Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 AM

66 posts, read 119,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Just wanted to add that if you will be working in Irving, then Coppell and/or Flower Mound are excellent suburbs. Commute will be shorter, and both places have highly rated schools.
Thanks! My coworker lives in Flower Mound and swears by it. Apparently Southlake would be out of our price range so I think we're set on Flower Mound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistileropete View Post
Sorry it took so long to respond. The move went fine (we had movers). The kids adjusted well (there where allot of new kids). Texas is the opposite of California in almost everyway, Texas lets it's citizens run their lives where California wants to run it for you. (In a nut shell). Also another way to put it is you will be moving from Rocklin to Rocklin if that makes sense. You will find the areas you are looking to be similar to Rocklin (nice suburban areas to raise a family), except no state taxes, better schools etc. etc.
That is EXACTLY what we were hoping to hear!

Old 10-07-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Awesome to see so many Californians. I grew up near Sacramento, up in the foothills (Placerville). Then Lived in Los Angeles.

When I moved to Texas I never looked back (except for some longing for cool summer nights). I've found the people here in Texas friendly, not sure who others have been around but I can't say I've come across too many rude people. I think if you can get past the weather (and bugs if you are near any kind of body of water) most Californians will find Texas to be quite nice.
Electric bills are indeed quite scary depending on what direction your house faces, insulation, AC efficiency, windows, trees, and how cool you like it. My house was built in 86 (1450sqft) and when we moved in I had insulation blown in. So far the highest bill was $156 (we keep it 78 day and 75 nights), this next month I am expecting to be between $150-200 Due to the heat. If you buy a house you will need to keep an eye on the water bill too, that can catch you off guard.
Otherwise have fun in Texas, don't forget to do everything you couldn't in California like buy a gun on your way in (no waiting period!), and get your concealed handgun permit as well (assuming you have no felonies or mental issues).
Thanks for the insight. I know my wife and I have been asking around about how new a home should be if we want to avoid excess energy bills - she likes the indoor temp rather cool in the summers.

We plan on bringing our guns with us but I certainly hope to be buying more in the near future. The 2nd Amendment is all but dead here in CA. I spoke with the local Sheriff's office regarding a concealed carry (because, you know, the Consitution states that your gun rights will be granted by local police officers with a government high school education) and he stated it could take up to 1 year. I explained to him that my wife was a victim of a violent crime and the individual was never prosecuted to which he responded "I'm sorry to hear that but that is our policy".

Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
The gun thing is also one of the reasons I love Texas and want to move there. My only fear is that with all the people from states with strict gun laws, ny, nj, ma, ca, il etc. moving in may eventually change the pro gun mindset in the long run, but it all depends on how they vote I guess.
Most of us are moving to escape the nanny states.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Californians already ruined smoking, let's hope they leave guns alone.
Full disclosure: I am 100% against smoking in public. I guess it's the whole "you can swing your fist around as much as you want until it hit's someone on the chin" thing.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacoftomatoes View Post
Full disclosure: I am 100% against smoking in public. I guess it's the whole "you can swing your fist around as much as you want until it hit's someone on the chin" thing.
Well, give me a wide berth when you see me smoking outdoors and we'll get along just fine.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Well, give me a wide berth when you see me smoking outdoors and we'll get along just fine.
Duly noted. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-07-2012 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: you've both stated your opinions - now let it go w/o any insults

Old 10-08-2012, 09:07 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,276,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacoftomatoes View Post
Most of us are moving to escape the nanny states.
Agreed, just about every transplant I run across is seeking refuge from "Nanny States." Now I'll be the first to admit Texas is not without faults and Capitalism isn't perfect but in many ways their better than the alternatives.

Anyhow, Welcome to Texas. I would suggest in your free time, get out away from the city and explore smaller Texas counties like West or South Texas areas. Dallas is full of transplants like your self which makes it difficult to grasp what is truly Texas. Go explore and have some fun. Texans are in general very warm and receptive and Texas has a very interesting history.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 AM

681 posts, read 1,674,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Agreed, just about every transplant I run across is seeking refuge from "Nanny States." Now I'll be the first to admit Texas is not without faults and Capitalism isn't perfect but in many ways their better than the alternatives.

Anyhow, Welcome to Texas. I would suggest in your free time, get out away from the city and explore smaller Texas counties like West or South Texas areas. Dallas is full of transplants like your self which makes it difficult to grasp what is truly Texas. Go explore and have some fun. Texans are in general very warm and receptive and Texas has a very interesting history.
Agreed!

I for one have lived in a "nanny state" for my entire life and am trying to escape it too. Hopefully my time will come sooner than later!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,433,012 times
Come to Texas... we welcome you. In th mean time be careful some national politicians think they have all the answers and we may not have much variety between states if we arent careful.

Again welcome to Tx and get down here soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas