Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM

24 posts, read 90,680 times

Advertisements

but I live here anyway because of family problems.

I used to live in socal, where the weather is nice and people know how to drive. They yield to pedestrians. They use turn signals.

Around here (D/FW Metroplex), most of the freeways are under construction, and some of the construction is specially to charge you money to drive on the road! It's like the 91 but this is going to be everywhere in D/FW.

People drive more aggressively in the metroplex than in Southern California. You people tailgate and change lanes without signaling. Just last week, I had to get off I-30 on the shoulder because some guy was tailgating me so close it looked like the driver was sitting in my back seat! I have traction control and can come to a quick stop half on concrete and half on gravel/grass.

People drive more aggressively in NYC, but it's in the form of honking and tailgating, but the speeds are generally so low (5 mph) that it doesn't matter! It's fun to honk! It's all part of the game. Crashes are rare because the traffic moves so slowly, despite the most aggressive driving I've ever observed.

There are 6 million people in the metroplex. Arlington has 300,000 people, right in the middle of it, including some big-time destinations like baseball and 6 flags, and yet there's no one single city bus or train. What is wrong with this idiodic city? There are plenty of poor people (including me) who would love to take the bus somewhere. Trains are even nicer.

I rode all the trains in Dallas, just for fun. People use it! "Build it and they will come" is true. Why is it that only ghetto neighboorhoods in Dallas get train service or at least a bus? I never rode the bus in socal but poorer people did. It gives them a ride so they can work or whatever.

Why can't you people obey the sign on southbound I-35 at the Red River that says "Welcome to Texas, Drive Friendly!"

It's hotter than hell, humid, and hundreds and hundreds of miles from a beach or mountains. Moderator cut: 0ff-Topic for this thread and forum

Is Texas basically like the Southeast but without the cooler wetter weather?

What do people do for fun here since life sucks so hard in this god-forsaken state?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-03-2012 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: moved from the Texas Forum

Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,759,412 times
Now that you are done ranting, feel better now?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:22 PM

392 posts, read 633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 cats View Post
What do people do for fun here since life sucks so hard in this god-forsaken state?
We rag on people like you.

Thanks for identifying yourself... We had almost run out of whiners to throw stones at.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I agree about the drivers, but you can find those in any city. SoCal may have great drivers, but my husband tells me the roads are so filled with potholes that you couldn't speed even if you wanted to. Now that the rant is over and you let off some steam,, why don't you take a look at meetup.com and see what is going on around the city. There's plenty to do there if you look for it And as for heat, you did know it gets hot in Texas right? Especially July and August. People weren't pulling your leg if they tried to warn you. Go outdoors before noon and then again after 5pm...That's one of the reasons siesta is so popular in border states and South of the border. Life sucks for grumpy people no matter where they are, so it isn't that Texas sucks, it's just that you are in a negative frame of mind right now and aren't even trying to find something to do.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:

I used to live in socal, where the weather is nice and people know how to drive. They yield to pedestrians. They use turn signals.

Around here (D/FW Metroplex), most of the freeways are under construction, and some of the construction is specially to charge you money to drive on the road! It's like the 91 but this is going to be everywhere in D/FW.

People drive more aggressively in the metroplex than in Southern California. You people tailgate and change lanes without signaling. Just last week, I had to get off I-30 on the shoulder because some guy was tailgating me so close it looked like the driver was sitting in my back seat! I have traction control and can come to a quick stop half on concrete and half on gravel/grass.

People drive more aggressively in NYC, but it's in the form of honking and tailgating, but the speeds are generally so low (5 mph) that it doesn't matter! It's fun to honk! It's all part of the game. Crashes are rare because the traffic moves so slowly, despite the most aggressive driving I've ever observed.

There are 6 million people in the metroplex. Arlington has 300,000 people, right in the middle of it, including some big-time destinations like baseball and 6 flags, and yet there's no one single city bus or train. What is wrong with this idiodic city? There are plenty of poor people (including me) who would love to take the bus somewhere. Trains are even nicer.

I rode all the trains in Dallas, just for fun. People use it! "Build it and they will come" is true. Why is it that only ghetto neighboorhoods in Dallas get train service or at least a bus? I never rode the bus in socal but poorer people did. It gives them a ride so they can work or whatever.

Why can't you people obey the sign on southbound I-35 at the Red River that says "Welcome to Texas, Drive Friendly!"

It's hotter than hell, humid, and hundreds and hundreds of miles from a beach or mountains. Moderator cut: 0ff-Topic for this thread and forum Is Texas basically like the Southeast but without the cooler wetter weather?

Where exactly in the southeast are you referring to? Virtually all points east of DFW are cooler and wetter.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-03-2012 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM

392 posts, read 633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Where exactly in the southeast are you referring to? Virtually all points east of DFW are cooler and wetter.
and much more humid. Insufferable.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:54 PM

24 posts, read 90,680 times
This is true. Houston is just as humid. Praise the Lord I don't live there!

meetup.com is something I've heard of but never actually gone... I will look into that, thanks

p.s. yeah I know it's hot in Texas, I was just listing the negatives

Old 07-03-2012, 02:03 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
Quote:

It's hotter than hell, humid, and hundreds and hundreds of miles from a beach or mountains. Moderator cut: 0ff-Topic for this thread and forum

Is Texas basically like the Southeast but without the cooler wetter weather?

Well, most of the drivers have come from other states, and feel that THEIR way of driving is the proper way. TEXANS drive friendly, it's the new comers that are the problem.

Beaches? There are numerous area lakes with beaches. There is even a thread on the Dallas forum with photos of some area beaches.

Mountains? Less than 500 miles from Dallas to Davis Mountains State Park in the Big Bend. Or, the Hill Country is closer than that. Austin has 6th Street and Barton Springs. There are more than 30 wineries in the Hill Country.

Try Willie Nelson's 4th of July Picnic in the Fort Worth Stockyards. Sounds like loads of fun.
Lots of museums with A/C in the the metroplex.
Ride a streetcar on McKinney Avenue and enjoy a drink on a patio in Uptown.
Go to a baseball game. If not a Ranger game, then a RoughRider game in Frisco. Or, join a local team.
In October, you can go to THE STATE FAIR OF TEXAS!

Fun is a state of mind.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-03-2012 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 07-03-2012, 02:10 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times
Quote:

It's hotter than hell, humid, and hundreds and hundreds of miles from a beach or mountains. Moderator cut: 0ff-Topic for this thread and forum Is Texas basically like the Southeast but without the cooler wetter weather?

There isn't any public transportation in Arlington because the citizens voted it down. You have to realize that Arlington is a suburban city.

Are you serious? The entire city of Dallas has buses and trains. There's only a few toll roads in Dallas-Fort Worth. The only one that was under construction was the Bush Turnpike. You don't have to drive on it. There's many alternatives you can use. The other freeways are expanding and will cost you nothing to drive on.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-03-2012 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text

Old 07-03-2012, 02:14 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. I mean the Metroplex is FULL of transplants...namely from California...more specifically Southern California. Seriously, I couldn't throw a rock in Dallas without hitting a transplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas