Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,524 times

Advertisements

I am a African-American single mom with an 11 year old daughter relocating to DFW area around June/July 2013. I am going to be a teacher once I arrive in DFW, not sure which school district yet. I am looking to rent at first and seeking 2 bedroom apartments for under $800.00. At first, I was looking at Arlington and Garland, but have since found that Arlington does not have a public transportation system and have heard negative things about Garland's crime rate. Even though, I have a reliable vehicle, being a single mom, you never know what's going to happen, so I like to always have "Plan B". Eventually my two older children will be relocating and I am also looking at their best interests as well. I would like to move in a suburb with a good school system, access to public transportation and convenient for shopping as well as have great parks and recreational activities. Any guidance would be surely appreciated. BTW, someone mentioned Irving, Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 06:20 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Get the job first, then decide where to live. DFW is HUGE and our commutes can be really lengthy. There are lots of great places to live all over the area.

Teaching in Texas is pretty tough right now. Most districts just had huge layoffs last year due to budget cuts at the state level. There are a lot of experienced teachers out of work here. You will also need to get your Texas certificate, which requires completion of a Texas history class.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:41 PM

Thank you...I am currently in the Texas Teachers Alternate Certification program...hopefully by next year, the budget will be better. If not, I have a Bachelor's degree in Social Work. I have thought about applying at some social services organization, but I really have a passion for teaching, so I am praying that will work out. Again, thank you for your response.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
I think that getting a job first will be key. Not only is there the issue with teacher cuts that ChristieP mentioned, the DFW area is HUGE and the public transportation is pretty poor. You might check out the DART website. That is the public transportation organization. Some trains, lots of busses - and not anywhere as good as other major cities like NY, Atlanta, etc. You won't want to have long commute with a younger person at home, especially as a single parent.

Best of luck as you finish your certification.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
To be brutally honest, the alt cert people have a tough time getting jobs. Any regular teacher is preferred. Use the "search this forum" feature and see what has been posted before.

The metroplex is larger than some small states. You don't want a 2-hr commute one way so find the job first. Live in extended stay hotels if you have to.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Thank you for your replies...I am not so worried about the job at this moment as i have never been without a job for two long, even if I have had to wait tables to make ends meet until I find that one job that I really want. Right now, I am more concerned about the areas for good schooling and of course safety is a major concern. The only reason public transportation is a concern is for my older children that will be joining me later. I have a pretty reliable vehicle with roadside assistance. Please help me with safe areas that have good schooling. Thank you for any responses.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoitier View Post
Thank you for your replies...I am not so worried about the job at this moment as i have never been without a job for two long, even if I have had to wait tables to make ends meet until I find that one job that I really want. Right now, I am more concerned about the areas for good schooling and of course safety is a major concern. The only reason public transportation is a concern is for my older children that will be joining me later. I have a pretty reliable vehicle with roadside assistance. Please help me with safe areas that have good schooling. Thank you for any responses.
Does it have to be Dallas? Because...and let me be blunt here...the COL here is not as low as people think it is and it is almost impossible to get by without a car. What you're looking for ($800 or below monthly rent for you and 2 kids, good schools, safe area, public transportation) is not easy to find at all. Plus you are competing with a massive pool of people who are more qualified than you are since they don't have that alternative certification.

Given that teachers are paid similarly district to district, have you considered a smaller city in Texas that's a more manageable size with a lower cost of living, like Waco, Killeen, etc? They may also have a harder time filling teacher positions since they're not big, shiny, and sexy like Dallas.

Something to consider.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:30 PM

482 posts, read 875,006 times
I am not trying to be rude, just honest: It will be next to impossible to find a safe 2 bedroom for $800 or less. That doesn't even take school district into consideration. Although there is no state income tax, utilites and all insurances (including car) are much higher in Texas. I moved from OK to TX 10 years ago and was shocked at the price differences.

I am saying this not to be discouraging, but to be real. As a parent myself, I think the best advice you've been given so far is to look into smaller towns. Jobs would probably be better and areas would probably be safer for your money. Oklahoma has it's bad parts but Dallas was a real eye-opener for me. There are neighborhoods you might go in and never come out.

Having said all that, I love love love DFW and would give a limb to get back. Please don't even consider Houston.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:56 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
I am not trying to be rude, just honest: It will be next to impossible to find a safe 2 bedroom for $800 or less. That doesn't even take school district into consideration
Unfortunately, yes, this. You might find something under $900 in the "less nice" parts of Irving, but the schools aren't great. For a decent 2 bed in a good school district, expect to pay $1100 right now, maybe $950 if you can REALLY find a deal.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:39 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
I am not trying to be rude, just honest: It will be next to impossible to find a safe 2 bedroom for $800 or less. That doesn't even take school district into consideration. Although there is no state income tax, utilites and all insurances (including car) are much higher in Texas. I moved from OK to TX 10 years ago and was shocked at the price differences.

I am saying this not to be discouraging, but to be real. As a parent myself, I think the best advice you've been given so far is to look into smaller towns. Jobs would probably be better and areas would probably be safer for your money. Oklahoma has it's bad parts but Dallas was a real eye-opener for me. There are neighborhoods you might go in and never come out.

Having said all that, I love love love DFW and would give a limb to get back. Please don't even consider Houston.
Why? I'd like to hear your reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas