Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,061,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yup- but remember that starting in 2008, nearly 1,000 people are moving to Texas every day for our job market and "excellent" economy. If we hadn't experienced so much immigration, Texas' unemployment rate would probably be in th high 6%'s right now.
If there weren't as many people moving here, there wouldn't be as many job openings either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM

19,915 posts, read 18,210,924 times
Quote:
Yup- but remember that starting in 2008, nearly 1,000 people are moving to Texas every day for our job market and "excellent" economy. If we hadn't experienced so much immigration, Texas' unemployment rate would probably be in th high 6%'s right now.
I think that is exactly right.

Some things I noticed recently as we are moving into a much bigger/better warehouse.
1. Warehousing space in Dallas/Carrollton/FB and Plano is becoming harder to find and more expensive.

2. It's harder to find skilled and semi-skilled employees now versus a year ago. Translated I think the DFW economy is improving nicely and the broader numbers will likely support that notion over the next few months.

3. I have noticed one thing that really bothers me and this thought comes up on CD most every day and that is people, and I am talking about some people with exactly ZERO skills, move here hoping to find a job. It's really sad.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
If there weren't as many people moving here, there wouldn't be as many job openings either.

To a degree that's right - but economics is VERY complex. At a certain point if lots of low skilled people sans jobs keep coming things will get worse not better. However, if skilled highly productive folks with jobs keep moving in they countervail the drag of low skilled folks.

We also need to other big states - Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Pa., NY, NJ Florida, California even Georgia to improve their respective business climates ASAP or being the best is going to become a big problem.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
To a degree that's right - but economics is VERY complex. At a certain point if lots of low skilled people sans jobs keep coming things will get worse not better. However, if skilled highly productive folks with jobs keep moving in they countervail the drag of low skilled folks.
Oh I agree that it's complex. I was only saying that you can't calculate what the unemployment rate would be if people weren't moving here by assuming the same number of jobs would be available. I am thinking that an increase in unskilled workers will put skilled workers in more demand though which will be beneficial to some.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Oh I agree that it's complex. I was only saying that you can't calculate what the unemployment rate would be if people weren't moving here by assuming the same number of jobs would be available. I am thinking that an increase in unskilled workers will put skilled workers in more demand though which will be beneficial to some.

I think all of that is correct.

The issue is this. So far DFW in particular has been creating enough high skilled/high pay jobs that the low/no skilled new people haven't yet hurt things in the aggregate.

The other point is that if no new people had moved in the U3 UE number would certainly be much lower. But you are right there is no easy way to calculate what it would be.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,352,969 times
Quote:
Not exactly. I work for a national retailer who has been hiring lately to "beef up" certain segments of our business.....none of which has anything to do with our Texas stores. We just happen to be HQ'd here. Similar things happening with AT&T, Southwest, etc. The #1 industry creating jobs in Texas is energy due to rising oil prices and land exploration needs. No direct relation to people moving here.

The only jobs really benefiting from people moving into the state are service jobs (which have lower pay and no/little benefits) and real estate/ builders (builders to a certain extent).

Old 07-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
The only jobs really benefiting from people moving into the state are service jobs (which have lower pay and no/little benefits) and real estate/ builders (builders to a certain extent).
Jobs are jobs. The unemployment rate isn't affected by how much a job pays. If so many of the people moving to Texas are unskilled, then I'd say it's a good thing that they're creating unskilled job positions. I'll note though that someone has to manage these extra workers. Someone has to do the extra accounting on the payrolls. Someone has to set up and maintain the computer network and/or cash register systems in the new stores and restaurants built. It's pretty much all affected by population. Yeah, maybe national headquarters won't be affected much by people moving here, but few people work at those anyway. So no, there wouldn't be as many jobs if people weren't moving here, and unemployment might be a bit higher, but not dramatically so.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:27 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,825,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
you know, I remember a long time ago I had a couple of friends in my circle..a guy and a girl who were always at each other's throats...cats and dogs...it was always world war around those two...well fast forward a few years and they ended up getting married...not saying that's whats going to happen to you two, but you just remind me of that couple so much...oh well carry on.
LOL..Now THAT is funny stuff. I am happily married with too many kids! First impressions are everything I guess, neither of ours seems to be very positive towards one another.

Truth is, I have nothing but love for all my Dallas CD forum friends..I consider you like extended family, and sometimes family squabbles.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 948 times
Would anyone here move to Dallas without a job, but has a college degree (politics, but doesn't need to be a political job0? How long would I be looking for a job?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,355,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy300 View Post
Would anyone here move to Dallas without a job, but has a college degree (politics, but doesn't need to be a political job0? How long would I be looking for a job?
I will reiterate my previous statement: Don't move here without a job. The unemployment rate in DFW is almost 9%. Why set yourself up for hardship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas