Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 04:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times

Advertisements

Eco-friendly building to fill Arcadia Theater site | [an error occurred while processing this directive]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM

14 posts, read 59,637 times
Default Lakewood Eateries:

In my day, around 1950, you could not go hungry in Lakewood if you had a little money. I recall,

Rollies Steak House
Click's Drive In
El Chico
Lim Yee's Chinese
Lobello's Barbecue
Lakewood Drug Lunch Counter
Cabell's Ice Cream Parlor
Dunton's Cafeteria
Snappy Service Diner
Wyatt's Cafeteria
Skillerns Lunch Counter
Howard and Ruby's Hamburgers
Harrell's Lunch Counter--my favorite

And don't forget Mrs. Braden's Bakery--Bear Claws to die for!

Oh yes, The Waffle House, but it came later I think.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junius View Post
In my day, around 1950, you could not go hungry in Lakewood if you had a little money. I recall,

Rollies Steak House
Click's Drive In
El Chico
Lim Yee's Chinese
Lobello's Barbecue
Lakewood Drug Lunch Counter
Cabell's Ice Cream Parlor
Dunton's Cafeteria
Snappy Service Diner
Wyatt's Cafeteria
Skillerns Lunch Counter
Howard and Ruby's Hamburgers
Harrell's Lunch Counter--my favorite

And don't forget Mrs. Braden's Bakery--Bear Claws to die for!

Oh yes, The Waffle House, but it came later I think.

Wow -- I hope you can fill me in on a few of these places - like Howard and Ruby's, Dunton's, Lakewood Drug, Rollie's, Click's and I have heard of Lobello's (wasn't that on Greenville?). I remember the rest -- Snappy's was the hamburger lean-to behind Lakewood Theater, right? I always heard the Rats shot out the windows once.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Wow -- I hope you can fill me in on a few of these places - like Howard and Ruby's, Dunton's, Lakewood Drug, Rollie's, Click's and I have heard of Lobello's (wasn't that on Greenville?). I remember the rest -- Snappy's was the hamburger lean-to behind Lakewood Theater, right? I always heard the Rats shot out the windows once.
Howard and Ruby operated a tiny little hamburger joint next to the White Star Laundry on Abrams. They later moved downtown to a larger place. Dunton's later became Seven Seas; I don't recall Vincent's ever being there. Lakewood Drug was on the NE corner of Gaston and LaVista. Rollie's was on Abrams just south of the water towers, and Click's was in there somewhere. There was a serious rumble with broken beer bottles involving the Rats at Rollies. Pretty sure Lobello's was on Abrams near Trice Plumbing. Mitchell's Barbecue was on Lower Greenville. Snappy Service was in a little stand alone building next to the theater.

Harrell's had to close on Sunday because the landlord put that in the lease. Mr. Henry and Mr. Johnson ran the lunch counter. Mr. Henry later opened his own Carnation store on Oak Lawn. It is now Snuffy's I think.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 PM

I have heard of Mr. Henry. Seven Seas was owned by Mr. Stefanos, his kids went to Woodrow with me (now his grandkids are there). Lakewood Drug had another name, and I think they took out the lunch counter. I know that the Wyatt's was the first one.

Was Rollie's originally Prince of Hamburgers (owned by the Rachals on Lakewood Blvd?) That was later Dan's Lakewood Cafe (owned by the Millers). I remember Trice Carpets (Joe somebody owned it). The water towers came down in the late 40s, early 50s? There are apartments there now. I can barely remember Evans Grocery along there (owned by Mayor Jack Evans wWw '40).

Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I have heard of Mr. Henry. Seven Seas was owned by Mr. Stefanos, his kids went to Woodrow with me (now his grandkids are there). Lakewood Drug had another name, and I think they took out the lunch counter. I know that the Wyatt's was the first one.

Was Rollie's originally Prince of Hamburgers (owned by the Rachals on Lakewood Blvd?) That was later Dan's Lakewood Cafe (owned by the Millers). I remember Trice Carpets (Joe somebody owned it). The water towers came down in the late 40s, early 50s? There are apartments there now. I can barely remember Evans Grocery along there (owned by Mayor Jack Evans wWw '40).
Don't remember Prince of Hamburgers except on Lemmon. Trice Plumbing is, I think, still on the west side of Abrams. Oh yes, now I remember the little grocery. Jack Evans was the Prez of Tom Thumb later.

As for Lobello's, you may be thinking of Sammy's on Greenville. Interesting little tidbits to be found in "Reminisces, A Glimpose of Old East Dallas". Probably have a copy in the library. Used to live on that very spot. Another favorite spotwas the watermelon stand around the corner on Ross.

Last edited by junius; 02-20-2009 at 09:32 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 12:41 AM

104 posts, read 421,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
Wow! I remember the Goffs on Forest Lane. My favorite thing on the menu was the "Weinerschnitzel". We used to go hang out after school there. Doe snayone remember Hannah's Pies on Forest Lane? My very first job! How about Springer stables? Boarded my first horse there.
Hannah's pies was a nightly stop on Forest Lane. Were the Springer Stables on Marsh north of Valley View?

BLD

Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Anybody remember the old PC Cobb stadium located off I35. The all concrete seats were something my back can't forget.
i do not personally remember PC Cobb Stadium but i do know all the history of it as i am one out of his ten great-grandchildren. i am one out of the four that were born and raised right here in dallas. i have the only other copy of the painting that is inside the infomart in dallas of him that was given to him during one of the last ceremonies at the stadium. i have pictures that my "memaw" (his wife) took and i remember her telling me stories about the stadium.

I find it very interesting and very heart-warming to see that the stadium and my great-grandfather were and still are important enough to be found on the huge world of the internet!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:00 PM

104 posts, read 421,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan1014 View Post
i do not personally remember PC Cobb Stadium but i do know all the history of it as i am one out of his ten great-grandchildren. i am one out of the four that were born and raised right here in dallas. i have the only other copy of the painting that is inside the infomart in dallas of him that was given to him during one of the last ceremonies at the stadium. i have pictures that my "memaw" (his wife) took and i remember her telling me stories about the stadium.

I find it very interesting and very heart-warming to see that the stadium and my great-grandfather were and still are important enough to be found on the huge world of the internet!
I played many a Junior High football game there for T. J Rusk Rams back in the late 1969 and 1970.

BLD

Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Morgan you might find this interesting:

SPORTS GRIDIRON GREATS | Articles - Multi | test | D Magazine -- Dallas Fort Worth's Resource for City Guides, Daily Blogs, D Bests, Restaurants, and Events Calendar

Also at which schools did Coach Cobb coach? I think I heard he was at Dallas/Bryan High (later called Crozier Tech) and Sunset? Is that right?

I remember several games at Cobb Stadium. The very famous Dr Pepper basketball tournament was held in the field house -- Don Meredith made his mark there -- IN BASKETBALL.

As a kid I remember watching Woodrow vs. Samuell on television (big deal then) play for the city football championship at Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas