Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 PM

65 posts, read 122,580 times

Advertisements

We came from a fantastic neighborhood in Raleigh, NC where we had regular block parties, kids had sleepovers and ran from house to house to play like the good ol' days, the adults all got along and partied together, and we had a community 'resort style' pool where we would gather at and hang together on a very regular basis during the summer.

Does that exist anywhere here in D? We are extremely social as are our children. "Keeping to ourselves" is the opposite of our character. Just an example, when I said my goodbyes on my Facebook page, there were 33 responses, mostly from my neighborhood friends.

So, does a community, like I described above, exist somewhere in D?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,271,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenBook777 View Post
We came from a fantastic neighborhood in Raleigh, NC where we had regular block parties, kids had sleepovers and ran from house to house to play like the good ol' days, the adults all got along and partied together, and we had a community 'resort style' pool where we would gather at and hang together on a very regular basis during the summer.

Does that exist anywhere here in D? We are extremely social as are our children. "Keeping to ourselves" is the opposite of our character. Just an example, when I said my goodbyes on my Facebook page, there were 33 responses, mostly from my neighborhood friends.

TIA!
Only 33? Of course they exist. They're all over DFW. Not just in the suburbs either. I'd say some of the most close knit communities are in Dallas itself where all those things exist. But with more than 33 responses on facebook. That's just sad. :-)

Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Only 33? Of course they exist. They're all over DFW. Not just in the suburbs either. I'd say some of the most close knit communities are in Dallas itself where all those things exist. But with more than 33 responses on facebook. That's just sad. :-)
Yes, I know, pathetic. I should have tried harder, ya know?

So, you seem in the know. Suggestions of these neighborhoods please?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
The neighborhood resort-style pool thing really only exists here in the new, master-planned communities in the outer ring suburbs like Keller, Frisco, etc. But there are MANY neighborhoods where the neighbors gather, and all know each other well, throughout the metroplex.

Where will your work be and what is your budget for housing?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:20 PM

695 posts, read 1,448,035 times
My neighborhood, Castle Hills in Lewisville/North Carrollton, is like that. We moved here about six months ago. In that amount of time, we've started hosting the couple managing the neighborhood youth ministry in our home. My 11-year-old has friends all over the neighborhood, and he hasn't even started at the neighborhood school yet. We have three get-togethers with neighbors this holiday weekend--two on the same night. And we have 25 parks and three nice neighborhood pools.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,271,339 times
Quote:
Yes, I know, pathetic. I should have tried harder, ya know?

So, you seem in the know. Suggestions of these neighborhoods please?
The neighborhoods like that are too many to mention. What is your budget and where is your job? New Hampshire and DFW are the same size. There is a lot to choose from.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,708,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
The neighborhoods like that are too many to mention. What is your budget and where is your job? New Hampshire and DFW are the same size. There is a lot to choose from.
You should really get a bumper sticker that says that(New Hampshire and DFW are the same size). Maybe get some t-shirts made while you're at it.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 PM

We will be renting a home in the $1500-$2300 range. Spouse's job is in Richardson. I am segueing from a successful real estate career into God-only-knows-what career, so I don't have a job locale as of yet.

racehorse, Castle Hills is stunning! When I searched for rentals, nothing under $3K is available. Do you know of anyone wanting to lease their home in my price range?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Quote:

TIA!
Yes, they exist! The first ones to come to mind are out of your price range, but you should check out Sparkman Club Estates in 75229. It's in northwest Dallas (south of 635, west of Tollroad). About 10-15 minutes to Richardson and it's a reverse commute.

Here's the neighborhood's website. It's a great family neighborhood where young & old, empty nesters and familes all look out for one another and enjoy events throughout the year that are now "tradition." It has a community pool and tennis courts and club house- very "modern" for a neighborhood built in the 1950's!
July 4th Picture Collage

Exemplary rated elementary school, recognized middle & high schools, and plenty of private schools nearby if you're interested in that.

There's one home for rent on craig's list - 4 bed/ 2 bath for $1,950 per month. Can't post the link, but if you go to apartments & homes for rent and then use the search word "Sparkman" it pops up.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,751,787 times
Murphy. All of the neighborhoods are pretty close knit. Obviously those with HOA's and their social activities make it easier to get to know folks, but the older, non-HOA neighborhoods are also very social.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas