Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:08 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern1979 View Post
What about Preston Hollow and North Dallas? Are those areas I should be exploring?
They are if you're dead-set on private schools. They're actually the best neighborhoods to live in for private schools as most all are located in PH/ND, including St Rita & St Monica (Catholic PK-8) and Jesuit (boys HS) and Ursuline (girls HS).

There is less community spirit than the Park Cities as there's no common "root" running through the neighborhood- ie, everyone goes to different schools (whereas in HPISD, 80% of kids attend HPISD schools and many of your neighbors will be at the Scot's games on Friday night to support the team even if they don't have school-aged kids), different country clubs (whereas in HPISD, hundreds of kiddos are at the HP & UP pools every day all summer long), etc.

You can certainly make a community for yourself in PH/ND, but it will be more church/school/country club based than neighborhood based. Not sure how that compares to where you are now & what you want. Many are perfectly happy with the additional privacy in PH/ND (bigger lots, more spread out feeling, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:08 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
"What church do you go to?" is a common subject of small talk here. It's very weird if you're not from the Bible Belt. The first time someone asked me I was all *blink blink*. It would never happen in a workplace setting where I'm from (Chicago).
What, did everyone on this forum move to Dallas from Chicago?

-synchronicity, still has the house there, at least for now...

Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern1979 View Post
What about Preston Hollow and North Dallas? Are those areas I should be exploring?
Sure. Most people in your bracket with kids in PH or ND send them to privates.

At this point I'd find a realtor to work with who can show you the lay of the land.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:11 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Southern, for further info, here is an SAT and ACT comparison of Highland Park vs. Woodrow vs. Hillcrest (for if your kids want to do college prep):
For the classes of 2009
*Highland Park: 1203 (out of 1600!) / 26.2
*Hillcrest: 995 / 21.3
*Woodrow: 984 / 20.8

At two of those schools White students tend to do disproportionately better than their classmates of other racial groups:
For the classes of 2009
* HP: 1202 / 26.1
* Hillcrest: 1169 / 25.6
* Woodrow: 1098 / 24.5
While HAR doesn't have info on non-free lunch vs. free lunch (in terms of SAT/ACT scores), the White student body probably best approximates how non-free lunch students tend to do at these schools

Even though HAR.com is a Houston-based site, its school database has info on every Texas school

As others have said, Woodrow and Hillcrest are majority/minority. Especially in the case of Hillcrest, few people in the wealthy communities send their children to that school. For Woodrow, according to Lakewooder there is a debate between Woodrow and private school and some people prefer one, while others prefer the other.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Probably should add W.T. White to that list. All are ranked in the Washington Post list of the top high schools in America: HP 36, WT White 273, Woodrow 602 and Hillcrest 613 of the 22,000 plus public high schools in the nation -- yes I know it's based on AP/IB participation vs. the size of the senior class and does not count the number passing. Woodrow and Hillcrest have much smaller senior classes than White and HP.

You can look up each school's profile -- on that it shows Woodrow's SAT average as 1,009 and ACT 23.5 (all races and everyone is encouraged to take the tests). Since that data was collected the number of AP tests given at WW has risen from the 600 range to over 800 tests (senior class between 250-300) and the college-accepted rate has gone from 64% in 2009 to 88% to 90%. Woodrow will also have students taking IB tests next year.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
For W.T. White:
2009 SAT/ACT scores:
*889 - 18
For White students:
*1062 - 22.9

Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 PM

269 posts, read 863,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There is less community spirit than the Park Cities as there's no common "root" running through the neighborhood
You can certainly make a community for yourself in PH/ND, but it will be more church/school/country club based than neighborhood based.
There is definitely a sense of community among the families that live in the neighborhoods near St. Monica/St. Rita and whose children attend Catholic schools -- but as you point out it is a faith/school based community. There is a lot of academic and social interaction, even among rival elementary schools. I could name almost as many St. Rita parents whom I could call on for help on a project as I could St. Monica parents. Jesuit and Cistercian football games provide the same sort of hub of Friday night social activity that you describe for HP. The alumni of Jesuit/Ursuline/Cistercian have strong, lifelong ties both to their classmates and to their alma maters and often go to great lengths to provide the same educational experience to their own children.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS_Parent View Post
There is definitely a sense of community among the families that live in the neighborhoods near St. Monica/St. Rita and whose children attend Catholic schools -- but as you point out it is a faith/school based community. There is a lot of academic and social interaction, even among rival elementary schools. I could name almost as many St. Rita parents whom I could call on for help on a project as I could St. Monica parents. Jesuit and Cistercian football games provide the same sort of hub of Friday night social activity that you describe for HP. The alumni of Jesuit/Ursuline/Cistercian have strong, lifelong ties both to their classmates and to their alma maters and often go to great lengths to provide the same educational experience to their own children.
Totally agree & hope my post was clear about that. But as you said, it's more of a church/ school (even Catholic schools as a whole) type community bubble and not all the kids (especially once school aged) on the block running around together, even if some are at St Mark's, some at Parish, some at St Rita,etc. The community "bubbles" tend to be the Catholic school crowd, the St Mark's/ Lamplighter/ Hockaday crowd, the public school crowd, etc.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 AM

198 posts, read 502,264 times
after reading all the troll posts/reposts/response post/response to response post/im right youre wrong posts/NO im right posts/nanya nanya posts...... im sure the OP has chosen to stay out of Dallas probably Texas!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 15,396 times
Southern1979,

A lot has been said already in the thread based on my scan of the posts, but I'll put in another plug for Lakewood from my perspective. It's a great community (not saying others aren't, it's just what I know). Been here for 5+ years, kids about the same age as yours. Looked at HP/UP as well but ultimately landed here due to love of outdoors, a more laid-back community, and more house for the dollar.

I believe someone once said the stretch from Abrams to the lake, between Gaston and Mockingbird is the largest area without a stoplight in Dallas. That was a big appeal. And being close to the lake is also great for kid-friendly activities (parks, bike rides, stroller runs, etc ... not to mention the Arboretum which is great).

Also Catholic, and though I don't go every week, St. Thomas Aquinas on Abrams is a nice church and community.

Have not joined Lakewood CC but have a few friends there. Seems quite nice, and will likely join at some point myself. Much more accessible than the DCC and Brookhollow.

School-wise others have commented and will know more. A year or two away for my oldest, but considering either Lakewood Elementary, St. Thomas, or one of the privates (commute be damned). We will see.

Hope that you are able to make a smooth transition to Dallas or wherever you land. Sounds like a tough situation you are getting out of but fortunately you seem to have the means and right priorities to move foraward. Going through a divorce myself at the moment so can at least empathize with you to an extent, especially with young kids involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas