Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 PM

117 posts, read 257,460 times

Advertisements

So, I am a college student and am deciding on attending university in Dallas...I was going to attend in Albuquerque, but decided not to.

Anywho...my Uni is located in downtown Dallas so I am hoping to find an apartment within 30-45 minutes of downtown Dallas for around $500...I know that might be low, but it is all I can afford until I find a job. Until then, student loans support me.

I am looking for a studio in a safe area.

If you have any suggestions please let me know...I am unsure if you are allowed to post links, so PM me if needed.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:46 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Here (http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/apa/2503867427.html - broken link) is a place in Junius Heights. It is on the corner of Junius and Lowell in Junius Heights. 5-10 minutes tops from downtown. This is a house that has been converted into a couple of one bedroom apartments and a studio apartment. The rest of the immediate area is all single family homes. A good friend of mine has a lovely house with a pool two doors down from here. It is near Lipscomb Elementary. The neighborhood is Very safe. It made This Old House's list of Top 10 Neighborhoods last year. I live in it myself and love it.
Frankly the budget of around $500 is almost impossible to mesh with "safe" in Dallas. A place like this from an independent landlord in a converted fourplex, is really the only way to do it. Any complex you could get into for that kind of cost would NOT be safe. There are very few spaces in that price range in safe areas in Dallas.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 AM

It does not need to be directly in Dallas...I don't mind commuting.

Any other suggested places? I guess it doesn't need to be super safe...just safe enough I wont get robbed, shot, or mugged :P though I am skeptical it would happen to me...haha.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Macbeth's suggestion is very good. What's the point of living farther away and spending more gas money on a commute...not to mention the time.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:13 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
This one is near both bus and rail; walking distance to the DART station. It is in the downtown Irving district. Cute little village but not preppy at all and many fairly low income. You shouldn't get mugged or raped here.\

updated 1bed/1bath apartment freshly painted,new floors

Old 07-21-2011, 10:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I would listen to Macbeth here -- Lowell is a very nice street with some homes in the $500K range. This is on the corner. You find things like that around Old East Dallas - you won't find that farther out. Here you would be 5-10 minutes from work! You can walk down the street to the Garden Cafe or up the street to Lakewood Library, Theater and shopping, restaurants, pubs, wine bars and coffee shops (and Whole Foods and Lakewood Country Club). OR you can walk across one of the most famous streets in Dallas, Swiss Avenue (where a lot of folks walk or jog), to yet another wine bar, pubs, restaurants and shopping. In the other direction is Randall Park, the track at Woodrow Wilson High and the Santa Fe trail to Deep Ellum/Downtown and White Rock Lake. Did I mention 5-10 minutes from work?

I live in the area and only have to buy gas once a month or so!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:44 AM

173 posts, read 402,151 times
You might consider getting a roommate or moving to the Village Apartments, lots of students there. That is a very slim budget for Dallas. I do wonder though because there are not any universities in Downtown Dallas, I hope you got the right location, directions etc. I don't know any safe areas in that price range.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
You might consider getting a roommate or moving to the Village Apartments, lots of students there. That is a very slim budget for Dallas. I do wonder though because there are not any universities in Downtown Dallas, I hope you got the right location, directions etc. I don't know any safe areas in that price range.
Isn't El Centro in Dallas? I am attending a 2 year because my first year at my 4 year was about $25,000 too much in costs...haha.

Any other suggestions? Are there any popular newspaper classifieds I can access online?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massflorida View Post
Isn't El Centro in Dallas? I am attending a 2 year because my first year at my 4 year was about $25,000 too much in costs...haha.

Any other suggestions? Are there any popular newspaper classifieds I can access online?

El Centro is indeed in downtown Dallas. It is also easily accessible by DART.
You could look on Craigslist.

DART.org - DART Rail System Map

Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM

702 posts, read 2,723,965 times
That $500 budget is going to be tough to work around. I suggest you look for a roomate and even then that budget will be tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas