Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM

90 posts, read 182,660 times

Advertisements

Hi there, thanks for your amazing information. Well received. I find prosper intriguing but trying to figure it out, on their info site it says things like "not but ten minutes to major shopping of frisco" and " easy access to 75" etc. is it really? What's the traffic like to leave prosper and hit 75? What about retail and shopping closer in? Also, with the start of apparent boom, will the current ratio of 12 to 1 teachers to children increase in the future? Trying to get a feel for how out there prosper actually is. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemberly283 View Post
Hi there, thanks for your amazing information. Well received. I find prosper intriguing but trying to figure it out, on their info site it says things like "not but ten minutes to major shopping of frisco" and " easy access to 75" etc. is it really? What's the traffic like to leave prosper and hit 75? What about retail and shopping closer in? Also, with the start of apparent boom, will the current ratio of 12 to 1 teachers to children increase in the future? Trying to get a feel for how out there prosper actually is. Thanks
You probably misread the website. While Prosper does offer easy access to Frisco (and McKinney), it is close to the Dallas Tollway, NOT 75. To get to 75 you would have to take the Tollway to the George Bush and from there to 75, not a great commute depending on how far down 75 you have to go. Do you work off 75? If you have a specific work location you should mention it then we can tell you if Prosper gives you a reasonable commute, but I can tell you right now that if you work further south than Plano, forget about Prosper, the commute would be hell.

Prosper itself is a fairly new suburb, not much actually in the city so you would have to go to Frisco for most of your shopping, but as mentioned Prosper is a short drive to Frisco on the Tollway. My impression is that the school was built to cater to far more students than have shown up so far. If the boom resumes, then I suspect that ratio will shoot up, but it is a great ratio for now if you have school age kids, especially since Plano and Allen ISDs offer HUGE schools which may not be a great fit for every kid. The only other caveat I would say is that Prosper ISD is so far not proven academically compared to most of the other ISDs in the Collin County area, So that's something to keep in mind.

If you work in the Plano area and want a bit more elbow room than most of Collin County provides, then Prosper is a great place to be. Most homes there offer bigger lot size than can be found in Plano or Frisco. If being on acreage is NOT a requirement, then I would look at the other suburbs as well. Remember to list where you will be working, as that might rule out Prosper (and even most of Collin County) altogether.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
You can take 380 straight to 75. Depending where in Prosper, like Lakes of La Cima, you can get to 75 in 10 minutes or from Gentle Creek, about 15+.

Traffic is pretty good on 380, you may reach a bottleneck right before getting on 75.

There are several options for shopping either in McKinney or straight down Custer to the superwalmart or a little further down at Eldorado at my favorite Kroger in the Metroplex.

The extension of the Tollway all the way to Grayson county is in the planning and development phase. Here's the January update: http://www.ntta.org/NR/rdonlyres/DDE...cure_FINAL.pdf It will be pretty messy with the construction but that's part of progress.

Also, parts of McKinney fall in Prosper ISD which is highly rated. You can read some reviews from parents at greatschools.org and there are a couple of posters on here who live in Prosper will likely chime in soon.

Naima

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 PM

393 posts, read 1,115,040 times
Quote:
Hi there, thanks for your amazing information. Well received. I find prosper intriguing but trying to figure it out, on their info site it says things like "not but ten minutes to major shopping of frisco" and " easy access to 75" etc. is it really?
Yes.

Quote:
What's the traffic like to leave prosper and hit 75?
One of the least congested roads in the area, with a decent speed limit. The only down side is, they keep installing traffic signals on it and red lights are difficult to miss.

Quote:
What about retail and shopping closer in?
Closer in to what?

Prosper just barely exists as a recognizable town. It is expected to grow, located, as it is, in the path of the northward human tsunami from Dallas.

Quote:
Also, with the start of apparent boom, will the current ratio of 12 to 1 teachers to children increase in the future? Trying to get a feel for how out there prosper actually is. Thanks
It's way out there.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-16-2012 at 11:20 PM..

Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 PM

Here is a photo of the road from Prosper to McKinney (and 121, etc.). This is Hwy 380, and I'm driving East-bound:

P1274492_s1024 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagebuffet/6694113411/ - broken link) by Pooua (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagebuffet/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Prosper is not a town that is barely recognizable and way out there. Check out some of my previous posts for detailed information...

Prosper has no back alley way garages ( with te exception of an older neighborhood with about 23 houses). The remaining land in the town is zoned for medium and low density. Prosper has the highest median home price in Collin county and property taxes are more expensive than Frisco,Plano and Allen.
12,000 lot size plus. The new comprehensive plan is being fine tuned.A meeting was just held about it on Monday. Over 250 people showed ip to discuss the plan. You can view information on the website...
There will be appropriate amounts of retail put in that will appeal to residents and others close by. One if the things we like about Prosper is knowing that we will never have to live in retail. A 5 minute drive to Costco is fine with me. If another retail or food eatablishment was never built in the Frisco/ Prosper area I would be fine with that. I have access to everything I could want except Whole Foods within 5-10 minutes.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM

90 posts, read 182,660 times
Thanks we will start checking it out in a few weeks. We are adamant for a large yard and small schools. We Have narrowed down our search to prosper or anything that funnels into lovejoy isd. Thanks crew I have seen your previous posts, which some where the same I think cut and paste but highly informative.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM

325 posts, read 757,098 times
Quote:
Thanks we will start checking it out in a few weeks. We are adamant for a large yard and small schools. We Have narrowed down our search to prosper or anything that funnels into lovejoy isd. Thanks crew I have seen your previous posts, which some where the same I think cut and paste but highly informative.
One thing to do your due diligence on, is school and class size. When we were shopping around, one of the salesmen at a sizeable development in Prosper (and one of the top two or three builders as well) kept quoting average class sizes of 12-14 kids in the Prosper ISD. Not quite true if you do a little checking (or just outdated info). Not saying the levels they're at are bad, but don't take anything as fact that the sales people will say....

Old 02-17-2012, 11:12 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Also remember that the estimated build out for Prosper is 70,000. There will be no 5 a high school. The goal is to keep schools smaller.Here are some links that may be of interest on Prosper....

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-17-2012 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: ??? No links were included in your post Crew747

Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Perhaps I simply don't understand, but it seems to me that if Prosper has small school or class size now, that is simply because it is a small town, and not a sign of what is soon to come. I mentioned the "human tsunami from Dallas" in my earlier post. The projected wave of development that is moving North through Plano and Frisco is expected to reach through and past Prosper in the next few years. What you see in Frisco today is what I would think you would see in Prosper within the next decade, including school growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas