Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh well, "I'm out phase". Moderator cut: bashing I'll try and cope with that....lol
My point stands. Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-10-2012 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Moderator cut: off-topic I don't carry nor really believe in guns for protection. Yes, in 'scary' East Dallas. My father never had guns either. I do know how to shoot (skeet, some bird hunting and rifle range). I had a BB gun as a kid but my parents really didn't like that and made me wait until I was a teenager.

Personally I feel it conflicts with my Christian faith - not making any judgments on others and their faith, so let's not go down that road. I also do not want to deny anyone else the right to carry whatever they wish - you can have an elephant gun in your pickup rack and I'm fine with that.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-10-2012 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Glock 26 Gen 3. Can't beat it, IMO.
Did you ever consider Glock 27? And why or why not?

I only ask because I've been going back and forth trying to decide myself. I don't currently own a gun, but do go to a shooting range maybe once or twice a year. Usually I rent various Glock or Sig pistols. I'm planning on getting my CHL eventually, but mostly want something to have around the house. I don't plan on buying a bunch of guns - so I kind of want the impossible ... a single solution for a perfect CHL and home defense weapon. I have also considered a 9mm conversion barrel for the 27 to save a little on practice ammunition and I've considered just getting a shotgun to keep at home and a Glock 26 for CHL. Your thoughts?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,928,674 times
I don't carry anything. (And yes, that's a valid answer to the question posed.)

Y'all must live more interesting lives than I do. I'm coming up on the half-century mark, and there is a grand total of ONE time in my life I might have had good use for a gun. And that episode involved a bear, not a person. But that's me. If it works for you, have at it.

FWIW, society in general benefits from the uncertainty of "Does he or doesn't he?" At least one of my neighbors thinks I'm packing, based on my white male outdoorsy-ness . No point in correcting them.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,439,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I don't carry anything. (And yes, that's a valid answer to the question posed.)

Y'all must live more interesting lives than I do. I'm coming up on the half-century mark, and there is a grand total of ONE time in my life I might have had good use for a gun. And that episode involved a bear, not a person. But that's me. If it works for you, have at it.
It's not about that. I don't think I've ever had a single instance in my entire life where a concealed carry would have saved me or helped any situation. I've still got mine for several reasons. Just the knowledge of how guns work and how people react is immense and awesome to have, let alone the physical security and potential life-saver you now possess.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM

719 posts, read 1,554,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
Did you ever consider Glock 27? And why or why not?

I only ask because I've been going back and forth trying to decide myself. I don't currently own a gun, but do go to a shooting range maybe once or twice a year. Usually I rent various Glock or Sig pistols. I'm planning on getting my CHL eventually, but mostly want something to have around the house. I don't plan on buying a bunch of guns - so I kind of want the impossible ... a single solution for a perfect CHL and home defense weapon. I have also considered a 9mm conversion barrel for the 27 to save a little on practice ammunition and I've considered just getting a shotgun to keep at home and a Glock 26 for CHL. Your thoughts?
I did look at .40 S&W, though I'm not sure I ever was close to sold on going that route.
I liked the fact that range ammo was cheaper for the 9mm (didn't feel like messing with barrel conversions) and there is less recoil with the 9mm versus the .40. I always felt in my comfort zone with the 9mm.
At the time I had put 1000's more rds through 9mm than any other caliber handgun so I think I went into my concealed purchase with the basic thought "What is the best 9mm carry weapon out there". It was just what I was comfortable with. I hate the ballistics debates that many get into. In an emergency situation I want to be 100% confident in what I got and for the foreseeable future that will be the 9mm "baby" glock.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 PM

325 posts, read 757,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
I did look at .40 S&W, though I'm not sure I ever was close to sold on going that route.
I liked the fact that range ammo was cheaper for the 9mm (didn't feel like messing with barrel conversions) and there is less recoil with the 9mm versus the .40. I always felt in my comfort zone with the 9mm.
At the time I had put 1000's more rds through 9mm than any other caliber handgun so I think I went into my concealed purchase with the basic thought "What is the best 9mm carry weapon out there". It was just what I was comfortable with. I hate the ballistics debates that many get into. In an emergency situation I want to be 100% confident in what I got and for the foreseeable future that will be the 9mm "baby" glock.
I think the Sig P938 will be a contender for preferred CC weapon pretty soon. I'll have to try it out at the range when it's available...

Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM

383 posts, read 733,538 times
Here's a useful resource for Texas CHL holders and prospective holders:

TexasCHLforum.com • Index page

I carry a number of Glocks, an M&P, or a Kimber most of the time. Sometimes a Keltec PF9. All good enough IMO.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,439,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
Here's a useful resource for Texas CHL holders and prospective holders:

TexasCHLforum.com • Index page

I carry a number of Glocks, an M&P, or a Kimber most of the time. Sometimes a Keltec PF9. All good enough IMO.
Which M&P do you have? Any problems with it?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:56 PM

383 posts, read 733,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Which M&P do you have? Any problems with it?
9c. Zero problems and I like it a lot. Would definitely recommend you try before you buy though.

IME a lot of casual shooters find sub-compacts too hard to shoot. Mainly because they don't have the time or inclination to put in a hefty amount of practice - and that is completely understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas