Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:42 PM

11 posts, read 54,809 times

Advertisements

Ok, can someone tell me what is wrong with Glenn Heights? It seems to good to be true. I know everyone wants to live North of Dallas for the Tech jobs but I am looking to work in Irving. I found Glenn Heights and they seem to have real nice houses in my price range (up to $110k) and it doesn't seem that it would be too bad of a commute. I've done a search and not really seen much info on it. So what are some opinions on this area? Good schools? Low crime? Please let me know about this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 06:31 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Default Nice place overall

Glenn Heights is a small, but rapidly growing community. It is primarily residential with an ethnically and economically diverse population. The city does not have any major retail/shopping areas, but is still close enough to larger communities – DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Lancaster, and Red Oak – that do offer those services. To my knowledge, crime is not a big problem. The city does have a lot of affordable homes located in nice neighborhoods.

Glenn Heights lies in two counties and is served by two school districts. The Dallas County portion of the city is located in the DeSoto Independent School District and the Ellis County portion is in the Red Oak Independent School District. There are also a few private schools in the area. DeSoto operates two schools within the city limits of Glenn Heights – Moates Elementary (Grades PK-5) and McCowan Middle School (Grades 6-8), which opened this year. Moates serves most of Glenn Heights although a portion east of Uhl Road is zoned to Woodridge Elementary in DeSoto. The Red Oak ISD portion of Glenn Heights is served by Donald T. Shields Elementary (Grades K-4). After that, students attend the district’s Intermediate (Grades 5-6), Junior High (Grades 7-8), and High School (Grades 9-12).

Based on the most recent test scores, both districts were rated “Academically Acceptable.” Red Oak ISD, however, was “Recognized” during the 2005-06 school year. Shields and Woodridge received a “Recognized” rating for the 2006-07 school year. All other schools serving Glenn Heights were rated “Academically Acceptable.”

Having attended DeSoto schools from 1991-2003, I feel that I received a good education there. In my final years of school, a different standardized test was used (TAAS), and the district and most of its schools were “Recognized.” While they might not be as good as they were then, you can still get a quality education there. I honestly don’t know that much about the Red Oak Independent School District, but it appears to be a high performing district academically.

The only negatives I can think of is that the condition of some of the main roads can make driving a little rough. Also, in past years the city was in the news due to disputes between city officials that led to recall votes and a revolving door of mayors, but things seemed to have calmed down after elections late last year.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:32 AM

11 posts, read 54,809 times
Default Thanks!

That does help, thanks for the info! DFW is such a big place and it's hard to know what's a good area when you are in another state. I live in the New Orleans area so political issues aren't new and we have pot-holes that could swallow a small bus, so that doesn't bother me too much. Thanks again.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:42 PM

89 posts, read 172,657 times
My husband job is moving to Adison Texas, in march. My girls and i will join him this summer. We would like to fine a town around Addison that has excellent schools and upscale hair salons, that is my job. we are an african american family, my concern is moving to a all white community in the south. could someone let me know has the south change. We live in a all white community now , but it is the midwest. And thats not saying a whole lot. could some one let me know about the schools and the hair salon. Thanks p.s. i hope i did not offend anyone. concern parent

Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1969 View Post
My husband job is moving to Adison Texas, in march. My girls and i will join him this summer. We would like to fine a town around Addison that has excellent schools and upscale hair salons, that is my job. we are an african american family, my concern is moving to a all white community in the south. could someone let me know has the south change. We live in a all white community now , but it is the midwest. And thats not saying a whole lot. could some one let me know about the schools and the hair salon. Thanks p.s. i hope i did not offend anyone. concern parent
You will find Dallas to be pretty diverse, you shouldn't be concerned. Addison itself is pretty upscale, however for an upscale hair salon I would suggest the Park Cities (University Park and Highland Park), Addison itself around the Galleria, especially inside the Galleria, Frisco (Stonebriar), West Plano (Willow Bend) and other areas. The schools in all these places are very good too. You may want to check another thread here that discusses specifically hair salons.

Look at Tony and Guy, Ciao Bella, Red Door salon. Are you looking to open a salon or work in an existing one?

Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,656 times
so how is red oaks crime rating b/c im going 2 b moving in june an i need 2 make a choise on where my family is going to move so what do u think is better : desoto, duncanville, plano, glenn hights, red oak, frisco, and not trying 2 ask 4 but i need the crime rating an school information thanks and i hope u can help me.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Out of the cities you have listed I would choose Plano, Desoto, Frisco or Red Oak. Glenn Heights is a okay city but seems to be lacking city services. I had a co-worker that lived there and she was not to happy with the city. There are some new homes going up in the area but I think they are still lacking.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:34 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
We were recently searching for a new City manager and it seemed like there was talk about the fact that Glenn Heights went thru City administrators pretty rapidly,

Old 03-24-2008, 06:31 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexygirl524 View Post
so how is red oaks crime rating b/c im going 2 b moving in june an i need 2 make a choise on where my family is going to move so what do u think is better : desoto, duncanville, plano, glenn hights, red oak, frisco, and not trying 2 ask 4 but i need the crime rating an school information thanks and i hope u can help me.
Of the four southern suburbs you mentioned, I would say DeSoto would top my list. I lived there for sixteen years and attended school there. Its a nice and safe city. As I said in an earlier post, Glenn Heights is still small and you would have to go to some of the larger surrounding communities - DeSoto, Lancaster, Cedar Hill for groceries, shopping, etc.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:34 PM

68 posts, read 233,442 times
Smile Consider Keller too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatTX View Post
Ok, can someone tell me what is wrong with Glenn Heights? It seems to good to be true. I know everyone wants to live North of Dallas for the Tech jobs but I am looking to work in Irving. I found Glenn Heights and they seem to have real nice houses in my price range (up to $110k) and it doesn't seem that it would be too bad of a commute. I've done a search and not really seen much info on it. So what are some opinions on this area? Good schools? Low crime? Please let me know about this place.
I am an RE agent for just NEW/er homes. For the price under 110K Glenn Heights has some pretty decent homes. You will not find those prices in the Northern Dallas area, unless you live in a less desirable part of town. You might want to consider Keller as well. The prices might be a little more 130K, but the area is newer and the schools are rated well. We have had clients move to Keller that commuted into Irving. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-26-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Advertising is strictly prohibited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: