Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:32 PM

19 posts, read 51,493 times

Advertisements

I need some suggestions for reputable private schools with programs for children who are not yet 3.
We're under no delusion about how difficult it is to gain acceptance into the top private schools in Dallas, so we've begun the process as early as possible.

We are hoping our daughter will be admitted to The da Vinci School this year, and we've done everything in our power to try and secure a spot for her (we put her on the waiting list early, we've attended open house, enrolled her in enrichment classes, put her in their summer camp, etc.). Another hopeful parent approached me at our weekly enrichment class and said that they heard that they're already full for this fall in the under-3 age groups. We haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone happen to know whether offers have been made and accepted for the youngest children? It's only been two weeks since the little ones finished summer camp, and camp does not end until the first week of August for the rest of the children. I'm doing my best not to be "that parent" who calls and pesters, so I thought I would put out a feeler and see what turns up. While hoping that she still has a shot, I'm looking for Plan B...

We don't feel that true montessori (e.g. St. Alcuin) is a good fit for us, and we don't want to put her in a school with a religious affiliation or church location (e.g. Northaven Co-Op; Oak Crest). Distance is no problem--I will take her wherever has a great academic program. I would also rather not put her in a day care like Creme de la Creme/KidsRKids/Primrose. From comments made by the people I know whose kids are attending top Dallas private schools, it seems unheard of for a child to feed in at age 3 from one of these child care center "schools." Nonetheless, left without options I'm not sure what to do in the event that she gets rejected or waitlisted from da Vinci. Any help at all will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,493,575 times
I honestly can't think of any that take kids before 3, except for Mothers Day Out programs, which tend to be housed in churches and are clearly not what you are looking for. Lamplighter might be a good fit, but I'm pretty sure they don't take children before 3, I could be wrong.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
I'm buried in meetings but will respond later.

Statistically you are playing five card stud against Amarillo Slim. He's got five cards and you've thrown four of your five in the trash.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:29 PM

19 posts, read 51,493 times
TXNGL: Yes, we are applying to Lamplighter next month for the 2013-2014 school year (age 3), assuming we don't get an acceptance at The da Vinci School first.

I look forward to hearing from you, EDS_.

Thanks to you both.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:59 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama View Post
I would also rather not put her in a day care like Creme de la Creme/KidsRKids/Primrose. From comments made by the people I know whose kids are attending top Dallas private schools, it seems unheard of for a child to feed in at age 3 from one of these child care center "schools." Nonetheless, left without options I'm not sure what to do in the event that she gets rejected or waitlisted from da Vinci. Any help at all will be appreciated.
My son made it into two of the privates from Primrose.

I know a number made it in from PISD, GISD, and homeschooling.

I know of two others who came in from publics on the outside and made it in in the last spring for the following year.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:28 PM

263 posts, read 565,118 times
If you arent interrested in Montessori or anything housed in a religous institution (even if it doesnt mention religion) then daVinci is the only thing I found in Dallas that has something under 3 years old. I had similar requirements when looking and thought Northaven Co-op and Preston Royal preschool would have stayed away from religion. Apple Creek which is located in either Frisco or Allen also fit the bill, but ultimately is really too far away. We tried and did not get in at daVinci (for under 3s) the last two years (i have a 3 and 4 year old) and heard around the second or third week of July. They do seem to open up more spaces at the 3 year old level so you could get in next year. No one says you have to stay where you start at age 2. Good luck finding something for your child.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:21 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama View Post
I need some suggestions for reputable private schools with programs for children who are not yet 3.
We're under no delusion about how difficult it is to gain acceptance into the top private schools in Dallas, so we've begun the process as early as possible.

We are hoping our daughter will be admitted to The da Vinci School this year, and we've done everything in our power to try and secure a spot for her (we put her on the waiting list early, we've attended open house, enrolled her in enrichment classes, put her in their summer camp, etc.). Another hopeful parent approached me at our weekly enrichment class and said that they heard that they're already full for this fall in the under-3 age groups. We haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone happen to know whether offers have been made and accepted for the youngest children? It's only been two weeks since the little ones finished summer camp, and camp does not end until the first week of August for the rest of the children. I'm doing my best not to be "that parent" who calls and pesters, so I thought I would put out a feeler and see what turns up. While hoping that she still has a shot, I'm looking for Plan B...

We don't feel that true montessori (e.g. St. Alcuin) is a good fit for us, and we don't want to put her in a school with a religious affiliation or church location (e.g. Northaven Co-Op; Oak Crest). Distance is no problem--I will take her wherever has a great academic program. I would also rather not put her in a day care like Creme de la Creme/KidsRKids/Primrose. From comments made by the people I know whose kids are attending top Dallas private schools, it seems unheard of for a child to feed in at age 3 from one of these child care center "schools." Nonetheless, left without options I'm not sure what to do in the event that she gets rejected or waitlisted from da Vinci. Any help at all will be appreciated.

IMO your family has set too many restrictions relative to the number of seats available per year around here that violate your one of both of your key restrictions. Further, if your longer term plan includes only Greenhill and or Hockaday the numbers are daunting - what 125/130 total seats per year for girls. And one of those places is more non-religious than the other via enrollment. Lamplighter is awesome - every other able and interested parent in the area considers LL as well getting in is really tough.

At the end of the simple economic competitive game theory applies. Taking emotion and feelings out of the equation - you should apply to every Montessori, any notion that the top several Montessori's around here are anything other than great is misplaced, and every religious school with an outstanding academic reputation. By doing so you'll give your kiddo at least a 5x maybe 6 or 7x better shot at admissions either this year or next.

More later gotta run.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:43 AM

36 posts, read 95,056 times
Curious as to why Montessori is not a fit for you?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 15,605 times
I am really surprised that you would clump Creme de la Creme in with KidsR Kids. Unless the Dallas version are really different I do not see how these two can be in the same category. My daughter went to Creme de la Creme both original one in Houston near Town and Country and the one they opened in downtown Houston. While that was a number of years ago there was no comparison between them and anything else offered. Of course, the only option back then was the Montessori schools. The basic difference a structured environment vs. one that was not.

I know that the Dallas educational market is highly competive. I have a niece and a nepher that are in the same age range that your daughter is. Because I am a public school teacher I have told my sister in law to plan wisely in order for her children to get the best education possible. Currently, they are looking a christian based private schools and one of their children is currently attending their program 2 days a week. Of course, once he does get in~ if he does~ he will have a problem from the get go. Right now he is way above those in his age group. I do not know how he could be stimulated even in the private school setting.

While the public schools up there are better than those around the state private is the way to go. As long as we have STARR testing and other ridiculous tests that cater to the low end education for the top students will be horrible. I sent my daughter to a christian based school until 7th grade and then, switched her over to public. Where we live there were not any options besides the public school route. She recently graduated from A&M in College Station with honors ( Biology) and she is on the road to medical school.

Creme de la Creme was a good fit for her when she went years ago. I believe Roberta Rabb? was one of the people who started the Houston school. We have nothing but acolades for this set up. I cannot imagine that they have changed that much. Her classmates went to Ducschene Academy, St John's, and Kinkaid. Those were the top schools. We qualified for Duschene but, moved out of town due to a transfer.

Another thing I would consider if your daughter is 3. Call the local Kumon learning centers. They offer both math and reading programs. While some people that learning this at 3 is too young but, I do not feel that kids can learn much sitting around with glazed looks. Good Luck.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,202 times
If you have not visited St. Alcuin, you might want to reconsider your stance. I am not a huge fan of the its programs as kids older, but I think that its program for 2-4 year olds is quite good. First, lets be real, at 18 months (when kids start), no one is reading or doing math. At St. Alcuin they are teaching kids to behave, play together, hand eye coordination with puzzles, object identification, etc. The teachers are extremely impressive (bright) and the class size is small (lots of individual attention).

Importantly for you, its matriculation rate to Hockaday and Greenhill is impressive. 2 years ago it had more kids accepted to St. Marks than any other school. This past year I understand that lamplighter did better, but you get the point. If you have the right kid with the brains, St. Alcuin will help you get admitted.

You may want to stick your child in St. Alcuin for one year and then if you don't like, try to get in lamplighter (or meadowbrook) the following year when your child is old enough.

Finally, on a personal level, I am not a huge fan of DaVanci. Just my two cents, and opinions are varied, but I would not place it any higher than Lamplighter, Meadowbrook, St. Alcuin, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas