Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:39 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times

Advertisements

Our son will take the MCAT in a few months.

Advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 03:05 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Kaplan is a bit better from memory. Good luck doctor.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:06 PM

Awesome thank you.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:30 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Apply to Texas med schools! No better deal or selection elsewhere in the US!

Also, make sure he gets his applications in as soon as the schools start taking them--this burned a few people I know.

I wish I could offer advice via MCAT prep--my husband bought a book, studied from it, and took a free Kaplan prep test. He was happy enough with his 1st score to not try again/take a class.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:48 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
More from the journal of anectdotal evidence. MCAT's are serious business these days. Some kids have been groomed for this from high school. I'd get my extra curriculars in order, dig up whatever volunteer work you did. Shadow any random doctor. Be prepared for the "why do you want to be a doctor?" question.

As for prep. You don't have to study. You don't need a class. You don't even need to try very hard on your personal statement....but since everyone else (traditional and non-traditional students) is and you don't want to wind up in Grenada fighting monkeys for your anatomy books, I'd take Kaplan, crush the online questions and apply to 6-10 schools.

For the record, I didn't study for my MCATs at all and went out the night before. But I was 21 and dumb. Studying and the classes can only help. BTW, I took it on paper.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Apply to Texas med schools! No better deal or selection elsewhere in the US!

Also, make sure he gets his applications in as soon as the schools start taking them--this burned a few people I know.

I wish I could offer advice via MCAT prep--my husband bought a book, studied from it, and took a free Kaplan prep test. He was happy enough with his 1st score to not try again/take a class.
He's all over going to med school here in TX. UTSW would be his first choice.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
More from the journal of anectdotal evidence. MCAT's are serious business these days. Some kids have been groomed for this from high school. I'd get my extra curriculars in order, dig up whatever volunteer work you did. Shadow any random doctor. Be prepared for the "why do you want to be a doctor?" question.

As for prep. You don't have to study. You don't need a class. You don't even need to try very hard on your personal statement....but since everyone else (traditional and non-traditional students) is and you don't want to wind up in Grenada fighting monkeys for your anatomy books, I'd take Kaplan, crush the online questions and apply to 6-10 schools.

For the record, I didn't study for my MCATs at all and went out the night before. But I was 21 and dumb. Studying and the classes can only help. BTW, I took it on paper.
He's got the below on his resume 100% documented and verifiable
~400+ general community service hours (hauling trash, cooking meals for the needy, changing diapers - no kidding etc.)
~250/300 more in hospitals
~Paid "Cardiac Hospital" internship this summer ~160 hours
~He's shadowed various docs since 9th grade the last one just last week

He's got two more summers to make it better.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Hm.

When *I* took the course, Princeton Review was better because they forced you to come to classes and do homework and take 6 full-length practice tests under real conditions. However, more people did Kaplan because it was a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Let me tell you, even the proctor of the test told me that he thought it was strange I was smiling so much...well, by then, that test and that environment were old hat (this was paper).

I needed the structure. With all my other classes and working in the lab, it was just better that way. You know how your kid is...investigate both programs and see which fits him better.

Oh...and if I were y'all, I'd get him published or involved in some research or something asap.

UTSW class of 2002

Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hm.

When *I* took the course, Princeton Review was better because they forced you to come to classes and do homework and take 6 full-length practice tests under real conditions. However, more people did Kaplan because it was a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Let me tell you, even the proctor of the test told me that he thought it was strange I was smiling so much...well, by then, that test and that environment were old hat (this was paper).

I needed the structure. With all my other classes and working in the lab, it was just better that way. You know how your kid is...investigate both programs and see which fits him better.

Oh...and if I were y'all, I'd get him published or involved in some research or something asap.

UTSW class of 2002
Congratulations on '02.

We have a doc friend very wired into UTSW and she said research is serving they really want to see on an app. Kid is looking into that.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Quote:
Have him check out summer research programs. DH did one at UT Houston before his senior year and one at UTSW before MS-1. He continued with his MS-1 research this year. All got/will get him good pubs. UTSW and UT Houston aren't the only schools that offer these...as an added bonus, many pay as much as a summer job.

There's also undergrad research--at OU it was through the Honors College. I spent a couple nights with DH at the lab doing his mice stuff It's not always the most glamorous or interesting work, but he did know his way around a lab well by the end and I think that helped him with the research programs offered by the med schools.

As long as he keeps a good GPA, sounds like he's on the right track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: