Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,392 times

Advertisements

My GF and I are going to try and go to Canton this Saturday for the First Monday Trade Days. This will be our first time and we have no idea what we are in for.

We do realize it's going to be HOT. We were told that if the heat doesn't bother us, to go in the summer, b/c it's less crowded than in cooler months. Hope this rationale holds true even if just a little bit.

We aren't going there with anything specific we need to buy and we don't feel the need to check out every single vendor or booth either. We're pretty much the wander around and if we see something we like, we'll buy it.

We know to bring plenty of cash and probably sunscreen.

Being that this is our first time going, I was wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, etc to help make it not too terrible an experience.

What time should we leave Richardson? Is it necessary to get there very early or can we show up whenever and still be ok just wandering around the area.

Where should we park? I read North of the grounds is best. Will we be coming in from the North? We'll be GPS'ing it from Richardson, so I don't know what way it's going to tell us to go.

I am a little worried about the crowds. I read that upwards of 600,000 people could be there. Is this an exaggeration? If not, are people just all up on everyone out there? That seems like a lot of people, even if the grounds are enormous.

Anything else we need to know? I'm almost rethinking this whole trip, but the GF wants to go and I don't want to disappoint. I'm just picturing a crowded nightmare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 02:45 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
Get there as early as possible to beat the heat, and to get a close parking space. I would leave Richardson at 6 AM which will put you in Canton about 7:30. This will give you time to park and walk across the street. Grounds open at 8 AM. You will likely be worn out by noon, if not sooner.

Take I20 to highway 19 and turn right. Park across from the main grounds area where you can see the pavilions. On your way out, stop at the Dairy Palace for a burger and Blue Bell ice cream!

Yes, sunscreen, a sun hat, hiking boots/very comfortable shoes are all in order. Cash is good if you want to patronize the smaller dealers. Almost all of the ones in the big pavilions take credit cards.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 PM

170 posts, read 369,905 times
My favorite place in the world! Have Fun!

Wear REALLY comfy walking shoes. That is the biggest piece of advice. You can buy a rolling shopping cart thing there or bring it if you have one, you will need it... The place is HUGE, you are going to be amazed at the size.

My favorite place to park, go past the left turn that everyone else is making where it says to go for parking. Just past there on the left, by a fenced in field of old cars and trailers, campers, etc. is another smaller parking lot on the left, right by the convention center. Use the bathrooms in there while you can, and prepare yourself for the day. Its a real trek to find bathrooms if you dont know where they are.

You MUST have the fried pies. Last time I brought them home for the family. They are to die for. Good luck finding them though. I couldnt begin to tell you where they are cause I always am half lost before I find them again.

Parking is $5 so have your cash when you leave the house.

Crowds, yes, an enormous amount of people, but not the tripping over each other and walking shoulder to shoulder kind. Also, many people rent the electric scooters, I think its $35 for the day. GREAT idea to do. Would help with the heat too.

Good luck and have fun. And thanks for the reminder!

BTW, dont even TRY to make any phone calls while there. Service is very poor and overloaded from all the people. I usually dont even get a ring when trying.

Last edited by mrsclark; 06-24-2013 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts

Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,465,970 times
This place has really died down though over the past few years. Less and less vendors and a bunch of breeders. We still find a few hidden gems for house decoration every time we go, but its sad to see not even 1/2 of the area being utilized.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM

34 posts, read 69,383 times
It's not a big deal any more and you shouldn't worry too much about getting there - just go and enjoy it. Do get there early on Saturday if you can.

You might consider Round Top Texas for a twice a year collectables festival. Bands, great food, great vendors, lots of great stuff.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
For a smaller version, there is 3rd Monday Trade Days on Hwy 380 just west of McKinney. Same set-up of $5 parking, scooters to rent, food venders, and a good mix of old stuff and orig craftsman newly made furniture, clothing, etc. I know a vendor there and she is out until Sept or Oct.

The name is confusing to me as it is held the Fri-Sat-Sun before the 3rd Mon of each month!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-25-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 PM

257 posts, read 550,504 times
We went on a Sunday in July last year, and it was every bit as hot as you'd expect. So miserably hot that some of the vendors were packing up and leaving early because whatever meager sales they might have made on that Sunday afternoon were not worth the threat of heat stroke. It was not crowded at all, which probably explained the vendors' hopelessness.

My advice is to go as early as possible, drink plenty of water and wear comfortable shoes that you can walk a very long way in. And plan to go back in October or November when there's more to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas