price range. You'd be taking the Geo Bush to work and traveling on a toll road, but you could make it to Coppell in about 30-40 minutes in traffic and its well located for Mesquite.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan41978 View Post
I'm thinking based on the responses that I really need to look closer to Coppell where I'll be working. I saw that Irving is kind of a halfway point between the two on the southern side. Any thoughts there? Also new construction is not really a deal breaker for us, it's what we have in Illinois but really just want to be sure we can get something in our price range that won't require a ton of work or updgrades. Also can anyone give me an idea of average daycare costs in the Dallas area?
Irving isn't halfway. It's adjacent to Coppell. And the public schools there are unsafe and poor quality.

Beware any commute involving 635-LBJ. They have just started a FIVE year project to make the highway a "double decker" and commute times are expected to double(!!!) while construction is ongoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas