Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times

Advertisements

USA_Mom -

Yes, work/live/play is definitely becoming much more popular. This could be the start of that trend, in which later, those locations grow and get connected by public transportation. They are being built as TOD (transit oriented destinations) along the DART rail. The development in Allen/Fairview at Stacey/Central is a good example of this. There are many more examples: Southlake Town Center, the new development announced at 380 & Dallas North Tollway and others.

In general, I feel the start of this TOD concept and the mixed-use developments are a huge boon to the future direction of DFW as a whole. The region is shifting to a more pedestrian friendly environment. Work/live/play environments can offer a much higher quality of life by getting commute times to practically nothing. If we don't spend an hour in traffic in each direction, that's 2 hours a day - or 10 hours per week we have to do other activities. What I would do for 10 more hours per week!!!!

Anyhow, we are way off subject again. Suffice it to say that as you can readily tell I feel mixed use and public transit (especially if combined) are trends that are going to strengthen and increasingly draw more development dollars, as a percentage of overall development. As more and more people see the value of such developments, proximity to them will drive appreciation.

For what it's worth, I think your argument about having 3 kids and being married, therefore you need a large single family home with a yard is probably a more common thought process today than it will be in the future. People in areas like London and Paris raise families in high density environments, and in MUCH less square footage than us Texans are used to. It's a long-term mind set that will slowly change due to economic and ecological reasons. I believe this is the path we're walking down and will place my home directly in that inevitable path... if for nothing else, to make a tidy profit.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 12:06 PM

670 posts, read 2,999,463 times
LOL DH laughs at me and my square footage, he grew up in relatively big country houses and we were always cramped in something around 1000 square feet (although at the time it felt big)..now I LOVE the space.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:15 PM

47 posts, read 211,346 times
I agree with twojciac regarding technology and telecommuting. There are many companies here in the metroplex who have offered these opportunities to employees. I am a nurse working for one of the health insurers in the area, and I can tell you that there are at least 3 additional national insurers here who have sent scores of nurses home to work.....and plans are to continue to do so as quickly as possible.

I think it will just depend on your lifestyle preference. There are those who prefer living in an urban area with all that it offers, and conversely, there are those who want a little breathing room and space between themselves and neighbors. To each his own. With housing prices so affordable here, I imagine appreciation is inevitable, especially in areas like Southlake (where I live) and other desirable burbs. And by the way, I live on over an acre and a half and have horses......in Southlake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas