Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 12:38 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,921 times

Advertisements

I wish the Hippies would stay in Austin, or the 60's. There time is over and gone. Sorry had to say it I don't think there is any thing I dislike more than a dirty hippie.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 01:09 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,034 times
As a little kid in the 1960's I remember my parents driving us along Turtle Creek Blvd. so we could look at all the hippies hanging out in Lee Park. It's a little more gentrified now!

Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
I am still of the opinion that the 60s really didn't get to Dallas until 1970!

Old 08-08-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I am still of the opinion that the 60s really didn't get to Dallas until 1970!
That's probably true - things were a little calmer here than in other places. I clearly remember riding in the backseat of our 1967 Mercury so it would have been after that!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM

Hmm, did you have the cool sequential turn signal tail lights?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM

Yes! We had two Mercury's around that time and one of them was a 1967 Cougar with hidden headlights and sequential taillights. Both were purchased at Downtown Lincoln-Mercury on Commerce Street. I remember being in their showroom on several occasions and really, really, really wanting my parents to buy a Continental convertible with suicide doors. As a little kid, I just couldn't understand why that type of car was impractical (and, frankly, unaffordable) for a young family with small children. LOL! I remember playing in the ones in the showroom which, I'm sure, thrilled the salemen.

Oops, I think I hijacked this thread.....sorry!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,543,442 times
hmmm, hippies in Dallas?

Maybe just passing through . . . down by the Greyhound bus station?

And that is no anti-hippy statement. Just saying the way things tend to be. This is J.R. Ewing Corporate Ho' land. It is money that matters. Screw anyone and anything else.

For better or worse, Mrs. Phil is pretty much a hippy. So our house and kids are all veggie, folk music is always the order of the day, sandals even on snowy days. I have been banned (by her) from doing weapons (and I am a former military officer and engineer type) which is a major industrial past-time in these parts.

Cosmic Cafe is ok, but not really hippy in an effective cultural imprint sort of way. Really more Hindu, which when translated to American looks hippy. But we like it fine. Thinking back I think that is where I took her on first date. If you like that place try the Hindu temple in East Dallas, as well. Open courtyard Hindu / veggie dining attached to the temple.

Suppose if you are really looking for hippies, you might look the same place(s) Mrs. Phil says that we can raise the kids -- Anywhere but Texas.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:02 PM

Here's the restaurant in East Dallas: Kalachandjis Restaurant and Palace - Gourmet Vegetarian Food, Dallas, Texas

Also Joan Baez played at the Lakewood Theater recently. About 20 years ago we had what was left of the Mamas and Papas play at the annual Lakewood Street Dance...we feted them for a couple of days at some private homes and it was quite an education.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:59 PM

49 posts, read 218,985 times
There are different subsets of hippies, I think.

Dallas does have the Dallas Peace Center ( Dallas Peace Center | the oldest and largest peace and justice organization in North Texas ), which could be one place to start looking, depending on the kind of hippies you're looking for.

(Disclaimer: I don't live in Dallas but am moving there next month.)

Old 08-09-2007, 12:31 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWMike View Post
I was just being dramatic about blowing up fry street lol. Btw Jab, you apparently have some kind of handle on where the hippie scene is, so why ask?
nah i dont actually. i use in "hippie" in the broadest sense of the term. when i was walking around deep ellum back in 1999 i saw a number of them.... they may have or may not have been "real hippes" whatever the hell that is... but they looked like they were.

i thought... wow... this is cool... i thought dallas was all cowboy-republican-hehaw and all that jazz.. you know the stereotype portrayed... but when i saw this "other world" that i thought only existed in places like cali or maybe austin up in dallas... i gained more respect for dallas.

now that deep ellum is gone... and i dont know much about where the counter culturalists in dallas hang now... i wonder if that part about dallas that i thought was shattering the stereotype is all gone. id like to think it isnt and that dallas isnt all one dimension like its portrayed in the media and everyone i talk to.

so im searching for this... its a bigger issue for me.

i have some leads now thanks to everyone here about where folks who shatter the dallas stereotype hang out.... seems very scattered.... so im going to check this out now.

i know about denton. Denton as small as it is impresses me everyday.

but i just can't believe that Dallas or the DFW metroplex as big as it is wouldnt impress me. So far im not impressed by it. But maybe after i check out these leads i might gain more of a respect for it.

Hey if all Dallas has is big money, plastic women and cowboys.. then so be it. But I want to find out for myself and develop an expereinced opinion rather then talking crap from the outside and not doing any diggin in Dallas to back up my claims.

I want to like Dallas. Im giving it a chance.

thnx to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas