Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,618,662 times

Advertisements

I grew up in south Garland, and lived in the Eastern Hills (more commonly called Club Hill) area in the '90s before moving to Rowlett. Many of the major stores, esp. grocery store have disappeared from south Garland although there are some lovely older homes and nice neighborhoods there. Even the newer ones are getting to be 15-20 years old. I agree with everyone else - it is an older suburb meaning older smaller homes in abundance and many areas have declined. But I raised my kids there and still consider it home and most areas are pretty safe. The Firewheel area is nice and is preferred by young families with a good income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,894 times
Coming from the New Orleans area you will like Garland. There are some nice areas still and just like anything else, positive attitudes usually help

Old 07-19-2012, 12:32 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,285 times
Lol...I guess I just don't see it as bad since I am coming from New Orleans where it is very common to have 100 and 200 year old houses. Most of the homes in Metairie were built in the 50's and 60's and are still considered VERY desirable. In fact some of the homes in Eastern Hills that sale for $150k would be at least $250k in Old Met. I guess my perspective is very different from the average Dallasite who wants huge, new homes in a subdivision where every other home looks similar and everyone is the same, as this is what I'm gatherig. Nothing wrong with that, but not for me. I also like being able to get downtown or to Plano, Richardson etc fairly quickly. I like the location of Garland. Places like Grapevine are just too far from downtown Dallas for me.
We will also look at North Garland. A friend lives in Buckingham Estates area and it seems nice. Will also consider Richardson and some areas of Plano, namely the ones we can afford.
Thanks for all the responses. It's good to see some other views.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 PM

933 posts, read 1,534,245 times
In the eyes of most Dallasites: Older suburb + diverse population = ghetto / undesirable

Old 07-19-2012, 04:01 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,618,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
In the eyes of most Dallasites: Older suburb + diverse population = ghetto / undesirable
Ha - then most of the city of Dallas would pretty much fall into the "undesirable" category too if you took out "suburb".

Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Maybe he means in the eyes of northern suburbanites...

Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Depends on the type of diversity your talking about.

If youre talking about income diversity, I could agree.

If youre talking about ethnic diversity, I dont. Many, many areas of Plano, Carrollton, Las Collinas, etc. are not white yet super upscale.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Maybe he means in the eyes of northern suburbanites...
The general attitude on this forum.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Depends on the type of diversity your talking about.

If youre talking about income diversity, I could agree.

If youre talking about ethnic diversity, I dont. Many, many areas of Plano, Carrollton, Las Collinas, etc. are not white yet super upscale.
I'm talking about ethnic diversity. East Plano, Garland, Mesquite, ect are considered to be undesirable by many because of the reasons I listed.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:26 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,285 times
Well I don't mind ethnic diversity, I actually welcome it. I am Caucasian, but I don't want to be surrounded by those just like me. What is the fun in that? I only hope that one day people wake up and appreciate older burbs like Garland for its proximity to downtown, its diversity, etc and then the awesome home I'm sure to find for a steal will be worth much more when Garland becomes cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas