Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times

Advertisements

I think that this tread has gone off in the wrong direction...

People post on here all the time asking about areas with specific demographics...There are a few threads with questions about asian majority areas for instance...

Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
UNTeagle, there are some whiny folks on this message board that whine about anything - just ignore them.

There is nothing wrong with white folks wanting to live next to white folks, black folks wanting to live net to black folks, and mexican folks wanting to live next to mexican folks.

Jews, asians, italians, you name it have done it in the USA for hundreds of years. It's no biggie.

The black folks are doing it right now with the 4 big suburbs south of Dallas...Lancaster, Desoto, Cedar Hill and Duncanville. All 4 cities have had vast swaths of black people move there over the last 10 or 20 years. Saying those guys are all racist is just retarded, as is saying you are a racist. It's BS. But those same whiny folks who whine about everything else on this message board...will cry foul just because you asked a reasonable question.

You might look at Forney - that city is 80-90% white, has excellent schools and is very affordable. Plus the commute to downtown is not near as bad as coming from say Plano, Rockwall or Lewisville.

Also, Crandall is a white majority city too and even more affordable - plus the commute to downtown, though slightly farther out than Forney, is very easy with very minimal traffic down 175 straight to downtown.

Good luck.
Right by half. There are 'ethnic' neighborhoods in many major cities. Sometimes they form as the result of economics, sometimes they continue out of tradition. Nothing wrong with that. Many times the ethnic enclaves historically were the only areas the new immigrants were allowed to live in.

White folks living next to white folks or black enclaves in and of themselves are fine and not racist (please some may take issue with 'retarded' being used as a slur).

The issue is when it goes beyond cultural, economic issues and become an exclusionary practice.

And 'whiny'? I think several on the board had well-constructed, non-emotional arguments.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
I don't know the OP's real heart, so I can't say whether the guy is a racist or not. I'll just reiterate that not wanting to be one of a few of any kind isn't racist. Other than not being able to afford Highland Park, I wouldn't want to live there as a Jewish person because I have heard many stories from Jewish friends whose families go back generations here who have told me that Jews are certainly not welcome at The Dallas Country Club, and that they wouldn't feel comfortable in the Park Cities. Does this make this former WASP, a racist against WASPS?

I will never find a school where there are even 10% Jews in most places in Texas. I just don't want my kids to be the only ones and to be constantly told they're going to hell, etc. I prefer a multi-cultural setting where there is tolerance. Multi-cultural isn't 80% of one thing, whether it be white, hispanic or AA. And multi-cultural is different than low socio-economic with low performing schools. Nobody wants to their kids to go to a school which is low performing and filled with gangs. I don't care what color or creed the parent is--unless they have no choice.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
The issue is when it goes beyond cultural, economic issues and become an exclusionary practice.
I am not challenging your logic here, but I am curious..Give me an example of where this is happening?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:56 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I am not challenging your logic here, but I am curious..Give me an example of where this is happening?
Racial steering for one.

Buy Beers in the North End and we can chat about it.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Racial steering for one.

Buy Beers in the North End and we can chat about it.
You're on! Or a nice Coffee/Buca and Canoli at an open Cafe on Hanover St.

Racial Steering? As in at the institutional level? Like realtors showing properties in areas where there are similar races? Interesting point..Sometimes people specifically ask for that though. Take Asian folks for example looking to be in their own communities.

I would argue that type of steering, at least what I am recalling from my own experience is based more on class and less about actual "I don't want to live next to a black guy". Speaking of which, I feel like blacks self-segregate just as much if not moreso than other races. At least up here anyway..

I would also suggest planning, migrations of folks at different times, has influenced this significantly in older cities like D.C. Beantown, Detroit.

I am in no way saying this type of thing is ok, but when I think critically about this stuff at times I feel we are trying to change aspects of the very core of the human condition.

Last edited by skids929; 02-02-2012 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Has anyone here actually been inside a school that's 95% black (or whatever)? I guarantee such a school is going to be in the bad part of town. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-03-2012 at 12:09 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 05:05 PM

291 posts, read 674,801 times
FYI - African-Americans aren't the only minority in this country.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:07 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGirl View Post
FYI - African-Americans aren't the only minority in this country.
Well the other big one is Latinos and a lot of them (most?) are white

Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Has anyone here actually been inside a school that's 95% black (or whatever)? I guarantee such a school is going to be in the bad part of town. .
95% no. Can't say that I have. My son's school is only 83% "whatever" The whatever in this case is Hispanic. It is also an excellent school, with quite a few transfer students who have parents who have worked to get their kids into this school. The "bad part of town" it is in is smack dab in the middle of Junius Heights. You know, the neighborhood This Old House picked as the best historic neighborhood for families in the US.
A majority minority school need not be in a bad part of town. The Current breakdown of my son's school in 83% Hispanic, 8% white, 7% Percent Black, 1% native American, and 1% Pacific Islander. The distribution is not equal across grade levels. 3rd grade which my son is in - and below have many more white students than 4'th and 5'th largely because that is the age that is the age of the oldest kids of the younger married couples who bought into Junius Heights, and Munger Place.

Interestingly, although the school is excellent, we did apply at one Vanguard to try to take advantage of some of the additional opportunities offered there. An arts Vanguard that teaches the international Core Curriculum instead of standard DISD curriculum. It is a slightly better school, I believe, though our school is excellent. It is in a safe, but not nearly as nice part of town. The ethnic breakdown? 80% Hispanic, 18% Black, and 2% white. Good schools are not only majority white schools. In fact it is even possible (though I would be dishonest to deny there is usually a correlation) to have a good school in a not so nice part of town. Possible enough that we, and some other parents I know, are actively seeking to get our kids into a school where our race is a smaller minority, and the school is in a worse part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: