Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,984 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody!

I'm a person who enjoys moving and experiencing new things. I guess that came from my dad, who moved us around all over the place growing up. I've lived in various places within Pennsylvania, New York, Virginia, W. Virginia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and California (West LA). I went to four different high schools. That was kinda tough, but I really liked all of it, excepting New England in general. I don't like the climate, and sad to say, while in person the people are just like anybody else, as strangers I find them to be a bit too reserved for my best liking.

That said, I've never met a Texan I didn't like. I think I was born to be a Texan, and my politics fit right in. I've narrowed down my "dream" area to near Dallas or Houston. I want to be within driving distance of a city (I'm a database developer), but far enough out to have a little land (by city standards--an acre or two would suit me just great), and a pool. I don't want to be so far out that I have to seriously worry about people shooting my dog. I'd like relative safety but I don't require a McMansion neighborhood. I'm not using that term in its pejorative sense, it's just that I care more about the 'backyard lifestyle' than super-cool houses. I like to garden, and I also get a kick out of growing vegetables in season.

Am I barking up the right tree, thinking of moving everything to Texas? I'm not married or with children, so I do not have those responsibilities to plan for.

Last edited by jsmoot; 06-21-2011 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: added two states I had overlooked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:02 PM

621 posts, read 1,334,365 times
You'll easily find something like that South of Dallas or in other directions too..

Justin, Haslet, Prosper and lots of other towns too

Old 06-26-2011, 03:11 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,101,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmoot View Post
Hi Everybody!

I'm a person who enjoys moving and experiencing new things. I guess that came from my dad, who moved us around all over the place growing up. I've lived in various places within Pennsylvania, New York, Virginia, W. Virginia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and California (West LA). I went to four different high schools. That was kinda tough, but I really liked all of it, excepting New England in general. I don't like the climate, and sad to say, while in person the people are just like anybody else, as strangers I find them to be a bit too reserved for my best liking.

That said, I've never met a Texan I didn't like. I think I was born to be a Texan, and my politics fit right in. I've narrowed down my "dream" area to near Dallas or Houston. I want to be within driving distance of a city (I'm a database developer), but far enough out to have a little land (by city standards--an acre or two would suit me just great), and a pool. I don't want to be so far out that I have to seriously worry about people shooting my dog. I'd like relative safety but I don't require a McMansion neighborhood. I'm not using that term in its pejorative sense, it's just that I care more about the 'backyard lifestyle' than super-cool houses. I like to garden, and I also get a kick out of growing vegetables in season.

Am I barking up the right tree, thinking of moving everything to Texas? I'm not married or with children, so I do not have those responsibilities to plan for.

Think you'll find just what you need here in Texas. Probably more likely in Houston, but there are some areas in Dallas metro that will fit that as well. Have you also checked out Austin? Sounds like that's a perfect fit for you. Land w/ be a little cheaper as well.

And more often than not...in the country or sub-suburbs dogs are considered more than just target practice. Someone might use those type of people as target practice. If you know what I mean. In the country areas...it really is more of the motto:

YouTube - ‪John Wayne- I WON'T BE WRONGED‬‏

It's kinda corny and satirical, but has more than a ring of truth to it.

Welcome to Texas. I hope it's all you've thought it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: