Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM

112 posts, read 314,683 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I want to buy a Roku unit and dump cable forever. I'm tired of paying too much for channels I don't watch. I need opinions on the best provider for internet only service. I need at least 15/5 Mbps. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
If it is available, I use my Roku over my ATT U-Verse. Only problem is sometimes it is slow to load. I turn it on 5 min before the program starts. I love the programming on MHz Networks which Comcast carried in my previous state.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,393 times
shelbelle72, I've had a Roku for a couple of years now and have used it exclusively over TWC/RoadRunner. My download is 10meg which is quite suitable. My monthly RR is about $35. NOTE: The TWC/RR says the download includes a burst speed as well. The really fine print says that burst is for a first 10megs of download after which speeds return to normal subscribed levels. Again, unless you have some unknown needs, the 10meg should be suitable. I stream movies from Amazon Prime, Hulu (used to use NetFlix), and I also subscribe to PlayOn, as follows:

PlayOn is a script based programming that runs on your PC. The Roku accesses the PlayOn service (server) on your PC just as Hulu or Netflix or other would access their programming servers. PlayOn uses those scripts to access TV network or other servers to bring to you the same programming you would normally see. Sometimes at the same time as broadcast, or you can view at your leisure. PlayOn also inlcudes access to the original Hulu - not the plus. Lots of old programming available there.

The link provided shows you the purchase of a PlayOn LIFETIME subscription includes a new Roku device. So consider your options. You may note on the same page is an option for PlayLater which is something like a DVR, but you download to your PC for later viewing. It's not an instant download but takes the same time frame as an actual viewing. Good for an overnight setup.

The scripts at PlayOn also require a purchase, sometimes two bucks but the one that provides the most is SuperVox, a one time $10 fee. The SuperVox script auto updates for Premium users, a $7 PlayOn fee annually.

I know, it all sounds a bit much but it's there for your consideration. If I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask, Publicly or Privately.

About the Amazon Prime... if you have that for books and purchases and such, you'll be ever so pleased with the TV and movie selections.

PlayOn Lifetime w/Roku - $60 < one time
- optional purchase Roku separately and PlayOn $20 annual
PlayOn Premium (Gold) - $7 annual (thru PayPal)
Supervox - $10

So, after you're working, it's about $7 annual.

Oh... and if you have a SmartPhone, there's an app for it that you can use the phone to control your Roku by Internet wireless, rather than the remote.

And also, PlayOn will work on many devices... Xbox360, PlayStation, see list

Last edited by Willsson; 11-30-2012 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Rev PlayOn Gold price

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM

112 posts, read 314,683 times
@tofurkey, thank you so much! Exactly what I needed to know! So 10 meg is enough, that's really good to know. I was looking at the higher speeds, thinking I needed more for the streaming. I do have Amazon Prime already, and will definitely look into the others you mentioned. Which Roku unit do you have? Excited about getting this set up!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,508 times
Since most people tape shows you can also watch most TV shows on bit torrent usually they are put up within hours of broadcast. If I miss something or forget to record or for CBS when I never know what time Mentalist or Amazing Race will be on cause of sports over runs I download the torrent and watch without commercials.

A really good place for TV shows is EZTV. Its easy to set up you have to a torrent app install it and than it really does everything for you.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:02 PM

shelbelle72, Great! I'm glad the Roku setup sounds like it will take care of your viewing needs. My Roku is a first generation, X/DS. It's the high end for first gen. Be sure to look over the products available and get the right one to suit your needs. Some of them are WiFi only. In the 2nd gen, the top end, XS appears to be the only one that is wired. That is, the Roku will hook up to the internet by WiFi, excepting the XS will do either WiFi or wired. So you'll need to be sure you router is WiFi. Be sure there are no interfering obstructions between the router and Roku.

All four Roku's of the 2nd gen support 720p resolution. The XD and XS support 1080p. Right now there's not much 1080p programming out there, most being 720p, tops. That will change with time.

I will add a brief word of warning... Using a Roku (and/or PlayOn) is not like using cable or satellite TV, with their scrolling and informative menus. By comparison, the Roku is almost clunky. Pressing the button to move from one choice and scrolling to the next. And as alluded to by SouthernBelle, waiting for the program to load. Seems more like about fifteen seconds but depends on source, programming, and current demand. And with the PlayOn, script updates are sent by email and you have to move them to the PlayOn Scripts file. Not difficult but it's a hands on control. I sometimes hesitate to switch to Roku programming just because of the unbearable silence while I'm accessing and waiting for the programming to start up. No, it's not really an issue. I use the quiet moments to look up a movie or program on the IMDB database.

Even if you don't want to use PlayOn, give it the free trial so you can see how it works. Good luck and keep me updated on your progress.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,885,583 times
Just purchased a roku and am also trying to keep my $100/month for TV in my pocket.

tofurkey, excuse my ignorance but is playon a download to a "hard machine" that is then accessed over the network? How much storage space, CPU specs, etc do I need?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM

Alpha8207 - cool, I hope it works out for you.

Download the free trial and install first. If you like it then you can purchase it.

Yes, you download and install PlayOn on a networked PC. You will then add PlayOn as a 'Private Channel' to your Roku. You will give Roku the IP address - 192.168.*** of that PC. It will detect the PlayON 'Server' which you will choose from the Roku menu when you want the PlayOn selection.

Support < includes minimum requirements and FAQ

For minimum playback quality, your CPU score must be around 500 or higher from PassMark.

Also, checkout PlayOnScripts dot com. You will want a 'Gold' subscription for access to all the scripts, $7 annually. You can download individual scripts for available programming. Some may have a charge of $1 or $2 to download. If the developer updates the scripts they usually auto-download in an email. You will then 'Copy' the script to the appropriate 'MediaMall' directory.

A most preferred script is the SuperVox, which is $5, one time. This one accesses a lot of online programming. Keep the email with your purchase code in a safe place.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
I use my Roku with U-verse. The picture quality suffers, the stream sometimes buffers itself, and the Roku channels can be slow to load.

I hate U-verse and would not recommend it. It's almost like a toy.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM

I have TWC/RoadRunner for Internet and absolutely no complaints whatever. I sometimes get buffering while streaming from either the Roku alone or through PlayOn. But almost never get buffering with HULU or Amazon or not more than once. Seems the buffering is more from accessing programming that originates from offshore than it does from U.S. channels based in country.

I did hear yesterday that Intel is going to develop a set top box to provide programming a la carte - as opposed to paying cable a set fee for programming you never watch. Seems that's essentially what we're doing with Roku and PlayOn.

Where's Kim Dotcom when you need him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: