Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times

Advertisements

First I'd like to apologize because I looked and didn't see what I was looking for...so if this is a repeat question, please properly direct me.

We are wanting to check out the Trade Days (Canton, Texas). We will be making the long haul from Oklahoma (north of OKC) looks to be about 5ish hours. The hotel and housing options seem sort of limited or very basic in Canton. We are not B&B people, but would like a nice hotel and an area with nice dinner options. Is there an area close to Canton I should look into? Or is there a place I may be over looking in Canton? Did I read correctly they are dry therefore, there is no alcohol options in the Canton restaurants?

Thank you for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
google 'Gun Barrel City, http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g5...as-Hotels.html

Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times
Thank you! Nice! But, it's in the opposite direction sort of...I guess we'd face the same drive time either way on the way home. I think our best bet is not to stay in Canton. I was also looking at Terrell as an option or Mesquite.

Tofurkey...if you don't mind me asking are you a vegan or vegetarian? I'm a pescatarian and my partner is vegetarian...so if you are familiar with some good eats in this area, please share! Alcohol being served is a huge plus.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Amazonchix, cool. I hope that works out for you. No, no vegen here and have a fairly thick slice of beef in the fridge waiting for later on. I picked up the name from a comedy routine, decided it was different enough to use.

I had only heard of GBC through 'gay' friends. Seems like there's a gay outdoorsy lodging place out there somewhere. Saw your post and remembered the place was somewhere in that direction.

Have a good time... report back so we'll know next time.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
You'll probably have to book ahead to find a motel room in Canton on First Monday weekends. Go either direction on I-20 about 20 minutes to either Terrell or Tyler for a better selection. It will be hot unless you wait until October now, so be prepared to do your walking before noon if you can. The pavilions are not too bad in the afternoons though. The best treat on the grounds during hot weather (any month for me) is Taylor's homemade ice cream. Look them up and you won't be disappointed.

"Nice dinner options"? Stick to Tyler. Lots of good food to be found in Canton, but they are lacking in fine dining establishments. Decent Mexican food at least 3 locations though (Senorita's, Ojeda's, and ....forgot the name of the other one).

Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Terrell and Forney will be your best options outside of Canton. If you stay in Terrell, Fat Cat's has great Cajun food! Terrell is wet, too.

Remember that Canton is a lot of walking and HOT in summer, so wear comfortable shoes and sunscreen, and stay hydrated!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Terrell and Forney will be your best options outside of Canton. If you stay in Terrell, Fat Cat's has great Cajun food! Terrell is wet, too.

Remember that Canton is a lot of walking and HOT in summer, so wear comfortable shoes and sunscreen, and stay hydrated!
I agree with Fat Katz. Best gumbo I've ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas