Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times

Advertisements

I lived under the main descent flight pattern into Love Field off Turtle Creek & Lemmon and RARELY noticed airplane noise. Usually only on Sunday afternoons when so many weekend trip flights are landing, but even then if wasn't overbearing/ distracting.

With Bluffview, I think even fewer flights are coming in from the north due to former President Bush's home off Meadow & Tollroad (due north of Love) being a "no fly" zone. We fly regularly in/out of Love on my company's plane and haven't flown over PH/Bluffview in quite some time.

If you can spend a day of afternoon shopping/ biking/ walking in the neighborhood, I think you'll have a good grasp on airport noise. I would also bet that with so much greenery/ trees, a lot of the noise is absorbed.

Re: crime in Bluffview, there really isn't much (other than petty property crime) in true Bluffview and really the whole area outside the south of University / west of Robin quadrant. Even then, I would say its just more lower income than "crime ridden". Now the apartments over by Bachman lake (west of Marsh) aren't great, but that is like three neighborhoods over and shouldn't be of concern. If people are telling you Bluffview is sketchy, ask them to serve you the police reports proving it to be so....haha!

What is your price range? Have you looked in Briadwood? Tucked northwest of Inwood/Lovers? It's a grid but cheaper than Devonshire and adjacent to Bluffview for walks, biking, etc. Streets are Elsby, and 4700-ish blocks of Amherst, Purdue, Stanford, etc. good if your budget is under $500k. It will be hard to find something in good condition in true Bluffview for under $500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:18 AM

64 posts, read 279,197 times
TC80, good question re budget. The reason I'm hesitating is because the property I looked at seems overpriced for the neighborhood, which is just north of Lovers Lane and jut west of Elsby. On a map, it looks like a grid like pretty much all of the neighborhoods we saw in PH, Park Cities, Greenway Parks. As a side note, I love Greenway Parks. It's my first choice by far but we can't seem to agree on price. Hence my Bluffview dilemma. My budget is higher than $500K and we could probably afford a decent "non-estatey" place in Bluffview proper (by which I mean the non grid like area) if any were for sale... Anyway, the house itself is nice and probably worth more than its neighbors but I generally do not like buying "the most expensive" property on the street. No good can come of that and it makes resale difficult. Bear in mind that I'm getting neighboring property values through Zillow, which may or may not be up to date. I think nakold makes a good point about construction in that area where smaller homes were being torn down and rebuilt and maybe this is one of those. There's virtually no yard because the house takes up pretty much the entire lot. I'm fine with that because I think I would hate dealing with maintenance (I've never lived in a house, believe it or not, because I live in a city where they don't exist). If this property were a little further north (i.e., farther away from Lovers), I would pull the trigger. But I keep hesitating because I'm concerned about the relatively low value of the neighboring homes affecting the value of this property in the next 3 to 5 years when we will probably sell.

Speaking of value, another question. What are your views on "appraisal" value of a property (let's assume for mortgage purposes) versus "market" value in these neighborhoods of Dallas? Are they more or less similar or is there a big gap?

Thanks again.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation101 View Post
TC80, good question re budget. The reason I'm hesitating is because the property I looked at seems overpriced for the neighborhood, which is just north of Lovers Lane and jut west of Elsby. On a map, it looks like a grid like pretty much all of the neighborhoods we saw in PH, Park Cities, Greenway Parks. As a side note, I love Greenway Parks. It's my first choice by far but we can't seem to agree on price. Hence my Bluffview dilemma. My budget is higher than $500K and we could probably afford a decent "non-estatey" place in Bluffview proper (by which I mean the non grid like area) if any were for sale... Anyway, the house itself is nice and probably worth more than its neighbors but I generally do not like buying "the most expensive" property on the street. No good can come of that and it makes resale difficult. Bear in mind that I'm getting neighboring property values through Zillow, which may or may not be up to date. I think nakold makes a good point about construction in that area where smaller homes were being torn down and rebuilt and maybe this is one of those. There's virtually no yard because the house takes up pretty much the entire lot. I'm fine with that because I think I would hate dealing with maintenance (I've never lived in a house, believe it or not, because I live in a city where they don't exist). If this property were a little further north (i.e., farther away from Lovers), I would pull the trigger. But I keep hesitating because I'm concerned about the relatively low value of the neighboring homes affecting the value of this property in the next 3 to 5 years when we will probably sell.

Speaking of value, another question. What are your views on "appraisal" value of a property (let's assume for mortgage purposes) versus "market" value in these neighborhoods of Dallas? Are they more or less similar or is there a big gap?

Thanks again.
Zillow is worthless for Dallas so just STOP using it. Are you working with a good realtor who knows that market? If not, you MUST. The in-town neighborhood real estate market has drastically changed since Jan 1 and you can't afford to "wing it" on your own or be yoked with a generic DFW relo agent.

To give you an idea, the Park Cities east to Lakewood and north/northwest to PH/Greenway/Bluffview Real estate market has MAJORLY "popped" since Jan 1. In the Park Cities, people are seeing multiple bids for the first time in 3-ish years AND well-priced homes are literally selling the day / week they hit the market. This isn't happening to as great a degree in PH/Bluffview yet, but it is changing and coming with every passing month. If a property is sitting for longer than 2-3 months in the area you're seeking, it is likely overpriced AND/OR the owners are underwater/unrealistic/headed for foreclosure or short sell.

If the home you are looking at doesn't have a backyard overlooking Lovers / commercial, I wouldn't worried about resale. Also, don't worry about buying the most expensive home on the BLOCK but don't buy the most expensive home in the NEIGHBORHOOD- and use common sense. The non-estate BV homes are your comps- ie, can't compare a home on Horseshoe Circle to Don Henley's spread but you could reasonably compare new construction (the more McMansion $800-1.5k range, not the architect-designed mega mansions) in Briarwood to those west of Midway (my guess as to where your chosen home might be). Also, if you are buying on a block where tear downs are going to happen (ie, the home you're looking at is brand new and you're surrounded by 1940's cottages), the teardowns WILL certainly come with the next "pop" cycle and that will affect the overall values as well as your home's "pecking" order.

As for mortgage appraisals, if no recent comps support the number, you will have a problem to negotiate through before closing. They are going to be pretty black & white and would prob compare against all of the nicer 75209 neighborhoods- down to HP West & Greenway and possibly into Preston Hollow. Just depends on who you get and how well they know that area as appraisers are randomly assigned now.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 AM

64 posts, read 279,197 times
Jeez... okay... I'll stop looking at Zillow... Interesting that you think it's worthless for Dallas. Why do you think that? It's really on point for where I am. I have a broker of course but additional data points are always helpful.

And, yes, I am experiencing the "pop" first hand. Already lost out on a couple of properties because I decided to wait a week or two to think about it. Crazy. However, I don't like to jump the gun on house purchases so my view is that it just wasn't meant to be.

Fyi, I'm looking at east of Midway, not west.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation101 View Post
Jeez... okay... I'll stop looking at Zillow... Interesting that you think it's worthless for Dallas. Why do you think that? It's really on point for where I am. I have a broker of course but additional data points are always helpful.

And, yes, I am experiencing the "pop" first hand. Already lost out on a couple of properties because I decided to wait a week or two to think about it. Crazy. However, I don't like to jump the gun on house purchases so my view is that it just wasn't meant to be.

Fyi, I'm looking at east of Midway, not west.
Zillow is worthless in Dallas (all of TX really) because TX is a non-disclosure state - ie, what someone paid for their home isn't public record like it is in California or other states. Thus, Zillow values here are an absolute shot in the dark.

I just looked up our East Dallas home which we considered listing this spring. Zillow has our home zoned to the correct DISD elementary school, Highland Park middle school (WTH?!) and the wrong DISD high school. It says we have a 4th bedroom but we don't (never did). The market value is off by about 15-20% (understated on Zillow). I am using the price our realtor expected us to sell at (smidge below list) as market value. Considering she has closed 2 homes on our street within 30 days this spring, I will assume she knows her stuff!!

I also looked up my condo which we are renting out. It is understating the rent value I am getting by about 25%. I think the sales "zestimate" is actually overstated about 30% based on the MLS sold comps our realtor recently pulled so we can protest tax values.

You are eventually going to have to jump on a new listing to be able to buy a home here. I noticed driving through UP this week that there were nearly 2X the number of pending & sold signs vs "for sale" signs....supply is crazy low right now!! Hopefully you will have seen enough properties to recognize a great one for you & be able to react quickly.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
It's been so long since I posted on this forum! Yes, Zillow is off for Dallas. The home I own now as well as my previous home. Bluffview, Briarwood, Greenway Parks...oh my gosh, would love to live in those areas, but mostly Bluffview. It's like a hidden world in there.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:27 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
It's been so long since I posted on this forum! Yes, Zillow is off for Dallas. The home I own now as well as my previous home. Bluffview, Briarwood, Greenway Parks...oh my gosh, would love to live in those areas, but mostly Bluffview. It's like a hidden world in there.

Left out part of my post! The home I own now as well as my previous home were WAY off on Zillow.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 40,104 times
I was previously considering Lakewood and M Streets for homes that my wife and I are looking to buy this fall, but have begun to also think about more parts of the great PH area. I haven't previously considered Bluffview/Devonshire/Greenway Parks, etc. I was mainly looking at M Streets and Lakewood because of the great elementary school options (we don't currently have kids, but are looking to have some fairly soon, so we're looking at kids being in kindergarten in the next 5 or 6 years). We aren't sure if we'd still be sitting in the same house that we buy by then, but want to be on the safe side. Our budget is $400k. How are the homes in the Bluffview/Devonshire/Greenway Parks area for that budget? We are looking at 3 BR/2 BA MINIMUM. Also, how are the elementary schools in those areas, as well as the great PH area (75, Tollway, NW Hwy, 635).

Thanks for your feedback!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebears1982 View Post
I was previously considering Lakewood and M Streets for homes that my wife and I are looking to buy this fall, but have begun to also think about more parts of the great PH area. I haven't previously considered Bluffview/Devonshire/Greenway Parks, etc. I was mainly looking at M Streets and Lakewood because of the great elementary school options (we don't currently have kids, but are looking to have some fairly soon, so we're looking at kids being in kindergarten in the next 5 or 6 years). We aren't sure if we'd still be sitting in the same house that we buy by then, but want to be on the safe side. Our budget is $400k. How are the homes in the Bluffview/Devonshire/Greenway Parks area for that budget? We are looking at 3 BR/2 BA MINIMUM. Also, how are the elementary schools in those areas, as well as the great PH area (75, Tollway, NW Hwy, 635).

Thanks for your feedback!

GREAT neighborhoods!! I actually prefer them over Lakewood b/c --to me-- Lakewood seems so far off to the east and the shopping options are more varied (and better, IMO) in the central/ Park Cities areas. Plus, the hills and winding roads of Bluffview, ahh!!

That said, the public elementary schools zoned to Bluffview/ Devonshire/ Greenway ABSOLUTELY STINK. You would have to budget in private schools, of which many good ones are in the close vicinity (St Michael's, Christ the King, Providence, Westminster Day School, Meadowbrook, etc). If you will not be able to afford private school, you need to keep your focus on Lakewood/Stonewall Jackson Elementaries or move north into PH where PH Elementary, Kramer, Pershing, Degoyler, etc are all good public elementary choices.

The $/SF in these areas is greater than Lakewood so you'll see smaller homes at same price points (again, location location location is the #1 driver of price, and land is $$$ in these neighborhoods). The bottom line is not good for your budget and housing needs. $400k is more the 2/2 price range (and well under 2000SF) in these neighborhoods. The 3/2s on the market range from about 1400-2000SF ($200-$285/SF vs $180-220/SF for 3/2s in Lakewood & Jackson Elementary areas). On the market at the moment, this is what you have to pick from:
Devonshire - 1 property
Greenway Crest (between University & Lovers) - 1 property
Briarwood- 4 properties
Bluffview- 2 properties

Many of these have floorplan issues or are less desirable real estate (corner lot on busy road, backs to commercial, etc).

I think you really need $500k++ to play in Devonshire/ Briarwood/Bluffivew/ Greenway Crest (maybe $450k there), and $650-750k++ to play in Greeway Parks.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:54 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,392 times
Out of curiosity, where would you send someone priced out of these areas, for a next-best option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think you really need $500k++ to play in Devonshire/ Briarwood/Bluffivew/ Greenway Crest (maybe $450k there), and $650-750k++ to play in Greeway Parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas