Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 03:37 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times

Advertisements

Frisco is a very clean,safe city with great schools...the largest exemplary district in Texas

There really is no "bad" area of Frisco. I would. ot describe the entire city as high end ,more upper middle class.There are high end subdivisions like Starwood and Chapel Hill

Check out school rating and go on Family watch dog to search for offenders...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM

I live in Prosper and have everything I could ever need within a 5-10 minute drive.I love Prosper's small town feel and go to the Cotton gin cafe often.Prosper has a village feel with with large lots ,rolling hills,trees and new construction.The tiny downtown area is quaint and the cotton gin makes for a great picture.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:10 PM

67 posts, read 107,152 times
All these cities offer newer housing, safe neighborhoods, good schools, access to shopping and hospitals for less money compared to more sort after cities of DFW.They do not offer short commute to other parts of DFW or academically competitive high schools so it depends on what your priorities are. I suggest going for more central locations with top tier schools so you are safe even if you change jobs. Most popular picks for DFW include Highland Park, University Park, Coppell, West Plano,Southlake, part of Dallas with PISD.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,877 times
And yet you will have plenty of people totally happy living in Allen, Frisco , McKinney , Lovejoy , Prosper , Plano, etc...Collin County has a lot to offer especially for families , go visit for yourself , take the feeling of the different cities , not all suburbs are the same and no , it doesn't feel generic . In the last 5 years alone many areas have changed . And frankly from any of those cities , a ride to downtown is quite easy , especially on weekends , we go there often and enjoy what Dallas has to offer without living there.
Regarding school systems , you need to research yourself , but again contrary to some opinions even parents who care about their children are actually quite happy about their schools .

Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM

67 posts, read 107,152 times
People can be happy any where but my suggestion was to help OP make an educated decision about the DFW home buying considering commute, schools, resale etc. Obviously no place is perfect and it's all about give and take. It's easy to fall for new home trap in Texas but commute, schools and proximity to amenities are real issues for busy lives and changing job market.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 PM

And commute ,schools ,proximity and amenities are not just available in Dallas and the inner ring suburbs anymore

Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 PM

127 posts, read 318,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnHuntz View Post
Hi, Were you guys able to decide on the area (between frisco/allen/mckinney) and the community ? I heard from other website about crime rate (thefts, vandalism, etc) in frisco is quiet alarming, is it true ?
Thanks for the input Shawn. Crime exists everywhere people do, and as long as it isn't frequent and/or violent, we are okay. If you know of a rising trend I should know about, please feel free to offer an article or site -- I'm curious!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Lakewood will be much better for resale - East Dallas has been appreciating at double-digit rates in the last two quarterly MLS reports. You are not going to find any new homes in your range if that's what you are looking for -- however, new homes on the edge the Metroplex are not good investments as you are always competing with the newest homes a few miles farther out. If you stay for a decade or more that could change - however then you are also rolling the dice that the area you choose will be the one to beat the odds. We have a thread about that: //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...in-values.html

You sort of have to decide if you want new and big with the freeway/tollway lifestyle or smaller and older with the village feeling where you have everything within a few minutes.
Thanks, Lakewooder! Let me show off my ignorance here -- will you tell me the boundaries of Lakewood? Are there specific elementary schools in Lakewood we should shoot for?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Frisco is a very clean,safe city with great schools...the largest exemplary district in Texas

There really is no "bad" area of Frisco. I would. ot describe the entire city as high end ,more upper middle class.There are high end subdivisions like Starwood and Chapel Hill

Check out school rating and go on Family watch dog to search for offenders...
Glad you said that. From my research it seems Frisco ISD has great schools, but people keep posting that there are far better districts. Can anyone provide specifics or help me understand what isn't good about FISD? Scores seem high, so is it course offerings, athletics, etc?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Different people have different ideas of exactly what are the boundaries of Lakewood. Most people agree that the west shore of White Rock Lake is one of them, however. The maps may help:

Lakewood Elementary: http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...kewood2011.pdf

Stonewall Jackson Elementary: http://www.dallasisd.org/cms/lib/TX0...cksonS2011.pdf - also known as M-Streets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas