Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:26 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times

Advertisements

My mother in law (MIL) got a speeding ticket in Plano where we live. We are new residents and have a question.

MIL was speeding. I provide a car and insurance which she drives. Are their lawyers who handle Plano speeding tickets to get deferred adjudication or advise on other handling?

When living in Houston and getting a ticket in Dallas, upon receipt of ticket I got letters from a number of lawyers proposing to address the ticket. I have received none since she got the ticket in Plano. I see lawyers online who claim they handle this but prefer a reference from CD.

I prefer she pay for a lawyer and any ticket or other cost related to resolving this where insurance costs are minimized. She is a good driver but not a good test taker (80 yrs old with little formal education) so we prefer not to do defensive driving.

Has anyone used a lawyer for a plano ticket and had a good experience? If so PM me the lawyer name you used. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:19 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
My mother in law (MIL) got a speeding ticket in Plano where we live. We are new residents and have a question.

MIL was speeding. I provide a car and insurance which she drives. Are their lawyers who handle Plano speeding tickets to get deferred adjudication or advise on other handling?

When living in Houston and getting a ticket in Dallas, upon receipt of ticket I got letters from a number of lawyers proposing to address the ticket. I have received none since she got the ticket in Plano. I see lawyers online who claim they handle this but prefer a reference from CD.

I prefer she pay for a lawyer and any ticket or other cost related to resolving this where insurance costs are minimized. She is a good driver but not a good test taker (80 yrs old with little formal education) so we prefer not to do defensive driving.

Has anyone used a lawyer for a plano ticket and had a good experience? If so PM me the lawyer name you used. Thanks in advance.
Unless something else is going on in the background she won't need a lawyer for deferred adjudication. Just call the number on the ticket and ask the court to arrange it. I've done this with one phone call in the past.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Unless something else is going on in the background she won't need a lawyer for deferred adjudication. Just call the number on the ticket and ask the court to arrange it. I've done this with one phone call in the past.
Nothing else is going on, typically how long do you have to go no tickets during DJ? I am use to hiring an attorney to handle it for me from Houston and once in Dallas over the past 20 years or so

Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,436,376 times
Walk in, plead no contest, request deferred adjudication. Done.

I think the judge will set your probationary period.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
She is a good driver but not a good test taker (80 yrs old with little formal education) so we prefer not to do defensive driving.
All seriousness aside, this is priceless - an 80-yr-old speeder, I love it! Something I aspire to be!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post

All seriousness aside, this is priceless - an 80-yr-old speeder, I love it! Something I aspire to be!
Dont tell her I told you her age<G> She works out at the community center 3 times a week and works in the yard and looks 60 at most. But yes she is my speeder...my wife never has had a speeding or any type ticket so go figure must be more like her dad then her mom

Old 04-22-2012, 11:21 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,006 times
Defensive driving is not complicated , 6h in front of the tv, that's it!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Nothing else is going on, typically how long do you have to go no tickets during DJ? I am use to hiring an attorney to handle it for me from Houston and once in Dallas over the past 20 years or so
3 mos. for me. Again I arranged my DA with one phone call.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
3 mos. for me. Again I arranged my DA with one phone call.
Thanks, I forgot she did have a speeding ticket back in 2009 in Houston which we hired an attorney to deal with since we were moving to DFW.

The attorney got it handled without DA I believe since we didnt hear back from him once we informed him we were moving and I didnt want her driving back to Houston for a trial. This attorney preferred trials over DA as the terms of DA in Houston are so broad he felt it was tough to achieve. something like you couldnt break a law for 90 days or something like that when jay walking could be a violation. This was his philosophy and it worked out fine.

If you get DJ in Plano and say you happen to get a ticket in Dallas would that count and end the DJ or does it apply only to getting a ticket in Plano which is the judges jurisdiction?

Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I forgot she did have a speeding ticket back in 2009 in Houston which we hired an attorney to deal with since we were moving to DFW.

The attorney got it handled without DA I believe since we didnt hear back from him once we informed him we were moving and I didnt want her driving back to Houston for a trial. This attorney preferred trials over DA as the terms of DA in Houston are so broad he felt it was tough to achieve. something like you couldnt break a law for 90 days or something like that when jay walking could be a violation. This was his philosophy and it worked out fine.

If you get DJ in Plano and say you happen to get a ticket in Dallas would that count and end the DJ or does it apply only to getting a ticket in Plano which is the judges jurisdiction?
I was told any ticket issued in Texas would within the 90 days would revoke the DA arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: