Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 PM

112 posts, read 363,402 times

Advertisements

I know that the State Fair of Texas is on and unlike the other thread I am really curious about it. I would like to know about your personal favourite things about it. What are your traditions (like since you were a kid etc) Favourite fair food? Favourite ride? Showbags (if you have them). What sets the state fair of texas apart from the other states fair around the country? Here in Australia we call them Royal Show (e.g Royal Easter Show in Sydney, Royal Melbourne Show etc). (Royal cause we cant (or wont) cut the threads to the Queens apron lol). We plan in 2 years to visit the USA on a holiday and visit Dallas and check it out before we make the decision about moving) would love to visit when the fair is on as it would be a great way to esperience Texas.. Thanks for your responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 AM

504 posts, read 800,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coming2america View Post
I know that the State Fair of Texas is on and unlike the other thread I am really curious about it. I would like to know about your personal favourite things about it. What are your traditions (like since you were a kid etc) Favourite fair food? Favourite ride? Showbags (if you have them). What sets the state fair of texas apart from the other states fair around the country? Here in Australia we call them Royal Show (e.g Royal Easter Show in Sydney, Royal Melbourne Show etc). (Royal cause we cant (or wont) cut the threads to the Queens apron lol). We plan in 2 years to visit the USA on a holiday and visit Dallas and check it out before we make the decision about moving) would love to visit when the fair is on as it would be a great way to esperience Texas.. Thanks for your responses
We spell it "favorite" not "favourite", lol.... just messing with you.

The State fair of TX is a lot of fun. Its our second summer in TX and we had a blast last year and this year. If you do some research on this forum you will find tons on information on it including its history. We loved the food (arguably the best part) almost everything is deep fried, the rides, the shows, the music and the midway games. Parking was the only negative for us. The official parking was full and we ended up parking in someone's backyard and as people here know its not a good neighboorhood. Plus it could be really pricey. For a family of four, between parking, food, rides etc your easily looking at $200-$300.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 AM

527 posts, read 2,169,015 times
^^Lol...but you cannot blame him. I am from the Indian Sub continent and we too spell color as colour and other such things.

On topic: @coming2america. Me too will be having first stint with the state fair and this coming Saturday me and my wife are planning to go. Need to buy tickets from my office today, they have discounted tickets
Enjoy your stay. Have fun.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 AM

812 posts, read 2,183,256 times
They have trained dog shows, and we love the pig races. Strolling Fair Park. Food. People watching. The auto pavilions. More food. Rides. Midway. It's great!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:00 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,005 times
A few musts:

Ride the Texas Star. It's probably $7/person, but if you ride one ride, this should be it. Texas Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eat a Fletcher's Corny Dog. It's the classic. Corn dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Be sure to view the schedule on the day you want to visit to plan your day; there is a lot going on (shows, concerts, demos). Look at bigtex.com.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM

64 posts, read 204,125 times
We attended the fair this year on a weekday and had a wonderful time. The children enjoyed the Fletcher's Corny Dogs and funnel cakes, we wandered in for the darling pig races, the petting zoo was huge, clean and fun... Great time. We even took the children to the aquarium right there and they adored petting the sting rays. We played a few games, rode the ferris wheel (wow- choose that) and returned home happily exhausted. I think we were there opening day so it was super clean and not as crowded as other days we'd attended other years. Have fun!

Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,743,369 times
Butter statue. Always on our list. :-) Also check out all the contest winners in that hall. Tons of Texas history, and usually a display with old Fair memorabilia.

Food and Fiber pavilion. Features products grown in Texas. Right next door is the Wine Garden - featuring Texas Wines. We have about 180 vineyards and wineries now.

Hall of State. Great Texas history.

Food - everyone will have their thoughts on that.

Car show - it's one of the larger ones in the US. And there's a big outdoor truck section.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
To maximize your experience, try to schedule attending on the middle Saturday. That day is a traditional football game (american football) between University of Texas and University of Oklahoma. Sometimes a major event in college football. In a couple of years it may be THE BIG event, https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._River_Rivalry You won't be able to get a ticket to the ball game but it takes place on the fair grounds. The energy will be outstanding.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,743,369 times
Actually, I would not recommend that. I've been every year since I moved down here and have been every combination of days. This year we were there during the game and it was not as fun. The lines for food, bathrooms, etc were longer than usual and larger than usual groups congregating in the walkways. I knew I'd be back again next year, and I've been before so I was able to forgo the corny dog. But if I was from out of town and had one chance to go, I would be very frustrated wasting my day in lines rather than getting to experience everything I hoped to.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
To maximize your experience, try to schedule attending on the middle Saturday. That day is a traditional football game (american football) between University of Texas and University of Oklahoma. Sometimes a major event in college football. In a couple of years it may be THE BIG event, https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._River_Rivalry You won't be able to get a ticket to the ball game but it takes place on the fair grounds. The energy will be outstanding.
Everyone I know told me that is the day to AVOID at all cost. Very crowded due to the legions of fans from both teams. I was also told to avoid the Sunday after the game because the place will still be trashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas