Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Being "spicy" does not necessarily mean or define good Mexican food. Some is, some isn't. I am a native Texan who is familar with dozens of authentic Mexican food and Tex-Mex restaurants.
I said my mother thinks ketchup is spicy, which means she likes really bland food, and she likes El Fenix.

I'm a native Texan, too, and I married a guy from South Texas who grew up eating more Mexican food than anything else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 06:44 PM

2,714 posts, read 2,216,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
eating outside in the summer time is masochistic
Then I am a masochistic. I would rather have 100 degrees instead of 30 degrees any day. That is why they make shorts. As long as there is shade, fans blowing and cold beer I am fine. We have gone into to many restaurants and it would be dark and cold.
Give me light and heat any day.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Give me a hot patio and a frozen margarita any day over our Super Bowl weather.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:02 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,086 times
Just ate at Tupy's. Love that place!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I love El Fenix - it is a Dallas tradition - especially on Wednesday's when the enchilada dinner special is served. I usually go Downtown but sometimes to NW Highway and Hillcrest and Casa Linda. I went to the Addison one a year or so ago and it was bad...the old NorthPark location was also good as one of the family members (what was that lady's name, I can see her like it was yesterday - she has since passed away) ran the show. Alfred was always in charge downtown.
I like the one at Forest and Webb Chapel as well as the one downtown. I've never been to the Addison one--whenever we go to El Fenix we go to the one on Forest.

The Northwest Highway/Hillcrest one isn't bad either.

If the place were bad, it wouldn't have been open for 93 years and going strong. That's all one needs to say. They aren't trying to serve "Mexican" food or spicy food. The entire point of the place was to make the at the time completely foreign Mexican food that Mike Martinez ate palatable to the gringos. Therefore, he used beef and slathered cheese on the stuff. The result was delicous, but can hardly be called "Mexican." However, in Texas, "Mexican food" means Tex-Mex, not authentic Mexican food.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:01 AM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
As far as chains go El Fenix is the best. My favorite authentic is Galindos at Abrams and Northwest Hwy in the old Long Johns Silvers. Family operated good prices and everything is good.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 AM

100 posts, read 440,604 times
Another vote for Matt's here. The patio is great. And don't forget to try either the Bob Armstrong dip or Smoked Bob (or both). Good stuff. Go while you still can!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:36 AM

237 posts, read 499,549 times
The Old Town Mariano's is (was) my all time favorite restaurant back in the day. So disappointed to see it close, the day we drove up and they had boarded up the windows was quite sad! I still have 4 of their 48oz margarita glasses, where you would buy the drink and keep the fishbowl-glass as a souvenir. So now I will recommend the new Skillman Mariano's Hacienda as my favorite, even though they finally did away with the huge margaritas.

That being said, I have yet to try Matt's, but I'd like too soon based on the high praise I have heard, both here and elsewhere.

<raises 48oz rita...>

Cheers!
j

Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 AM

277 posts, read 577,447 times
My wife really likes Manny's near her work in Uptown. Its off of Lemmon and something...close to West Village near North Central Expressway.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I like Mariano's at Old Town better before they 'flipped' the lounge and dining room. Does anyone remember those tan leather barrel swivel-chairs in the lounge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas