Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:56 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times

Advertisements

"I`m sure we all are in the same boat so to speak."

Correct. Both looking to open another door in life's endless journey. The good thing is that nothing is unreversible. Uncomfortable sometimes yes, but you can always go back. Based on all the foreclosures I see out there and horror stories I hear from Realtors, it happens alot (i.e. "they pulled the moving van up in front of the house, the wife jumped in it and drove it to her mom in Indiana, said she wouldn't live there")...true story associated with a spec home that 'fell out'. The sales guy thought this would help push us to buy, but it just flipped my wife out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 09:02 AM

46 posts, read 192,662 times
Good Morning,

Socketz..............not sue what fell out is Is any thing like a sink hole? Well I`m flying out Friday morning. Should be in Dallas at 7:35 am. I`m looking forward to seeing DFW area. I will be there till Monday then have to fly back. It`s not a lot of time but, atleast a will get a feel for what to expect in the event we should relocate.

Momof2dfw............I used Bestfares to book flight and rental car. I recomfirmed this morning and all is well. Thank you for the info. My husband told me that there were cars broken down on the highway. He said they have been there all week. Is this normal ? Around here they would tow them or the owner of the vehicle would have it removed.

The other ? I have is does any one know what it is like in Houston? My husband was wondering if all the areas around there have so much traffic and, if there are alot of highways?

Thanks, Terri

Old 10-16-2006, 12:39 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Yikes socketz, that would flip me out too. Guess that salesman needs to go back to salesmanship 101.

Terri, Glad you found something and can come out and see the area for yourself. It is hard to describe any area to someone that has never been there. Guess that is why I spend way too many hours trying to find our lodghing when booking trips, I want to see as many pics and read as many reviews as possible. I'm just that way. Guess that is where I started doing the little "research" if you can call it that on some reviews. The ones that are always really negative and never have a good thing to say about anyplace don't get much attention in my book. The rain is supposed to clear out by tomorrow (although the sun is starting to peek out right now). The temps are only supposed to be about 72 today and a lil bit warmer tomorrow but nothing really hot or above the mid 80's. I can totally dig that . If you want to keep an eye on what the forcast is for the area you can check on wfaa.com (I love this site especially the animated radar for when storms are coming thru. Especially during the night. I don't have to wait for the weatherman to interupt the programing ). As for the broken down cars, AACK!!! The usually put a bright orange sticker on the window w/in the first 24 hours and after that they can get towed. If it is the same car(s) sitting on the side of the road for that long, that is unusual.

Houston... lots of traffic. Houston has traffic jams 24/7, 365 days a year. There are some nice areas of Houston but if you work on the other side of town the commute can be brutal. Houston also has a lack of zoning that creates some very colorful mixtures of neighbors. Not at all strange to see rundown shacks that are falling over but still lived in next to a much nicer, newer building. Yes there are lots of highways and tollroads in the Houston area.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:11 PM

59 posts, read 222,586 times
Hi Socketz

Where in Cali did you relocate from? I am thinking about doing the same thing that you are doing, renting in the proposed area where I think I may want to relocate to. My problem is after carefully posting some threads and reading the advice from many, I am almost reluctant to buy in anyone area yet. I want to make sure that this is the area for my family and I and that we don't have any regrets after purchasing a home that we may get stuck with and can't sell for a year or more because we are unhappy. Second, I know that the homes don't appreciate as quickly as they do in Cali so I want to make sure that I get almost absolutely everything I want in my home without the regrets later. I know what areas I am looking at, however, I need to be there to make an intelligent choice.

So how are you making out! How do you like the west part of Plano? How far is the Stonebridge mall from you? I have a friend that is going to rent in some apartments called Wade Crossings in Frisco and the schools are Shawnee Trail and Centennial High. Since we can't see the area would you happen to know about these schools and the apartment complex?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I'm not so sure I'd buy right away. There are just too many micro-areas within that entire Dallas Fort Worth area. I've been 'sure' that I wanted to live in like 5 different areas at 5 different times. I need to live there in an apartment for a while and feel everything out. Realtors aren't much help because all of them seem to want you to buy new. So your going to end up in Frisco or Stonebridge 90% of the time. It's also hard to be an expert on such a vast area.

If you need to live closer to the airport, Southlake is definitely nice....pricey, but nice. Flowermound is another nice spot. Another area you want to check out is Colleyville. You could also live in West Plano over where I am staying and still have a decent commute into the airport.

I'm blown away at how many CAs are moving to TX. For me, it was a job opportunity...for others it seems that they just want out of here.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 PM

For those of you looking to move to the Dallas area, I know I have not mentioned this and no one else has. McKinney is long distance. At one time I thought you could get a metro number but I am not sure about that as everyone that I know in McKinney it is long distance for me to call them.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 PM

59 posts, read 222,586 times
Hi Momof2

I was just curious, what did you mean by a colorful mixture of neighbors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yikes socketz, that would flip me out too. Guess that salesman needs to go back to salesmanship 101.

Terri, Glad you found something and can come out and see the area for yourself. It is hard to describe any area to someone that has never been there. Guess that is why I spend way too many hours trying to find our lodghing when booking trips, I want to see as many pics and read as many reviews as possible. I'm just that way. Guess that is where I started doing the little "research" if you can call it that on some reviews. The ones that are always really negative and never have a good thing to say about anyplace don't get much attention in my book. The rain is supposed to clear out by tomorrow (although the sun is starting to peek out right now). The temps are only supposed to be about 72 today and a lil bit warmer tomorrow but nothing really hot or above the mid 80's. I can totally dig that . If you want to keep an eye on what the forcast is for the area you can check on wfaa.com (I love this site especially the animated radar for when storms are coming thru. Especially during the night. I don't have to wait for the weatherman to interupt the programing ). As for the broken down cars, AACK!!! The usually put a bright orange sticker on the window w/in the first 24 hours and after that they can get towed. If it is the same car(s) sitting on the side of the road for that long, that is unusual.

Houston... lots of traffic. Houston has traffic jams 24/7, 365 days a year. There are some nice areas of Houston but if you work on the other side of town the commute can be brutal. Houston also has a lack of zoning that creates some very colorful mixtures of neighbors. Not at all strange to see rundown shacks that are falling over but still lived in next to a much nicer, newer building. Yes there are lots of highways and tollroads in the Houston area.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:16 PM

Evening Momof2dfw,

Currently my husband is in aww. The company he works for.......well lets just say are having some serious problems. I think he is exhausted from all the hours he is working. When he told me the vehicles are just left where they brake down......I thought he was in the mits of one himself Last night he said " I wonder if Houston would be different". Tonight I can let him know the info recieved. I too aways check things to the max for vacations and ect. When we transfered to the Florida division we didn`t research I quess thats why I`m neurotic now

As for neighborhoods......I put Mckinney in the mapquest and, from arlington it was around 45 miles? While I am there we would like to drive around and see the different neighborhoods. If you can offer any areas around Arlington for us to see it will be greatly appreciated.

Are you living in Dallas? I spoke with a woman whom had a post on here. She is from Hudson which is about 15 miles from where I live here in Trinity Florida. She told me she purchased a home in Waxahachie? Again thank you for all the help

Old 10-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Cami,

By "colorful mixture" I mean by the types of buildings, houses, businesses, etc that neighbor each other. Houston has had a lack of zoning for YEARS. Only in private developments like River Oaks that were restricted by the deeds when they were developed can you see some cohesiveness of the buildings & homes. You can open a store in a rundown building next to a beautiful home. It really is weird if you are used to being in areas that have areas zoned for their intended purpose and nothing else.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:55 PM

Rmoov2tx,

I am sure he is totally overwhelmed. Dallas is huge and a lot to take in and if he is also working ninety to nothing that does not help. Another thing on the vehicles in the road. If there is an accident most cities have a contract w/ a wrecker company that they must show up w/in a certain time frame (most like 15 minutes ) and have the scene cleared or else they lose their contract. I too can not understand people leaving their cars on the side of the road especially overnight or for more than a day. YIKES!!! One I need it and sitting there it can get hit, vandalized, towed ($$$ to the pound) and not getting fixed.

As far as neighborhoods in Arlington there are a few. Around Dalworthington Gardens are a few nice areas. There is another area that is IT for Christmas lights (traffic in the neighborhood is a nightmare, it's that big), it starts w/ an L and I know the name and can not believe I can not remember it - Loch_____. Arlington is a HUGE city that is home to UTA (University of Texas at Arlington), Six Flags, Texas Rangers and soon the Dallas Cowboys. Lots of apartments and more transient than other areas of the metroplex. There are some areas of Arlington that have more rolling hills than normal around here. There are a few areas that back up to a creek that flood so watch out for that. Not much as far as new home building. It is also congested because of the businesses in the area and the attractions, my husband worked at a grocery store out there while at UTA and did the night shift, the place was always packed at 2 in the morning. Always a wreck on 360 (hmm, I've been in a wreck on 360 ). Collins used to be the cruising street and still gets a few street racers from what I read in the news.

Is your husband going to be working in Arlington? If so that would be a HORRIBLE commute from McKinney .

Old 10-16-2006, 05:47 PM

Momof2dfw

No i`m not sure where he will be working if we relocate. Currently he is staying in Arlington and working in dallas( Abrams Highway). We were going to just look around and since he is staying in Arlington we thought we would check out the neighborhoods in that area. If you can point us in a different direction it would be appreciated. Our interest is viewing the types of homes, local shopping, and the ammenities the community has to offer. I`m not there long enough for us to explore to far out if you know what I mean .

Could you please recommend a nice steakhouse, or nice place to get a good steak? He hasn`t had one in awhile. I think he is getting the DT`s LOL. I would like to take him out for a date on Friday. It`s been almost two weeks since I have seen the old boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas