Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,082 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right place to post since Plano is near Dallas.

I just got a job offer from Frito-Lay and will be moving to Dallas. I'm 30 years old and wondering if Plano is a good place to live for a somewhat young professional. If not, would you recommend northern part of Dallas?

Things I like: Crossfit, lacrosse, being active (outside activities). I'm not much of a drinker anymore, but would go out and grab some beers with friends, which I have none in Dallas.

Thanks,

Philip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,929 times
Austin Ranch or Legacy Village area are good for your needs and commute. Austin Ranch is connected to nature reserve and trails. Its very dog friendly so you can get a little furry friend.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:20 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,953 times
Plano? Not really, unless you're going to be an 80-hour/ week guy, and just want to be close to your office. The singles gathering spots in Plano cater to a clientele looking for their second spouse, not their first. I live in Plano, and think it's great, but it's more a place for families, not for young singles.

You'd definitely want to look at some of the young-skewing neighborhoods in Dallas.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Plano? Not really, unless you're going to be an 80-hour/ week guy, and just want to be close to your office. The singles gathering spots in Plano cater to a clientele looking for their second spouse, not their first. I live in Plano, and think it's great, but it's more a place for families, not for young singles.

You'd definitely want to look at some of the young-skewing neighborhoods in Dallas.
This. There is a small-ish community of young professionals in the Austin Ranch & Shops @ Legacy apartments, but I would STRONGLY consider Uptown. It's 25 minutes, straight shot against traffic on the Tollroad (so 30-35 min total commute door to desk). I did the drive for over 5 years from uptown and NOT ONCE did I ever think, geez- I wish I lived closer to work to avoid commuting!

There is SO much for you in uptown - multiple intramural leagues, tons of young professionals groups that support all the various non-profits (children's hospitals, big brothers & sisters, the arts, you name it!)- great for making friends and doing good! The Katy Trail is awesome and runs straight through uptown. There are multiple CrossFit locations as well as other "boot camp" type groups.

Yes, there's a ton of bars and nightlife, but just as many great casual spots with patios that are packed for brunch and happy hours. Check out places like the Katy Trail Ice House when you visit.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,082 times
Thanks for the information. I was looking at the pricing of renting in Uptown and quite surprise at the prices. These prices are similar to Chicago (1500 for a 1 bed room). I thought Dallas was cheaper to live in compared with Chicago.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Welcome to Dallas!

Overall, Dallas is cheaper. But certain desirable areas --like Uptown -- are going to be nearly expensive as any of their counterpart neighborhoods in other large cities, especially if you want to be in a building with all the conveniences (pool, gym, nubile hotties of both sexes, etc.)

I'd suggest looking in neighborhoods that are Uptown adjacent, like Oak Lawn (to the west and north of Uptown). It's slightly cheaper and offers a wider mix of older and newer apartments. This advice has been given many times but look in North Oak Lawn, between Lemmon Avenue and the Highland Park border. Look on a map and search out streets like Hawthorne, Gilbert, Herschel, Holland, Bowser, and Prescott. Some of these are older units that you'll only find by driving around and looking for signs. (If you're going to visit before you move, be sure to check this area out.)

It's quieter and greener than Uptown but nearby if you want to partake. It's a mix of older apartments and newer townhomes/condos and is full of young professionals but is less hectic than Uptown. It's also right near the Tollway and not far from Central Expressway. It's kind of the best of both worlds.

But if you want the big apartment complexes with all the bells and whistles, the other (east) side of Central Expressway from Uptown is more of a mix of good and sketchy areas but it's rapidly becoming gentrified. There's a huge new LA Fitness that just opened on that side of Central and more development is coming. Lots of new apartments are coming online in this area and my guess is they are cheaper than their equivalent units in Uptown proper.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calacro View Post
Thanks for the information. I was looking at the pricing of renting in Uptown and quite surprise at the prices. These prices are similar to Chicago (1500 for a 1 bed room). I thought Dallas was cheaper to live in compared with Chicago.
If youre looking to buy a house, it is cheaper. An apartment in Uptown, OakLawn, or Turtle Creek will offer few costs savings.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Look in The Village Apartments

Old 05-08-2013, 07:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
Austin Ranch or Legacy Village area are good for your needs and commute. Austin Ranch is connected to nature reserve and trails. Its very dog friendly so you can get a little furry friend.
I'd have to second this. I am a crossfitter and former renter at Austin Ranch.

To give you some more perspective, when I lived in Los Angeles and the Bay Area I moonlighted as a guide and used to climb 4,000-20,000 feet a week. I am a former Norcal Cat II bike racer.

I cannot recommend Austin Ranch enough if you are a very active person. There is nothing like it in the rest of DFW.

The hills around Austin Ranch are the highest in the area outside of S Dallas. Great for running. Lots of open space, trails, and all the roads have large grass areas along them. 24 hour fitness is nearby as well.

There are several good crossfit gyms within 4 miles of AR. I know a dozen people who live there who do crossfit and I see a lot of others doing WODs at the gyms in the complex. Lots of fitness minded people to meet and work out with.

The singles scene at AR is beyond belief. Over a dozen pools now. Lots of 20 somethings and older divorced 30 somethings. Most are college educated and professional.

Frito Lay is just minutes away...

Most venues are within 30 minutes - soccer and hockey to N in Frisco or downtown or Arlington.

Lacrosse has really taken off. A good friend was a starter at Duke and now coaches in the area. There are some leagues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
This. There is a small-ish community of young professionals in the Austin Ranch & Shops @ Legacy apartments, but I would STRONGLY consider Uptown. It's 25 minutes, straight shot against traffic on the Tollroad (so 30-35 min total commute door to desk). I did the drive for over 5 years from uptown and NOT ONCE did I ever think, geez- I wish I lived closer to work to avoid commuting!
LOL.

There are over 6000 singles living at AR or within 2 miles of it. Add in Legacy and SW Frisco and that number goes over 20,000 - Uptown is swamped. And units are a lot cheaper than Uptown.

I worked off Oaklawn for a number of years and its HARD to get in a good running workout. Gyms are crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas