Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:33 AM

16 posts, read 65,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
Amen! that was the first thing I noticed in Texas: You can see for miles and miles. There is an area in Texas called the "Hill" country but I am honestly not sure where that is. I hear Austin is a lot "prettier" than Dallas. I am so excited to get home to PA and experience snow again!
Last year in Jersey we didn't see snow either. Maybe once, and I lived down the street from High Point, NJ; where PA and NY state meet NJ. Ice storms, and lots of rain last winter. Where in PA? Are you moving home?

I read about the "Hill Country" It's a drive, everything is so far. I also looked at pictures of the "hills" and they look pretty barren to me. Not too much green going on in Texas. I have been spoiled by the beauty of the North East with our lush green mountains, and trees older than time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJerseyGirl View Post
Dallas is beautiful, for a city. I was impressed with how clean it is compared to NYC.
Downtown McKinney is also very pretty with it's historic houses.

What I didn't realize before we moved here was that there are no hills no mountains close enough to climb. Hiking around NJ/NY/PA usually involved climbing a really big hill or mountain. Now we have to drive 5 hours to see a hill? Do you know of anything closer? Hiking around a flat park is not really my idea of hiking.

I know you aren't too thrilled about the hill country, but you might at least check it out. It does get quite lush and green, though with fall arriving, it might be tapering off a bit. It is beautiful when all the bluebonnets are out everywhere, too.

It is certainly not a 5 hour drive, though! It should really only take a few hours - 3, 4 tops. I know that isn't super convenient, but I think it's worth it!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I know you aren't too thrilled about the hill country, but you might at least check it out. It does get quite lush and green, though with fall arriving, it might be tapering off a bit. It is beautiful when all the bluebonnets are out everywhere, too.

It is certainly not a 5 hour drive, though! It should really only take a few hours - 3, 4 tops. I know that isn't super convenient, but I think it's worth it!

It's not 5 hours! Great! I hate driving that long, waste of time. I plan on seeing everything I can while in Texas. We are here for at least 2 years, and we'll see after that. I am certainly going to make the best of it. I don't like the idea of everything being so far away, but what can you do...

Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arfwoof View Post
Just curious on how long it took you to finally feel at home.

It's been here for a few weeks and I'm still struggling to get adjusted and feeling that the house and city are *home*.

Traffic has been a big surprise. It's worse than I expected!
What about how long it'll take for the natives to accept you as one of us?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:54 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApisces View Post
I have been here for 7 years. At right about 5 years I started to feel what you may call "at home". Unfortuately, at that time I also realized that I could never call Dallas "home". I am leaving Dallas permanently next month. There are FAR better places than Dallas to call "home", in my opinion.

The customs and way of life here are so significantly different than life on the East Coast where I am from and moving back to. It strikes me as far too "transient" for my tastes. The fact that most things here are newer construction makes Dallas and the nearby burbs all look like too sterile and cookie cutter for my liking. It lacks that "old world" charm that the more established areas of the Country like the East coast have.
Well...Dallas has that "transient" feel with all those cookie-cutter new constructions because of all the out-of-state transplants moving here. It's because of y'all, not because of US. A lot of us don't like it either. Not sayin', just sayin'....you understand. Don't blame us.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,066,693 times
Quote:
Dallas is beautiful, for a city. I was impressed with how clean it is compared to NYC.
Downtown McKinney is also very pretty with it's historic houses.

What I didn't realize before we moved here was that there are no hills no mountains close enough to climb. Hiking around NJ/NY/PA usually involved climbing a really big hill or mountain. Now we have to drive 5 hours to see a hill? Do you know of anything closer? Hiking around a flat park is not really my idea of hiking.
Go to the Cedar Hills state park in southwest Dallas county for some hilly terrain. Or, drive west of Fort Worth between Weatherford and Albany on highway US180. You'll see plenty of hills.

The Arbuckle mountains in southern Oklahoma are under two hours from downtown Dallas on highway I35.

The land immediately south of Abilene is hilly, around the quaint town of Buffalo Gap. BTW, Abilene is worth a day trip.

If 5 hours is your criterion, then drive to Caprock Canyons state park for some incredibly rugged desert mountain country. A little to the north, the Palo Duro state park is also very rugged and mountainous.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:17 AM

108 posts, read 570,075 times
Quote:
Last year in Jersey we didn't see snow either. Maybe once, and I lived down the street from High Point, NJ; where PA and NY state meet NJ. Ice storms, and lots of rain last winter. Where in PA? Are you moving home?

I read about the "Hill Country" It's a drive, everything is so far. I also looked at pictures of the "hills" and they look pretty barren to me. Not too much green going on in Texas. I have been spoiled by the beauty of the North East with our lush green mountains, and trees older than time.
Jersey Girl, try the Cedar Hill State Park on the south side on FM1382 - Belt Line Road. (Maybe 30 miles from you) Not like what you'd find in Austin, but not so bad.

Cedar Hill State Park (broken link)

The Metroplex isn't ALL flat.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Go to the Cedar Hills state park in southwest Dallas county for some hilly terrain. Or, drive west of Fort Worth between Weatherford and Albany on highway US180. You'll see plenty of hills.

The Arbuckle mountains in southern Oklahoma are under two hours from downtown Dallas on highway I35.

The land immediately south of Abilene is hilly, around the quaint town of Buffalo Gap. BTW, Abilene is worth a day trip.

If 5 hours is your criterion, then drive to Caprock Canyons state park for some incredibly rugged desert mountain country. A little to the north, the Palo Duro state park is also very rugged and mountainous.
Thank you for the suggestions!
I'll try Cedar Hills this weekend if possible, with everything else mentioned as I can.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthDallas40 View Post
Jersey Girl, try the Cedar Hill State Park on the south side on FM1382 - Belt Line Road. (Maybe 30 miles from you) Not like what you'd find in Austin, but not so bad.

Cedar Hill State Park (broken link)

The Metroplex isn't ALL flat.

Thank you too! Great pictures, this is what I am looking for, can't wait to go check it out.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:01 AM

457 posts, read 431,164 times
Quote:

Yep. Moving back home to PA. I have no interest in even ever visiting Texas as long as I live! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas