Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
What whizzes me off is the person responsible for the tolls is now willing to accept responsibility and they are not interested in him. He is the one who drove thru the toll both and is willing to them he is the guilty party and they still want me to pay. How more moronic can one be.
Honestly, this situation certainly sucks, BUT... it sounds like the guy who bought your car is being honorable and is willing to take responsibility. It would be far worse if he was against you too.

As it is, I think you should get a lawyer involved and sue NTTA for harassment to the tune of... How much did you say those accumulated fines were? I'd also contact the local news channels on this and give NTTA some very bad PR to contend with as well, so they know you mean business.

Good luck, I really hope you stand up for yourself and don't pay a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 PM

6,826 posts, read 14,036,923 times
The guy who purchased the truck is being honorable now but he should have transferred the title as soon as he bought the truck. This guy is barely making it thru life so it is difficult for me to be real upset with him. What I would like to see happen is for the NTTA to take these tolls out of my name and put them in his name. Then they should drop the insane fees and put him on a payment plan. It's the best solution for all parties involved but doubt common sense is something they know alot about.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Some one from Ok, say the northen part, drives into DFW and finds themselves on a toll road. Are the signs clear about what to do.....they say drive and we will bill you as I recall. So they do, several times a year. For several years no bills arrive. They dont really think about it. Then after several years a huge bill arrives with fees added. Is this what drive adn we will bill you means? Not to me..... is a driver from elsewhere in the US supposed to know the rules of each toll road they might end up on accidently? If they say they are going to bill you, they must without admin fees in the first bill. If the party doesnt pay then they can esccalate...but to "visitors" to our area, we need to post clear notice of how things operate or not bill out of state drivers for tolls like this.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
What whizzes me off is the person responsible for the tolls is now willing to accept responsibility and they are not interested in him. He is the one who drove thru the toll both and is willing to them he is the guilty party and they still want me to pay. How more moronic can one be.
It sounds to me like got deeper pockets than the new owner. So instead of going after the guy who is as fault but is broke, their going for the innocent person who works aka has the ability to pay the fees.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
It sounds to me like got deeper pockets than the new owner. So instead of going after the guy who is as fault but is broke, their going for the innocent person who works aka has the ability to pay the fees.

Exactly! I spoke with customer service and the only thing they wanted to hear is when am I going to pay these tolls. It was like talking to a brick wall. I'm taking the truck owner up to the NTTA on Friday and we see what happens.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:37 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
When you sell your vehicle there is a section to fill out the date sold and the buyer which the seller should send to Austin the same day.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
When you sell your vehicle there is a section to fill out the date sold and the buyer which the seller should send to Austin the same day.
You can also do that online, I always do it immediately after I sell a vehicle.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times
Quote:

This is good to know! When I sell my vehicles privately I make sure that I keep my plates (so that they can be destroyed or returned to the dmv), registration sticker, and notify my insurance carrier of the sale and transfer of ownership of the vehicle. I handwrite and date a bill of sale and have both seller and buyer sign.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:37 PM

122 posts, read 349,160 times
Before last year in July, the last time I used a toll road was when it was still pay as you go. I avoid them at all costs but my girlfriend at the time lived right off George Bush so it was convenient. I started to use it daily in early July. Used it daily for pretty much every single month after that until the end of November when we broke up. I never once got a bill in the mail at all. Went online and checked and nothing. I did not have a tag, just used ZipCash. They proceed to send me 5 months of bills at once in a huge envelope and they were due in a few weeks. No late fees added thank goodness but still. It's easier to budget if I receive every bill once a month instead of a half of year of usage at one time. Did not like that at all.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:

The correct procedure is to sign a bill of sale and then complete a transfer of auto form found online on the DMV website. I never even knew this form existed. Once this form is recieved from the DMV your legal liability is released. Just a update on my case. Went down to the NTTA and spoke with a kind lady who finally agreed that legally I was responsible for the tolls but having the person who actually went thru the booth was something they could not deny. They settled it for $231 and the owner of the truck paid the fine. What changed things is I told them I would go with a trial by jury and they knew they would either lose or the fine would be $25 or less. It would have been hard to find me guilty when someone else is saying they did it.

Reggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: