Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times

Advertisements

Hello Dallasites!

I currently lived in Houston and am visiting Dallas this weekend for the 1st time!
It's a trip I've been meaning to take for a long time; finally got the free time.

What are the must sees in Dallas/Ft. Worth when spending a weekend there?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 AM

105 posts, read 293,466 times
Wow. Really short notice! You do realize it's 2 in the morning on SATURDAY morning, right?? lol

I have no idea of your interests, your age, anything ... so it's hard to address your question with any accuracy. BUT ...

Here are some things we enjoy ...

Into performing arts at all? If so, in Dallas check out the new Winspear Opera House (for opera, musicals, etc) or the new Wyly Theater (for plays) which are both part of the new AT&T Performing Arts Center (two different buildings). Also in Dallas is the older, but still nice, Morton Meyerson Symphony Center. In Fort Worth, check out the absolutely gorgeous Bass Hall (venue for all sorts of performances). I have no idea what's playing at any of them this weekend.

Into art museums at all? In Dallas, check out the Dallas Museum of Art (DMA). It's very relaxing and, we think, invigorating at the same time. A Dallas museum that ANYBODY of ANY age would like (and that can be very quick to go through if you're one who gets overwhelmed by museums) is the Nasher Sculpture Center. It's right next to the DMA. Beautiful and always interesting. It has a shady, lovely lawn out back that is filled with captivating sculptures of all sizes. I PROMISE -- you WILL like it. I don't care who you are. In Fort Worth, check out the Cultural Arts District -- there's the very famous Kimbell Art Museum, which has the Age of Impressionism exhibit right now (old, famous, French pieces); or the really refreshing Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth (also houses a very small and intimate Magnolia movie theater that runs only one show at a time AND a nice little restaurant with a lot of farm-fresh, local offerings in a beautiful setting with a view -- HUGE silver trees around a large, shallow, stone-filled 'pond.') The Modern (as it's known) is lovely inside and out. Also in Fort Worth's Cultural District is the famous Amon Carter Museum, which showcases American Art. All 3 of these museums are nearby each other in a corner, north of I-30, and between Camp Bowie Blvd, University Dr, and Montgomery St.

The Fort Worth Museum of Science & History is good, too, and it's in that same little section of land.

Like gardens? If you do Dallas, the Arboretum is great! It's along the southern shore of White Rock Lake. Lots trails and garden paths surrounded by all sorts of flowers, trees, and bushes. On weekends, they often have other things going on, too -- little concerts, or things for the kids, etc. You can also take a docent-led tour of the DeGoyler estate while you're there. It's a large Mexican-hacienda-like mansion built in the late 1930's/early 1940's. Pretty! And, while in the vicinity, you can walk or bike the big, wide paths around the lake itself! (Traffic is generally slow and a little congested on the roads around the Arboretum. But it's worth it.) If you do Fort Worth, check out the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens. They're just south of the Cultural District, on the west side of University Dr. There's an enchanting little Japanese Garden in their too. And the gardens are surrounded by pretty park land -- for roaming or picnicking. While in that vicinity, you could walk or bike along the Trinity River, which (in that area) is along a big swath of park land on the west side of University Dr.

Zoos? I hear (and read in the paper) that the Dallas Zoo is quite up and coming these days! It had gone downhill. But the city has worked out some sort of a deal with private ownership, and I hear it's all going swimmingly. I need to venture out there myself! The Fort Worth Zoo is fantastic! Huge, pretty, lots of active animals. It's further south on that same street, University, south of I-30 now. If you go out that way, be sure to stop at McKinley's Bakery & Cafe for lunch! YUM! Great salads and sandwiches and iced tea. Amazing baked goods.

The Dallas World Aquarium is a very cool aquarium like one you've likely never seen. It's expensive (can't remember how much -- maybe $26 a person??), but it's very special. You enter through a jungle like area with birds and plants and fish and turtles and sloths, and such. And then you pass through all sorts of different 'climates' and territories, where you'll see all kinds of animals. There's even a section with a few mammals. You'll through a big underwater tube, surrounded by 'fish tank' where you can view the sea life from all sides. It's very fun. You end up winding your way up, and then back down. You exit through the lowest level, as I recall, and you'll see big tanks of jelly fish and seahorses and things before you go.

Sports? The American Airlines Center in Victory Park (just north of The West End -- tourist area), is pretty cool. I'm not sure what they have going on, but you could check it out. Lots of people I know rave about the tours at the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. I haven't been yet. But I hear it's great! The Rangers Ballpark used to give a great tour too. It's been a while since I've done that one. I assume it's still available. And the Texas Motor Speedway draws a crowd -- but that's totally not my thing!

The Texas School Book Depository/Sixth Floor Museum (JFK was shot right outside at Dealey Plaza) is interesting for some. I haven't been in more than 2 decades. I liked it. But I like the other things I named better.

And, there's always SMU in Dallas, too, for entertainment that is often cheaper but still very, very good. I don't know what's going on there this weekend, but the Meadows School of the Arts (on campus) offers incredible music (their orchestra is ... wow), dance, and theater. There's also a nice little museum on the property with one of the best Spanish art collections in the country, believe it or not. They might have some sporting events this weekend too. The campus is beautiful, too. A nice place to walk around if you have any teens looking at colleges. (Same can be said for TCU.)

Just want to walk around, hit some sidewalk cafes or popular bars or burger joints, maybe a movie at the awesome Magnolia theater? Go to the Uptown and West Village area, just north of Woodall Rogers Freeway and west of Central Expwy. (I recommend parking in the Magnolia theater/shopping area parking garage for free.) Lots of people, atmosphere, places to eat and shop. That area is bounded by the Katy Trail to the north, btw, which is a great place to walk, run, or bike.

A lot of people are into the Stockyards in Fort Worth. Yeah. They're kind of interesting. But the things I listed above are more my style.

Well, I'm out of steam. Have fun!!

Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 AM

393 posts, read 1,115,040 times
OK, now it's 3 in the morning, and I don't feel at all like typing such a long reply as the last guy!

My list:

Reunion Tower
Reunion Tower
I've never been up it, but I look at it any time I'm around Downtown. It has lights all over the ball, which light up in patterns at night.

The Arts District
The Dallas Arts District
It has several new buildings put up within the last 2 years, besides several old favorites. A trolley runs nearby.

The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge
It won't officially open until March 29, but you can't help but see this bridge from Downtown. You might as well know what Dallas spent $182 million on. The City had no choice, facing the power of The Mighty Trinity River(R)!

Dallas City Hall
City Facilities - Dallas City Hall
It has an unusual shape and a nice pond out front.

Hall Office Park's Texas Sculpture Garden
Texas Sculpture Garden
The world's largest private collection of contemporary Texas sculpture.

Fort Worth Stockyards National Historic District
Fort Worth Stockyards

You won't get to all of those in one day. If you are careful and fortunate, you might be able to get to all of them in 2 days, but you would need to know the order to go in order to do it best.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
The Nasher Sculpture Garden & Musem in the arts district downtown.

Highland Park Village or NorthPark if you want to shop.

Walk on the Katy Trail - get on at Knox Street & head south

Have a cocktail at the Belmont Hotel's patio with a drop-dead view of downtown Dallas

Take the free McKinney Ave Trolley from the Nasher north into Uptown to explore Dallas' thriving young professionals scene. Good if you're in your 20's or 30's.

Eat dinner in the Bishop Arts Distict- Eno's Pizza, Bolsa, Tillman's Roadhouse.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Thanks Guys!!!!!

I really appreciate the input.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:18 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Thanks Guys!!!!!

I really appreciate the input.
Welcome to Dallas, remember our weather is like this year around. Spread the word!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,309 times
Hope this list will help:

Texas Rangers Baseball museum at the Ballpark in Arlington (Arlington, TX)
Events at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington | texasrangers.com: Special Events
Dallas Cowboys stadium tour
Tours

Dallas Museums
Asian Art
The Crow Collection of Asian Art : Home
Museum of Biblical Art:
Museum of Biblical Art, Dallas, Texas
dallas courthouse
home
Dallas Holocaust Museum
Dallas Holocaust Museum-Center for Education and Tolerance

jfk 6th floor museum
Home | The Sixth Floor Museum
jfk related dealey plaza dallas tx
John Fitzgerald Kennedy Memorial - Dallas, Texas - Yahoo! Travel
Nasher Museum
Nasher Sculpture Center - Home
Dallas old city park
Welcome to Dallas Heritage Village - "Living Breathing Texas History"
SMU
Meadows Museum at Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas

Deep Ellum:
Deep Ellum travel guide - Wikitravel

Fair Park - Dallas, TX.
Aquarium at Fair Park
Children's Aquarium at Fair Park Dallas Texas
Dallas Fair Park
Welcome to Fair Park, TX!
Dallas Fair Park
Museum of Nature & Science | Dallas, Texas
Butterfly garden
Texas Discovery Gardens | Dallas Public Organic Gardens | Environmental Education and Activities | Tropical Butterfly House
Farmers Market - Dallas, TX.
Dallas Farmer's Market
Dallas McKinney Street Trolley:
MATA - McKinney Avenue Transit Authority - M-Line
Flower Garden - Dallas, TX.
* Dallas Arboretum (East Dallas/White Rock Lake)
Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden | Yearly Festivals
House of Blues/ Hard rock Cafe

Sports - Dallas, TX.
Dallas Hockey
Dallas Stars
Dallas Mavericks
THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE DALLAS MAVERICKS

symphony - Dallas, TX.
Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center

West End - Dallas,TX.:
The West End, Dallas - Tourist Traps - VirtualTourist

World Aquarium Dallas West End:
http://www.dwazoo.com/d/

Dallas Zoo - Dallas, TX.
The Dallas Zoo

Irving, TX.

Irving, TX Mustang Horse Sculpture(s)
The Mustangs of Las Colinas

Mesquite, TX.
Mesquite rodeo
Mesquite Pro Rodeo | Resistol Arena | Mesquite Rodeo | Resistol Arena | Championship Rodeo

Fort Worth Areas of interest:
Fort Worth Visitor Bureau Fort Worth Stockyards
Fort Worth Vacation - Hotels, Restaurants, Maps, Things to Do in Fort Worth
Fort Worth, TX.
Sundance Square - Located in the Heart of Downtown Fort Worth
Fort Worth Museums
Amon Carter Museum | An American Collection
Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth
https://www.kimbellart.org/index.aspx
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History |
Cowgirl Hall of Fame
National Cowgirl Museum
Sid Richardson museum Fort Worth
Sid Richardson Museum: Home
Fort Worth Nature Center
Fort Worth Nature Center & Wildlife Refuge - Fort Worth, Texas - Yahoo! Travel
Fort Worth japanese gardens
http://www.fwbg.org/japanese.htm (broken link)
Fort Worth Botanical Gardens:
Fort Worth Botanical Gardens

Warren G. Alberts WWII museum
Labor of Love Honors Military Service | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Fort Worth Stockyards
Fort Worth Stockyards
Billy bobs fort Worth stockyards
Billy Bob's Texas - The World's Largest Honky Tonk
Stockyards
Stockyards Station
Texas Motor Speedway
Texas Motor Speedway | NASCAR & IndyCar
Theatre - Fort Worth, TX.
http://www.casamanana.org/
Theatre - Fort Worth, TX.
Bass Hall, Performing Arts Fort Worth
Trinity park Train
Forest Park Miniature Railroad

Tarantula Train Ride - Fort Worth, TX. and Grapevine, TX.
Ft. Worth & Western 4-6-0 2248

Fort Worth zoo
Fort Worth Zoo

Fort Worth Stockyards
Fort Worth Stockyards
Billy bobs fort Worth stockyards
Billy Bob's Texas - The World's Largest Honky Tonk
Stockyards
Stockyards Station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas