Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 AM

527 posts, read 2,169,415 times

Advertisements

I and my wife are planning to visit the State Fair of Texas coming weekend on 15th October. I have some queries related to this since this is my first time.

1. Which is the best way to commute there? I stay in Plano. I was thinking of taking my car till Parker Road station and taking a red line to Pearl station and then interchange to green line to Fair park station. Am i right ?

2. In case i go with above approach, then which station should i alight at ? Fair Park or MLK Jr ?

3. I have never traveled in DART train (or bus) so i am not sure about the ticketing structure, so what sort of ticket should i take, something like full day pass or point to point tickets ? Prices will be appreciated.

4. The fair timings are like 10am to 10pm on weekends i think so does it make sense to reach right at 10am and stay till the night 10pm ??

5. What all things are something not to miss there ? Since this is only one day i will be visiting, i want to make sure i see as much as possible.

6. Is everything included in the ticket costs ? I am getting the ticket for 12.50 $ per person through my company. Is this the cheapest possible ?

Any more details that you may like to add will be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
1. Sounds right to me.

2. Fair Park - it will drop you off right at the main gate near the Women's Museum and the Esplanade where the light show takes place in the evening.

3. You can find the Dart fares here: DART.org - Fare and Pass Information . A day pass would be the best bet because you won't have to mess with the ticketing machine when you leave from the Fair Park station.

4. You can stay all day if you'd like. There is a lot to see. Look at the schedule on your desired day here: State Fair Of Texas

5. The Bird show is good. Check out the Creative Arts Bldg for local craft-making - food and fabric, plus antiques. Hall of State has an exhibit on Texas history. Concert schedule here: State Fair Of Texas

6. Look here. I detailed the reduced admission prices. State Fair of Texas 2011 - Dallas Forum - TripAdvisor

Old 10-09-2011, 11:34 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
The admission cost is just the tip of the iceberg as far as spending money at the Fair. You can drop $100/hour there. Food, games and rides are not included in the admission price.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:03 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
I just got back from Fair Park!

Definitely take the train. They are running "special event" trains that will take you from Parker Road directly to the Fair without changing trains. We arrived at MLK Station and it was about 10 minutes' walk, which was not bad. Get the "local" ticket which is $4 and covers a round-trip ride.

The full 12 hours is a bit much. I love to get there at 10, and usually leave about 5 PM (after watching the Marines lower the flag for the day in front of the Hall of State).

I love the Bird Show, too. My favorite thing is the FOOD! There are so many good things to eat!

As others have said, bring $$. Your admission doesn't include food, games or rides.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:42 PM

@Christie

How do i get info about the special trains ? Because i was planning to go there by changing trains at Pearl station.
I plan to reach there by 10 AM when it opens so accordingly suggest which train to take.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 AM

We had planned to take the Red line and then change at Pearl Station, but as we were standing at the station, a Special train came rolling up and it said "State Fair" on it. We hopped on, and to the Fair we went!
Here's the info on the DART website: DART.org - Ride DART to the State Fair of Texas®

Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I have a question.

We are staying at the LaQuinta in Garland on I-635 near S. Garland Ave. The Route 60 bus goes past the hotel and heads to the State Fair Park. It looks like a pretty straight shot. However, not being familiar with the area, is that a good plan? I don't want to be in Dallas' version of the Bronx.

Or should I just drive 4-5 miles to the LBJ-Skillman Blue Line DART Station and take the train into the town. We have a rental car, so it is not a big deal.

Also, do the ticket vending machines accept credit cards or is it a cash only operation?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Also, do the ticket vending machines accept credit cards or is it a cash only operation?

Same Query from me

Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 AM

The DART ticket machines accept cash, but a credit card is MUCH easier.

The Fair has added coupon kiosks that use credit cards, so it's no longer necessary to bring a big wad of cash to pay for food/rides/etc. That's a good addition in my book!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:03 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have a question.

We are staying at the LaQuinta in Garland on I-635 near S. Garland Ave. The Route 60 bus goes past the hotel and heads to the State Fair Park. It looks like a pretty straight shot. However, not being familiar with the area, is that a good plan? I don't want to be in Dallas' version of the Bronx.

Or should I just drive 4-5 miles to the LBJ-Skillman Blue Line DART Station and take the train into the town. We have a rental car, so it is not a big deal.

I think it would be better and faster to drive to the Dart Rail Station and take the train. The bus will most likely make a lot of stops along the way - not very time efficient.

The Dart tickets machines do take credit and cash. Here's a step by step. DART.org - DART Rail System
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas