Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,882,275 times

Advertisements

The Problem is with DART you keep building the system out and not allowing Developments around the existing stations that would reduce the unsavory people off peak riding the system. Most systems built over the last 2 decades have encouraged middle class developments around as many stations as possible. DART lags in this , and that's also why ridership is slowly dropping. DART also seems to like routing its lines away from populated areas which might be adding to the violence....your recent Green line extension goes through mostly lightly populated suburbs and away from high foot traffic areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyDartRider View Post
I've ridden DART daily for 2.5 years and never felt unsafe. This won't change my riding habits a bit.

We live in a city of 6+ million people. Guess what? Bad things will happen sometimes. Keep your street smarts about you and be aware of your surroundings, wherever you are.

As for security presence, I have not been on a metro system that has a security officer on every train or car. If you need that, don't ride it...I would also suggest not ever leaving the safety of your home.
Having spent so much time around teens as a high school teacher (most of it serious inner city), I am probably more sensitive than most to how quickly they can turn to violence or display irrational behavior at the slightest perception of disrespect-especially when in the presence of an audience of their peers.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:19 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Cranky, am I wrong, or is that link from the previous incident in November?

Here's a link to what happened this morning:
Man Killed In Shooting At Dallas DART Station « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

I am not one to scare off easy...but it does freak me out a little to think that my mom and my son rode DART to this same station a couple days ago. Obviously a completely different time of day...but still during an off-peak time when there are not as many people around. Might be a while until I (or my mom) feel comfortable riding DART with my kids again.
Ooops! I have no idea how I posted the wrote link. Yes, I was referring to the latest incident in a few days ago. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 PM

488 posts, read 555,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
That being said, I think most people would be safe on the train, but something to keep in mind especially if you are a girl, or otherwise vulnerable (ok let's just say it; for all the white people)
LOL at that comment. The times I've been on DART I never felt like I was about to be attacked by all the brown and black people. Hell, I even saw a white and black guy sitting next to each other... talking! I know, crazy!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 PM

3,853 posts, read 4,454,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
LOL at that comment. The times I've been on DART I never felt like I was about to be attacked by all the brown and black people. Hell, I even saw a white and black guy sitting next to each other... talking! I know, crazy!

Yeah, I know...again, I personally never had any problems riding the train, and would recommend it to anyone for whom it made sense as a way to get to work without sitting in traffic all day with the exceptions I listed in my prior post, but in my admittedly small and anecdotal experience, the vast majority of people who had reservations about riding DART have been white folks, both men and women. Now this is just within my circle of the world, and no this isnt every single white person in the metroplex. But it is what it is.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,560,274 times
I take the train most days from the upper Lilywhite Park-and-Ride to downtown. Even a bad day on the train beats a good day in traffic. Overall a fine ride. Have noticed that the ticket-check cops have been working it harder the past week or two as more stuff has happened lately.

Thing with the train, a moron without a ticket can get on, and it is just a random check that may nab them. That idiotic method encourages thugs.

Folks on the southside of things tell me they take the bus, as it requires a ticket to just get on. So the thugs jump on a train in the South.

But at any rate, most folks I see and meet are fairly gracious, considering that we are in all in this together.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:48 PM

343 posts, read 806,227 times
I read an article recently about a Dallas teen being beaten up at NorthPark. I am also a huge advocate for the train but it was a frightening story. The kid, a very well liked and respected North Dallas teenager, was at NorthPark and beaten up by a large gang of kids from south Dallas. The kids take the train and apparently part of their initiation is to go beat up a kid around the mall. Then combined with the shooting, it has not been a good month for DART.

However, these incidences are RARE. I could easily be beaten up on the train but never have before. I do think, however, violence is a real problem on the train especially because of its route. It travels through fairly unpopulated areas with limited exposure. I hope that the violence decreases because public transit should always be a safe, viable alternative in our city

Old 01-21-2012, 06:47 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,561,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Thing with the train, a moron without a ticket can get on, and it is just a random check that may nab them. That idiotic method encourages thugs.

Folks on the southside of things tell me they take the bus, as it requires a ticket to just get on. So the thugs jump on a train in the South.
EXACTLY why I question not having barriers in the DART train stations that are found in most any other transit system. Again, just common sense overlooked.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,882,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
EXACTLY why I question not having barriers in the DART train stations that are found in most any other transit system. Again, just common sense overlooked.
LRT systems don't use gates ,with the exception of systems in Boston ,Seattle , & LA. Theres only 12 systems in Europe and Asia that use gates , most use the honor system...

Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,561,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LRT systems don't use gates ,with the exception of systems in Boston ,Seattle , & LA. Theres only 12 systems in Europe and Asia that use gates , most use the honor system...
Kind of unwise in this day & age (quite sadly)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas