Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
But please understand the costs. You need to sign everyone up for ski school, which will run you $120/day/person (you absolutely cannot learn to ski by falling down the mountain, and that is not safe for you or other skiiers.) Rentals will be at least $25/day/person.

I am NOT a skiier. I tried. PLEASE listen to what Deb says here. You MUST take at least a ski school group lesson to learn how to ski. Just going out and trying to do it on your own is DANGEROUS. You can easily break a leg, tear up a knee, etc. even if you know what you are doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM

180 posts, read 479,658 times
Look at Red River, NM and some of the budget hotels. Red River, New Mexico Family Vacations: Ski Hike Bike Fish Snowboard Cross Country Ski Drive is about 9-10 hours from DFW (with limited stops). I drive a midsize sedan and it cost me about $200 total in gas to drive there. Not a "world class" ski resort but if you are all beginners this might be better suited for your family anyways. It's a quaint little town nestled in the mountains and Enchanted Forest of Northern NM. I'm not quite sure if you are going to be able keep costs down to $200 a day, but what I would do is start researching ski lesson classes, other activities that you and your family would like to try (cross country skiing, snowshoing, snowmobile rides, ect). Downhill skiing will be the most expensive with lessons and gear rentals but snowshoing is relatively cheap. Mix things up to keep costs down? You can find ski clothes at Academy for pretty cheap ($40-$50 for adult ski pants, thermals for $6.99-$19.99, ect). Good luck, hope it works out.

Last edited by flpyrner; 11-15-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 AM

51 posts, read 217,884 times
Thanks for all the good advices. As you can tell, I know nothing about skiing and its cost. My husband is a good skier, so he doesn't need a lesson. However, he can't recommend any ski place because we've just moved here a year ago from the northeast. Well, I am going to do more research on those locations that all of you recommended. Thanks a million!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Wolf Creek near Colorado Springs is a great place for kids and beginers.
It's small and has a good ski school. It's EXACTLY 12 hours to Colorado Springs from North Tarrant county.

Poweder Horn is another family run small resort that is a GREAT place for beginers to learn. It's very family friendly and alot cheaper than the bigger places. It's 18hours from here though.

YES enroll your kids in ski school, although both my husband and I are seasoned skiiers, teacheing a beginier is hard esp kids. The ski school (we did 1/2 day mornings, then you ski with them in the PM) WILL have your kids skiing after 1 lesson, you will be surprised how profiecient they get after just 3 1/2 lessons.

NO way A family of 4 can ski and stay for $200.00/day. In the smaller resorts that will cover lift tickets alone. Ski school will run you more.
Many of the smaller resorts (SunLight in CO) will run specails in spring for kids ski free with Adult purchase (49.00 lift tickets I believe)
The larger resorts will run from $89-100 per day for Adult lift tickets.

5 hours from here will get to Amarillo, Tulsa OK, or Houston. sorry no skiing that close!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:13 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
Santa Fe/Taos would be the closest? I wonder if there's a tour/bus type situation you can find ... flat fee for hotel/ski for x number of nights? You could ask a travel agent perhaps.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
NO way A family of 4 can ski and stay for $200.00/day. In the smaller resorts that will cover lift tickets alone. Ski school will run you more.
Why not?

When I first learned how to snow ski, it was without a ski lift.

My dad and I just walked up the little hill. It actually cost us a grand total of zero per day because the hill was in the neighborhood. Can't you find a small B&B or a motel for $200/day in snowy area with hills ?

I recall it being a lot of fun having my dad teach me how to ski. Great family time. I find it odd that there's unanimous agreement here that it's better to pay a ski school. Do people not like spending time with their kids and teaching them a new skill ?? The OP's husband is a good skier so this family should be able to have a good time learning how to ski without paying a school, especially if the budget is "tight" (I still consider $200/day quite a bit of money...)

Old 11-16-2011, 02:59 PM

94 posts, read 304,986 times
I too am from the North East and have skied in NY, PA, VT and NH.... can't recall ever getting through a day of skiing, lodging and food for $200 or less PER Person.... and that was before kids were in the picture... and with no transportation costs - a 4-6 hr drive into the mountains from NYC and does not include any apres-ski activities

My experience for a CO ski trip for four (parents and 2 little ones under 7), on a 4 day/3 night mini holiday, to a 4 star level resort, ski school classes, lift passes, lodging, airfare, parking, pet sitters, etc, I always plan on $4-5K, all-in.... Golf, Tennis, Equestrian and Skiing - all very pricey hobbies

Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
We ski "cheap" family of 5. We stay at my folks in CO so we don't have to pay for lodging. We ski in spring when offers are avail, Dec is high season. We find coupons from the shell stations (buy one adult get one free) Ski on Ladies day and mens day free adult ticket.(Powderhorn)
If not staying at my Dad's we use the Sunlight stay and ski package...A FANTASTIC deal during spring break. You get lodging, 2 free Adult lift tickets, discounted kids tickets, 4 pool passes for Glenwood HotSpring pool and breakfast. (also if you stay on property but dont use the package kids under 12 get a free lift ticket with paying adult)
Colorado Vacations:Things to Do-Colorado Trips-Glenwood Springs Colorado | Discover Glenwood Springs, Colorado, and Soak It All In
Cheapest they have is $99 for a family of 4 (but it is not the greatest begininger place) BUT you still have rentals $ for family of 4 (3 sets if Dad has his own)$20-30 plus $10 for kids helmets, and food on the mountian $$

Quote:
When I first learned how to snow ski, it was without a ski lift.
Yes but tell me where you can do that here? you have cost of gas to drive (or flight) just to get somewhere with a HILL and snow! Then you have lodging, food, etc...

Yes, Dad can teach the kids and the WIFE... but really trying to teach 2 kids and an Adult by yourself...will not end up in a Happy for everyone situation. tears and frustration will happen.

OP was asking about a ski vacation, to 90% of folks that means a ski resort with lifts and runs, not a hill out back of the motel.

Also ski schools for the youngsters, include rentals, lift ticket and lunch.

Cheapest Adult one day lift tickets I know of are $49.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas