Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 AM

49 posts, read 157,179 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

So here is my situation. I have to live in Dallas due to personal reasons I can't share on this forum. I have to live in Dallas for at least 6 months.My concern is where to live since I don't drive and don't know how to. Im 27 and have always lived in urban areas with massive public transportation. I know that Dallas is pretty car oriented and my don't know how to drive situation scares me.

I don't have a job set up but I plan on living off my savings until I get one. I can spend 3 months without working and be fine. Im bilingual in Spanish and English, have a degree in Business Administration, have experience working in hotels and retail stores but Im open to anything.

My question is Where in Dallas can I live relying 100% on the bus? What type of businesses are around that area that I can look into applying.

I have cheked the Dart website it seems quite confusing to me since I am very unfamiliar to the area thats why I thought I might ask here.

Thank you very much for reading I plan on taking driving lessons and get a car but I know that it can take a couple of months for that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
What is your rental budget? I honestly think it might be hard to find a traditional rental (apt) without proof of employment. You might end up having to put down a huge deposit or pre-pay your rent. Unfortunately, some of the places where public transportation might work best are also the more expensive places (Uptown, the Village, etc). Like you have already noticed, Dallas is a very drive-centric city.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 AM

133 posts, read 514,393 times
It's possible but difficult unless you are in one of a few areas. Patrick Kennedy is a blogger in Dallas that moved to downtown and gave up his car a few years back. He decided to start a blog about how it is living in Dallas without a car. Uptown, Downtown, Deep Ellum, Oak Cliff (with a bike) are all areas where it's possible and won't be thoroughly difficult. If you're in the suburbs, you will have a hard time.

WALKABLE Dallas-Fort Worth

His posts lately have become more about car centric culture and how to get cities to change. However, if you look at his initial posts, you'll get a lot of good insight into the issues you will face living without a car in Dallas. I think he's about your age, as well.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:50 AM

119 posts, read 352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_transplant;23532419[url=http://www.carfreeinbigd.com/
WALKABLE Dallas-Fort Worth[/url]

His posts lately have become more about car centric culture and how to get cities to change. However, if you look at his initial posts, you'll get a lot of good insight into the issues you will face living without a car in Dallas. I think he's about your age, as well.
Perhaps, but his writing style is hopelessly irritating and pretentious:

"My adrenaline is dropping and I wish to maintain my rancor for the sake of rhetoric. As I often say, it is regional infrastructure that meets local infrastructure tangentially."

Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 AM

133 posts, read 514,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedTelephone View Post
Perhaps, but his writing style is hopelessly irritating and pretentious:

"My adrenaline is dropping and I wish to maintain my rancor for the sake of rhetoric. As I often say, it is regional infrastructure that meets local infrastructure tangentially."

Oh yeah, he's definitely the young, I know better than you do and want everything RIGHT NOW, generation.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:54 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
why dont you take a driving class and get a license.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:04 AM

119 posts, read 352,275 times
Perhaps acquire one of these?

Solowheel

http://solowheel.com/wp-content/gallery/solowheel/dsc_0089.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-23-2012 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted photos require a link only

Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 AM

291 posts, read 674,728 times
I've lived in Dallas for 5 years without a car but I work from home and I have lived in areas where everything is walking distance and I take a taxi or get a ride when I need to do things that I can't do on the bus or Dart. In those areas, rent is about an average of 1000/month.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
My job was next door to my apt. I walked. I got my job, then moved next door.

OT, but today's generation is the "WHY ME?" generation.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
OP: I would look near Gelcoe Park/ Mockingbird Station. Sounds like you might be in a tough situation and the only 2 places you really need to go are the grocery store and your job. If you lived a 3 block walk from the Greenville/Mockingbird grocery store and a 3 block walk from Mockingbird Station it would be doable. Otherwise you're looking at long hikes/untimely bus rides to get to a grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas