Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking25 View Post
Dallas is cheap and very boring. It is a city where everyone is settled. When I first moved to Dallas its like everyone was married. There are very few "single" people here so you'd better already get hitched before you move here. It is also evangelical and very Republican. The biggest moment of most folks day here in Dallas is going to watch the Cowboys Lose a football game which is mostly what they do or deciding what they will cook for Dinner.

Dallas is also very segregated. You have the blacks in South Dallas with the hispanics and the whites out North. I am black and live in North Dallas and I barely EVER see black folks. I actually pulled up the census and discovered where I live had 0% black folks. I guess the census most have overlooked little old me.

Anyhoo prepare to be bored out of your mind.
BS. The Dallas area is one the most diverse areas in the US. Where I live, I have families from India, Korea, China, Vietnam, Ethiopia, African-Americans, and Hispanics.

Anyway, your profile says you are from Memphis. I would think you would be better at recognizing what little diversity and segregation looks like since Memphis is far less diverse and far more segregated than Dallas. The statistics back that up.

What exactly are you looking to do that you cant here? Ill grant that outdoor activities are very limited, but other than that there is pretty much anything here you can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
BS. The Dallas area is one the most diverse areas in the US. Where I live, I have families from India, Korea, China, Vietnam, Ethiopia, African-Americans, and Hispanics.

Anyway, your profile says you are from Memphis. I would think you would be better at recognizing what little diversity and segregation looks like since Memphis is far less diverse and far more segregated than Dallas. The statistics back that up.
Irving Census Tract 14136 (south of Royal from MacArthur to Belt Line) is the most diverse tract in the nation. Stealing the title from a tract in Jackson Heights, Queens.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:44 PM

27 posts, read 48,408 times
For those people who "claim" that Dallas is very integrated you should read this article

D Magazine : Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas

I am not the only black person who has the impression that Dallas is very segregated. Several other blacks do as well. And just because you live on a street with blacks doesn't mean that's the general experience of others in Dallas.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 PM

I just have to say I disagree with that assessment. Dallas must have paid someone to put out that list. I have been to New York and Queens and Dallas is far LESS diverse than Queens. By a long shot. The two can in no way be compared. What public relations company did Texas hire again? And how much are they paying them to author/solicit these types of lies? Unbelievable.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 PM

Dallas seems to not have many activities like Chicago and Atlanta. I've lived in both. Compared to those cities, most of the folks in Dallas seem very settled and don't do much. It is really very boring here. Honestly. You would have to be from here and have went to high school or college here or have lots of family here and then you could create activities. Other than that, Dallas from a recent study I read has the lowest number of "single" people out of anywhere else in the country and it is considered one of the most boring cities. Honestly. Cowboy games, Bars, Restaurants, and that's about it.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 PM

I was talking to a friend from Dallas who has lived in Dallas many years just the other day and even he commented on the lack of activity in Dallas. Honestly it is so difficult finding things to do here other than work. I guess going to starbucks and sitting there or walking around a park. But other than that.. NOTHING.

Dallas is geared more towards white culture. There are white activities such as places that have rock climbing etc. But for persons of color there isn't much. My friend is in his 40's and he commented on how dead it is here. I lived in Atlanta for several years and there was always something to do. Folks were VERY outgoing and there were always street parties, block parties, house get togethers, etc. ALWAYS SOMETHING.

But here.. Nothing.. Which is why I will be moving...SOON. Can't wait. I feel like a 90 year old person living here and I am relatively young. Being bored can age you. Another thing is Dallas is so spread apart. Fort Worth is a drive, I live in North Dallas and going Downtown is another drive. Nothing is close and there is a lOT of sprawl.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
I was talking to a friend from Dallas who has lived in Dallas many years just the other day and even he commented on the lack of activity in Dallas. Honestly it is so difficult finding things to do here other than work. I guess going to starbucks and sitting there or walking around a park. But other than that.. NOTHING.

Dallas is geared more towards white culture. There are white activities such as places that have rock climbing etc. But for persons of color there isn't much. My friend is in his 40's and he commented on how dead it is here. I lived in Atlanta for several years and there was always something to do. Folks were VERY outgoing and there were always street parties, block parties, house get togethers, etc. ALWAYS SOMETHING.

But here.. Nothing.. Which is why I will be moving...SOON. Can't wait. I feel like a 90 year old person living here and I am relatively young. Being bored can age you. Another thing is Dallas is so spread apart. Fort Worth is a drive, I live in North Dallas and going Downtown is another drive. Nothing is close and there is a lOT of sprawl.
Metro Matt is that you?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,705 times
Dang it, I'll have to tell ALL 5 of my neighbors they aint black. [It'll be a shock to em ]

Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
I just have to say I disagree with that assessment. Dallas must have paid someone to put out that list. I have been to New York and Queens and Dallas is far LESS diverse than Queens. By a long shot. The two can in no way be compared. What public relations company did Texas hire again? And how much are they paying them to author/solicit these types of lies? Unbelievable.
No, what was said was that most diverse census tract is in Irving. Nobody said it was more diverse than NYC or Queens.

DFW is statistically the 6th most diverse major metro area in the US after the Bay Area, LA, NYC, Houston, and DC. That isn't a list compiled by Forbes, that's based on demographically data and mathematics. It is also statistically the second most integrated metro area after Houston. That study was done by New York University.

If you want to leave, leave. I can tell by your posts that you have a strong sense of racial identity. When did rock climbing become a "white activity"? When did house parties become a "black activity"? I go to house parties all the time and I have white, black, Indian, Asian, Mexican, etc.

Diversity to you seems to equal black. You don't want a diverse city, you want a black city. Go to Atlanta or DC. Both of those are diverse but will cater more to what you want. Atlanta is less diverse than DFW statistically, but it's more black which is what you want. Bear in mind in every city, there are neighborhoods that are almost all white. If you live in one, don't complain that there are too many white people.

Another ironic thing is that you've lived in Chicago and your complaining about Dallas being segregated.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 12-21-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
For those people who "claim" that Dallas is very integrated you should read this article

D Magazine : Why Young Black Professionals Are Wary of Dallas

I am not the only black person who has the impression that Dallas is very segregated. Several other blacks do as well. And just because you live on a street with blacks doesn't mean that's the general experience of others in Dallas.
Dallas is integrated but that doesnt mean its a good place for young black professionals. I have heard from a number of Black Professionals that Houston has a much more vibrant Black society with upscale and mid scale activities depending on what suits your tastes. While my examples are ad hoc, I believe it to the case as supported by this article about Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas