Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,892,017 times

Advertisements

Even though you are a Sooner....repped you!

not only the SAME info over and over the SAME pictures! BY the DOZENS!!!
I always wonder why other people's threads get edited by mods for posting copyrighted material etc...but Lakewooder's never does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 04:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Sorry if my love for my neighborhood and its schools offends you. Please refrain from reading about them if it irks you. You can attack me personally, that's ok - but please try to keep an open mind about the others in my area.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 PM

10 posts, read 29,521 times
Agree with Lakewooder. Disagree with DFWMike.

The schools that serve the Lakewood neighborhood, including Long and Woodrow, are very good and trending even better (despite the challenges of the attendance zone including poor performers in other parts of East Dallas). If the attendance zones are ever re-drawn and Long/Woodrow truly become Lakewood-only schools (which will eventually happen by the way), watch how fast Lakewood schools become carbon copies of the Park Cities schools.

Regardless, the kids from Lakewood that go through Lakewood Elementary, Long Middle and Woodrow High do very well for themselves.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 PM

28 posts, read 27,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
DFW_Mike: Why do you feel the need to slander my mental health? I have not made any personal attacks on you except that I made flippant comment on another thread. I am asking you to cease and desist your stalking and trolling behavior. I am asking you nicely.
Stalking? I started this thread. Seems I struck a nerve. Sorry about that.

Anybody have comments on the actual content of my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Mike View Post

The Newsweek / WP rankings were firmly debunked in a previous thread.
Straight from Washington Post website/ranking:
The formula is simple: Divide the number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or other college-level tests a school gave in 2010 by the number of graduating seniors. While not a measure of the overall quality of the school, the rating can reveal the level of a high school’s commitment to preparing average students for college.

In other words, you could place an AP exam in front of every single student in the school (including deaf and special ed) and be ranked number one in the country. It says nothing about WHETHER THEY ACTUALLY PASSED!!!!!!!!! It's a measure of the school's commitment "to prepare average students for college". Ouch.

It's ironic that tests that actually measure the ability to read and perform math (TAKS) are referred to as garbage, while a worthless ranking is celebrated.

Biafra, google "schooldigger.com woodrow wilson dallas" and scroll to the very bottom. You will see the trend of declining white attendance. Sorry I can't link to anything from this computer, or I'd do it for you. If Woody is correct, and affluent whites are flooding to the Lakewood area, they appear to be trickling away from Woodrow. How can that be?

Why is it relevant? Poster Turtlecreek has noted many times that 15% of the school population (whites) perform very well and carry the load academically. As this number declines, where will this leave Woodrow Wilson if it's already been deemed Academically Unacceptable?
or:
White crawl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
2000-2001 - 274 out of 1,324 (20.7%)
2001-2002 - 277 out of 1,338 (20.7%)
2002-2003 - 278 out of 1,322 (21.0%)
2003-2004 - 286 out of 1,325 (21.6%)
2004-2005 - 291 out of 1,348 (21.6%)
2005-2006 - 276 out of 1,422 (19.4%)
2006-2007 - 252 out of 1,319 (19.1%)
2007-2008 - 243 out of 1,291 (18.8%)
2008-2009 - 244 out of 1,396 (17.5%)
2009-2010 - 228 out of 1,390 (16.4%)
2010-2011 - 245 out of 1,467 (16.7%)
Turtlecreek seems to appreciate research and facts rather than anecdotes and fluff. I'd like to get her opinion on the long term impact of the above.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
I've been following this thread and I am curious about a couple of things...why do we keep emphasizing the achievements of the white students, and why is this dichotomy between white and 'minority' performance seemingly accepted? I'm not trying to start a fight here, I am genuinely curious.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,446,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've been following this thread and I am curious about a couple of things...why do we keep emphasizing the achievements of the white students, and why is this dichotomy between white and 'minority' performance seemingly accepted? I'm not trying to start a fight here, I am genuinely curious.
I think the reason here is let's face it; when you are talking about affluent families in Lakewood, you are referring mainly to white families as far as I know... Lakewood has not been a magnet for affluent non white families who tend to either go further south to Cedar Hill and those environs, or to the northern suburbs. Now that is not a diss to Lakewood, Highland Park has an even more pronounced tendency in this regard, it's simply the way it is.

But regardless, you're right. It's dumb to equate achievements as being only achievable by white students. After all there are plenty of non white high performers in Plano and other districts. I think the more accurate thing to say would be Lakewood could stand to lose affluent families of ALL races as long as the schools are perceived to be substandard.

I do have to say after reading Lakewooder's post...what's curious to me is the fact that Woodrow was allowed to have the IB program...yet it struggles on the TAKS assessments...now they are not related, IB has nothing to do with TAKS, but it's a curious mix to say the least.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Mike View Post
Stalking? I started this thread. Seems I struck a nerve. Sorry about that.

Anybody have comments on the actual content of my post?

or:
White crawl:

Turtlecreek seems to appreciate research and facts rather than anecdotes and fluff. I'd like to get her opinion on the long term impact of the above.
Well I'm not Turtlecreek but I'll give you my comments;

I remain unconvinced that the Lakewood schools cannot turn this around. There are plenty of school districts that have outperformed the "Holy Trinity" of Collin County; those being Frisco, McKinney and Allen...High schools in Garland and Richardson, with far higher levels of minority/reduced lunch/esl students have higher SAT scores than ANY high school in Frisco/McKinney/Allen. So if they could do it, then I see no reason why Lakewood schools cant do it either. In fairness, this might be out of Lakewoods hands to a degree since they are part of DISD (a trainwreck to say the least) but with local support it can be done.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:46 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
My take on Woodrow specifically remains unchanged: it's an urban school with a VERY diverse student body and a lot of challenges that suburban school districts don't have to deal with on such a widespread scale (economically disadvantaged/ free lunch, minority super-majority, etc). The "school within a school" for the AP/Honors kids has been a strong program for many, many years and will only get stronger with the new IB program. Students in this academic "bubble" go on to score similarly on SAT, AP, etc as their suburban counterparts and have a great track record with competitive college admissions.

To answer BigDGeek's question about pulling out the white student's scores, I do it for one reason: about 95+% of white students at Woodrow live in Lakewood "proper" (as opposed to the other East Dallas neighborhoods zoned for Woodrow) and nearly all of them are in the "school within a school" bubble academically. While there are certainly high performing blacks and Hispanics in that "bubble", their test scores are mixed in with their low-performing counterparts and therefore are much higher to isolate.

I don't think Woodrow will ever be a second HPHS in the city because of te albatross that is DISD's school board. But can it become the crown jewel neighborhood high school of the district? Yes, I think it has the potential to do so IF/WHEN it can find a way to break up the "school within a school" environment and really challenge/ raise expectations for the low performing 70-75% of the student body.

As far as the white % of student body (DFWMike's ?), the numbers appear to be stable since 2005-2006 and down a bit from earlier this decade. I don't know what factors caused the shrink from 20% to 15%, but can only give you this antedote from my friends who have kids at Lakewood and Jackson elementaries: they're basically taking the "wait & see" approach for grades 6-12. Some hope to buy time before affording to move back into HPISD (where they grew up). Most are confident Woodrow will be great in 7-9 years when their kids are 9th grade aged. Most are pretty wary about Long and will strongly consider pulling out for 6-8 and then reevaluating Woodrow's situation for 9. There are just sooooooo many families in Lakewood now- and at Lakewood Elem or in the early childhood PTA. I can't imagine Lakewood Elementary's white % having increased by 50% in the past decade won't play a roll in Woodrow's changing demographics in the near-term future.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
My take on Woodrow specifically remains unchanged: it's an urban school with a VERY diverse student body and a lot of challenges that suburban school districts don't have to deal with on such a widespread scale (economically disadvantaged/ free lunch, minority super-majority, etc). The "school within a school" for the AP/Honors kids has been a strong program for many, many years and will only get stronger with the new IB program. Students in this academic "bubble" go on to score similarly on SAT, AP, etc as their suburban counterparts and have a great track record with competitive college admissions.

To answer BigDGeek's question about pulling out the white student's scores, I do it for one reason: about 95+% of white students at Woodrow live in Lakewood "proper" (as opposed to the other East Dallas neighborhoods zoned for Woodrow) and nearly all of them are in the "school within a school" bubble academically. While there are certainly high performing blacks and Hispanics in that "bubble", their test scores are mixed in with their low-performing counterparts and therefore are much higher to isolate.

I don't think Woodrow will ever be a second HPHS in the city because of te albatross that is DISD's school board. But can it become the crown jewel neighborhood high school of the district? Yes, I think it has the potential to do so IF/WHEN it can find a way to break up the "school within a school" environment and really challenge/ raise expectations for the low performing 70-75% of the student body.

As far as the white % of student body (DFWMike's ?), the numbers appear to be stable since 2005-2006 and down a bit from earlier this decade. I don't know what factors caused the shrink from 20% to 15%, but can only give you this antedote from my friends who have kids at Lakewood and Jackson elementaries: they're basically taking the "wait & see" approach for grades 6-12. Some hope to buy time before affording to move back into HPISD (where they grew up). Most are confident Woodrow will be great in 7-9 years when their kids are 9th grade aged. Most are pretty wary about Long and will strongly consider pulling out for 6-8 and then reevaluating Woodrow's situation for 9. There are just sooooooo many families in Lakewood now- and at Lakewood Elem or in the early childhood PTA. I can't imagine Lakewood Elementary's white % having increased by 50% in the past decade won't play a roll in Woodrow's changing demographics in the near-term future.

This is what I've been trying to say...if DISD would get organized, I see no reason why the Lakewood schools couldnt become a poor man's Highland Park as far as schools go...the money is there, the students are there, but the parents will continue to hold off as long as the quality is not perceived to be there...an example, Lewisville ISD has a big mix of wealthy and poor, yet Flower Mound schools are among the best in the entire metroplex. I think Lakewood could definitely assume that role in DISD.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 AM

301 posts, read 571,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
This is what I've been trying to say...if DISD would get organized, I see no reason why the Lakewood schools couldnt become a poor man's Highland Park as far as schools go...the money is there, the students are there, but the parents will continue to hold off as long as the quality is not perceived to be there...an example, Lewisville ISD has a big mix of wealthy and poor, yet Flower Mound schools are among the best in the entire metroplex. I think Lakewood could definitely assume that role in DISD.
That's my thought on the situation as well. Plano does as well. I hope DISD can get its act together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas