Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 AM

66 posts, read 119,102 times

Advertisements

Has anyone made the move from California (Sacramento) to Texas (Dallas)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 11:06 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,349,911 times
I'm a native Texan.

A California couple recently purchased a nice 2000 sq ft brick ranch home
in my nice quiet treed older custom home neighborhood for under $125,000.
[No HOA]

I think they will be happy here.

Moderator cut: RE listings/addresses from any source cannot be posted within the forums - Send DM only

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-21-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 AM

613 posts, read 1,055,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacoftomatoes View Post
Has anyone made the move from California (Sacramento) to Texas (Dallas)?
I moved here from Boston about 2 years ago. Housing is pretty cheap and taxes are low. So far I like it just people are rude here. Most people from Texas will say they are not but they are from here so I dont think they know they just seem to think its normal.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! My wife and I have four kids (and no, we're not Mormon). We've been contemplating leaving California for a variety of reasons (Cal is bankrupt, high taxes, etc) and are seeking a 4-5 bedroom home with some room to run around. Budget of approx. 250k. What are the best areas to find something (preferably new and energy efficient)? Also, do property taxes dictate quality of schools?

Not worried about rude people - you can find those everywhere and there is certainly no shortage of them in California.

Lastly, regarding weather. Sacramento reaches 105 on hot summer days. Is the heat in Dallas like Atlanta?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Summers in Dallas can be either hot and humid like Atlanta or just a dry heat.

Today, it is over 100 degrees.

The newer/nicer areas are mainly north of Dallas/Ft Worth.

For new homes your biggest selection will be north to Collin or Denton Counties or east to Rockwall County
How far out from Dallas/Ft Worth you live might depend upon your commute to work. You will need a car
to get around because the DFW area is huge and public transit is not.

Texas has high property taxes [city, county, school] but property valuation here is very reasonable compared
to California [which is why Texas is getting so many newcomers from Cali ]

Texas has no income tax and is very business-friendly.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-21-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 03:31 PM

Here's a local realtor website where you can search for properties in the north Texas area.

Moderator cut: No specific real estate company, broker or agent name or mortgage bank/company or website recommendations can be posted in forum - Send DM only

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-21-2012 at 04:59 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 03:45 PM

307 posts, read 532,258 times
You can find nice and new areas south of Dallas also. Here's one area, especially if you like greenery, wide open areas, and diversity.

Moderator cut: No specific real estate company, broker or agent name or mortgage bank/company or website recommendations can be posted in forum - Send DM only

In Texas, nice areas and best areas can mean non-diversified or low ratio of...if you're moving to Texas you have to learn the code words. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-21-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post

You can find nice and new areas south of Dallas also. Here's one area, especially if you like greenery, wide open areas, and diversity.

In Texas, nice areas and best areas can mean non-diversified or low ratio of... if you're moving to Texas you have to learn the code words. Moderator cut: Off-Topic

" Birds of a feather flock together. "

All the man-made laws to the contrary can't change nature.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-21-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 PM

Thanks, everyone. Moderator cut: See DM

Quote:
The newer/nicer areas are mainly north of Dallas/Ft Worth.

For new homes your biggest selection will be north to Collin or Denton Counties or east to Rockwall County
How far out from Dallas/Ft Worth you live might depend upon your commute to work. You will need a car
to get around because the DFW area is huge and public transit is not.
I should be working in Irving. Does that change where we should be looking to live?

Quote:
In Texas, nice areas and best areas can mean non-diversified
I supposed I would need you to define what "diversified" means.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-21-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 06:11 PM

A few more questions:

1. What is the story on Grand Prairie? I see that some of the homes are a lot less expensive (and new). Is this a decent area to live? Pros and cons?

2. What would you say the utility bill would be for a 3000 square foot home would be during summers?

3. Are the lakes decent enough to swim in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas