Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 PM

409 posts, read 872,956 times

Advertisements

I recently relocated to Dallas and live in Plano. I really like the area and the houses but I'm kinda turned off by the small plot sizes. I looked at Frisco but they are even worse. I don't want to don't want to move north of Frisco, or west or east of Plano because of the impact to my commute, so that leaves south...

Preston Hollow seems exactly what I'm looking for. Nice, but old, single story houses that are upgraded on large lots. Pricey though. Not alot of houses that are at least 2000 sqft meets my limit of $375K. I'm hoping more houses will hit the market early next year. I read some of the posts here on Preston and every agrees its a nice, quite, safe neighborhood.

Does anyone know if that area has a HOA? Or any other negatives or any streets I should stay away from? I don't care about schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Check west of the Tollroad for your price range- zips 75229 and 75220. The neighborhoods between Midway and Marsh will have homes in your price range with bigger lots and easy access to Tollroad. Most neighborhoods will have a voluntary HOA where you chip in $200 or a bit more per year for extra security (off duty police officer patrol) or neighborhood events. Sparkman Club Estates is the only neighborhood I can think of with mandatory HOA since they have a neighborhood clubhouse/pool/tennis courts to upkeep. None of the HOA's in the area have Collin County type rules about which plants you can plant, what color to paint your home, what materials are approved for fences, etc.

Some neighborhood names are Disney Streets, Midway Hollow, Hockaday Estates (east of Midway but possibly in your price range if you luck out), Sparkman Club Estates, etc

You definitely won't be able to buy in real Preston Hollow or the area between 75 & Tollroad. Median prices are around $600k there.

But- it's a great area! Come on down!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Check west of the Tollroad for your price range- zips 75229 and 75220. The neighborhoods between Midway and Marsh will have homes in your price range with bigger lots and easy access to Tollroad. Most neighborhoods will have a voluntary HOA where you chip in $200 or a bit more per year for extra security (off duty police officer patrol) or neighborhood events. Sparkman Club Estates is the only neighborhood I can think of with mandatory HOA since they have a neighborhood clubhouse/pool/tennis courts to upkeep. None of the HOA's in the area have Collin County type rules about which plants you can plant, what color to paint your home, what materials are approved for fences, etc.

Some neighborhood names are Disney Streets, Midway Hollow, Hockaday Estates (east of Midway but possibly in your price range if you luck out), Sparkman Club Estates, etc

You definitely won't be able to buy in real Preston Hollow or the area between 75 & Tollroad. Median prices are around $600k there.

But- it's a great area! Come on down!
Beat me to it. All great advice. And 2,000 sq ft + in PH proper for under $400k is a pipe dream unless you want a scraper or serious fixer-upper.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM

I saw a lot of houses online located near Midway and Forest in the $400 - $365k range. And the neighborhood is listed as Preston Hollow. Houses not located in the old PH area are not really PH?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
I saw a lot of houses online located near Midway and Forest in the $400 - $365k range. And the neighborhood is listed as Preston Hollow. Houses not located in the old PH area are not really PH?
The farthest one could possibly stretch the PH neighborhood is from Midway east to Hillcrest, and from Walnut Hill down to Northwest Highway.

Everything else is in the MLS zone "North Dallas/South of LBJ". But "PH" sounds sexier (and more $$$) which is why realtors try to fool people into thinking they're buying into PH, when in reality....they aren't.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
Remember that in many upper middle class neighborhoods in Dallas HOA'S are not needed.People take pride and keep up with their lawns in Preston Hollow,Lakewood,other higher end ($300,00 plus ) Dallas neighborhoods ect...

Now if we are talking about a neighborhood of $150,000 homes in Frisco...if there was no HOA I guarantee there would be some upkeep issues...

Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
If it doesn't look like Preston Hollow, ignore what the realtor says. That's what potential buyers will do come resale time for your house.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 AM

269 posts, read 863,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
If it doesn't look like Preston Hollow, ignore what the realtor says. That's what potential buyers will do come resale time for your house.

But there's the rub -- the area the OP describes does look like new Preston Hollow -- which was just a basic 1960s ranch style upper middle class neighborhood before the McMansion teardowns gained a foothold in the area. Nothing looks like "old" Preston Hollow -- and the poster isn't looking for a multi-million dollar house.

If you're looking for a basic 1960s ranch on an expansive lot, the area the OP describes is a great location with the budget the poster has. The only thing that the Preston Hollow moniker buys you for the old ranches is an inflated price for the same basic house.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:55 AM

SMS- I don't think Grey (or anyone else) is telling the poster not to look in 75229/75220; just cautioning to not overpay for being in a neighborhood it isn't. That doesn't mean OP won't find himself in a bidding war for a mid-century modern in the Disney Streets (midway & royal)!! Still desirable neighborhoods, just not quite the PH $/sf!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS_Parent View Post
But there's the rub -- the area the OP describes does look like new Preston Hollow -- which was just a basic 1960s ranch style upper middle class neighborhood before the McMansion teardowns gained a foothold in the area. Nothing looks like "old" Preston Hollow -- and the poster isn't looking for a multi-million dollar house.

If you're looking for a basic 1960s ranch on an expansive lot, the area the OP describes is a great location with the budget the poster has. The only thing that the Preston Hollow moniker buys you for the old ranches is an inflated price for the same basic house.
Here's the weird thing. I was looking in trulia and all of the houses in the area I'm interested in and around my price range has Preston Hollow as the neighborhood. But looking at the same house in Realtor, the neighborhood lines up with what Turtle is saying. Here's an example, what do you think of this house/neighborhood:

4207 Melissa Lane, Dallas TX | MLS# 11539560 - Trulia

4207 Melissa Ln Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11539560 - Realtor.com®

Bottom line is I don't care what the neighborhood is called, as long as its in a solid, clean, safe area that will hopefully keep its value.

Last edited by lemonegg; 11-17-2011 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas