Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
How do you feel about this?

We wouldn't normally do it but there are so few kids in our apartment complex that after we try to do it here we will probably end up at the subdivision across the street. I'll stay home and give out candy if I do see any kids walking around in the complex dressed up. Heck, if I see any I will probably run down to the first floor (we're on the 3rd) with my bowl of candy in case they don't make it up here.

This is not a situation of van loads of kids driving to Highland Park because they think rich people give better candy.

Is going to a different neighborhood always tacky?
I don't think it's tacky. As a kid when I used to do this, I thought I was just being a 'smart opportunist.' I would come home with half a pillowcase full and be set with candy for a month. :-)

And the kids who come to my door now... I don't recognize a lot of them, so they could be coming from another town for all I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:50 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
How do you feel about this?

We wouldn't normally do it but there are so few kids in our apartment complex that after we try to do it here we will probably end up at the subdivision across the street. I'll stay home and give out candy if I do see any kids walking around in the complex dressed up. Heck, if I see any I will probably run down to the first floor (we're on the 3rd) with my bowl of candy in case they don't make it up here.

This is not a situation of van loads of kids driving to Highland Park because they think rich people give better candy.

Is going to a different neighborhood always tacky?
There's a bit of protectionism in trick or treating.

My family went to HP last year (when we still lived Uptown) just to get the Park Cities vibe. People were nice. There were alot of latino kids out as well. Parents were nice, they complimented our daughter on her Dora the Explorer costume and we moved on. But you could see cars and vans filled with kids dropping off kids at the end of the block.

Fast Forward one year- We're still trick or treating, now in UP and everyone was real nice, one lady even said, 'see you next year'. Actually it was my across the street neighbor.

At the end of the night my daughter handed out candy to kids who weren't from the neighborhood. The kids were in costumes and polite. A few of the kids did a double take when they saw me and my daughter, but they were nice.

It's a kids holiday, nothing political, just a night to have fun. I don't think non-neighborhood kids will leave the Park Cities kids candy-poor anytime soon.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 PM

217 posts, read 382,028 times
I don't deny any child coming to my door for candy.... We gave out two candy bars to most kids tonight. We went through 9 bags of candy.... endless stream of them. Some parents were driving their golf cart out in the street with the kids. I think they were having as good of a time as the kids.

There is a neighborhood not too far from me where I think some under priveleged families live.... I was happy to give them candy. Everybody wore a costume, but we did have a few teenagers, which I thought was strange, but gave them candy too anyway.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 AM

307 posts, read 477,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
There's a bit of protectionism in trick or treating.

My family went to HP last year (when we still lived Uptown) just to get the Park Cities vibe. People were nice. There were alot of latino kids out as well. Parents were nice, they complimented our daughter on her Dora the Explorer costume and we moved on. But you could see cars and vans filled with kids dropping off kids at the end of the block.

Fast Forward one year- We're still trick or treating, now in UP and everyone was real nice, one lady even said, 'see you next year'. Actually it was my across the street neighbor.

At the end of the night my daughter handed out candy to kids who weren't from the neighborhood. The kids were in costumes and polite. A few of the kids did a double take when they saw me and my daughter, but they were nice.

It's a kids holiday, nothing political, just a night to have fun. I don't think non-neighborhood kids will leave the Park Cities kids candy-poor anytime soon.
No it's not like the park cities kids are doing without but it would be nice to go trick or treating down our own street and see at least a few kids from our neighborhood. I honestly think I only saw a few families that were from here, while I saw about 200 vanloads of spanish-speakers going around.

I will say that everyone was very courteous and wasn't causing any disturbances or doing anything out of the ordinary; they were just trick or treating, as everyone was. So no beef on that front, they were very pleasant and their kids were dressed up and doing it right. They just weren't from here.

All in all though we had a great time out trick or treating and after my kids went to bed we gave out more than half of their candy to trick or treaters coming to our house.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Just for fun:

Tonight, for Halloween, as the trick-or-treaters wander the neighborhood, hesitantly making their way up my porch, I will stand guard over two bowls of candy.
The first is for the princesses, the Snow Whites, the cowboys, the vampires, the Buzz Lightyears and the mini-monsters who are scavenging for candy.
And the other?
Well. If you must know, I save the contents of the second bowl for the exact right time. The concoctions inside are for the creatures who live closest to my haunted manse.
That bowl, you see, is reserved for the neighbor children.

Not just any trick-or-treater can get into this candy stash | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
We live in Hurst, newer neighborhood bordered by older one with some rental homes in there...
we had kids from 640 to about 830
neighborhood kids and truck-ins from pre-school to well into junior high, but only 1 or 3 that were high school...but we did have the moms with gimme-bags
polite but still kind of missing the point

There was real mix--some of the rudest kids were ones from my neighborhood -- don't really know them but they seemed local based on how they acted with my next door neighbor who does have two children...

the prettiest one was the little girl next door--she was first trick-or-treater...was gorgeous as a princess

my neighbor across the court left out bowl of candy because she and her husband wanted to walk with their kids around the neighborhood--
from what two of the kids who came by said I know that they jacked about half of what was in the bowl for themselves...vs just taking one or two pieces...

don't get the "let them self-police" bit---
some kids will but some kids won't--just encourages them to do it again when there is no repremand for bad behavior...

nothing political--no Kim Kardashian I was glad to see and not really any Jersey Girls...

Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
PS
I know there are so many scary movies built around a Halloween theme--but to see good representation of what Halloween was in the past check out the Judy Garland flick "Meet me in St Louis"--
one scene is at Halloween and shows a lovely Margaret OBrien dressed up as a little tramp (if I remember correctly) and you can see how she and her friends act on Halloween...
just as much "tricking" as treating as I recall...
http://nealamy.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html

http://missvintagegirl.blogspot.com/...en-movies.html

another one is the fly-away scene in "ET" when Elliot and his friends are trick or treating with ET...
http://movieclips.com/x4vA-et-the-ex...vie-halloween/

Last edited by loves2read; 11-01-2011 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 10:20 AM

198 posts, read 502,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
I've been told we should expect hoards of kids from outside of the neighborhood, and that's fine by me. I grew up in neighborhoods that were lousy for trick or treating so I don't begrudge anyone wanting their kids to have a better experience than they can get in their own neighborhood.

I don't like kids coming by without costumes, though. Or really old kids--like well into high school.

I am glad its fine by you I kept hearing how much CH hates non neighborhood kids...

Old 11-01-2011, 12:06 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
I've heard that too, and find that baffling. It's just candy, people.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Sometimes candy isn't just candy...

But Halloween is for kids- As long as the kid's not shaving on a daily basis and says 'trick or treat', they deserve candy.

All this 'they're not from the neighborhood' is a bit poof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas