Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,606 times

Advertisements

Moving from another country, I am not familiar with the steps for purchasing a used car. I know that I should take the title from the seller with her/his signature on it and bring it to the DMV. But I don't know how am I supposed to move the car without a plate and if she/he should be present in DMV office and when I should register for insurance (before or after DMV)?
I really appreciate if some one could tell me the steps to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
I found a couple of links about making the purchase and title transfer. And one, general from eHow

Title FAQs

Quote:
Texas Title Transfers - DMV Titling & Registration Information Online at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Once you find a car you feel comfortable buying, follow these steps to properly transfer the title in your name. If you purchased the used car from a dealer, the title transfer will most likely be taken care of for you.

More at the link....
Quote:
Title your Vehicle

Buyers
If buying from an individual, have the seller accompany you to the county tax office to avoid any unwanted surprises. Before submitting the title application, a tax office representative can tell you if the title being signed over to you is correct and if it has any legal or salvage issues.

More at the link....
How to Transfer a Car Title in Texas | eHow.com

Or you can google > texas title transfer < for more links

The license plate should stay with the auto unles it's a personalized plate. If personalized then the owner should have original standard issue plates. And the DMV indicates that you will need proof of auto insurance to make the transfer.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,139 times
Since you don't have experience with this, suggest you go to a reputable dealer. They will handle all the paperwork for you. Plates DO NOT stay with the car. Texas ended that years ago. You get temporary, aka paper tags which you keep on the car until the metal ones come. If you do buy from an individual versus a dealer, be very careful. Lot of crooks out there and they would love to take advantage of a foreigner.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
I bought my last used Cadillac from Carmax. Low mileage a decent warranty and good price. Price is good but if you can pay cash or use your own bank.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
The steps are pretty simple.

1. Find car and pay individual. Make sure they have title in their name only and have them sign the title over to you once you pay for car.

2. Get insurance on the car. Liability is the minimum required but full coverage is needed if you don't for the car outright. Depending how much you invest in the car full coverage may be a good idea even if you own the car outright.

3. Take title, proof of insurance and money for sales tax to the county tax office. They will register car and provide you new plates if requested.

If you purchased the car from a dealership they will do all of this for you with the exception of purchasing insurance.

It's simple process really.

Reggie

Last edited by Grainraiser; 01-08-2013 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 03:37 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Here are two previous rather in-depth threads that you might find helpful in obtaining a driver's license and buying a used car when moving into the DFW area from out of the country as you are:

See:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...e-getting.html

and: //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-car-used.html

Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4di View Post
Moving from another country, I am not familiar with the steps for purchasing a used car. I know that I should take the title from the seller with her/his signature on it and bring it to the DMV. But I don't know how am I supposed to move the car without a plate and if she/he should be present in DMV office and when I should register for insurance (before or after DMV)?
I really appreciate if some one could tell me the steps to do this.
Once you purchase a vehicle, you should contact an insurance company and obtain insurance on said vehicle. You will need full coverage on said vehicle if you borrow the money from a bank. The bank will also require the title. You have the option of full coverage or liability if you buy the vehicle your self out right...generally speaking an insurance doesn't offer full coverage on vehicles older than 10yrs...they make exceptions for classic vehicles though.

When you purchase said vehicle, make sure to get the title and it's signed by the former owner. You will also need a title transfer form signed by owner. FYI: you have a limited time to change the title from the date signed on the title and title transfer form...I think it's a month, so most people leave the dates blank for you to fill in later. The title company will tax you on the blue book value of said car, so be ready for that.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:40 AM

712 posts, read 842,202 times
there is an ONLINE link on the DMV website that will let you print out a 1-time use TEMPORARY (paper) plate to move vehicle from place of purchase to destination. I believe this 1-time use is either free, or very cheap like $5

you can also get a 30-day temp plate; like either $25 or $35

with both these, you must input vehicle VIN number; you must ALSO be carrying VALID (in TX ) Liability insurance card

I'll edit in a link if I can find it quick....

here it is- its called a TRANSIT PERMIT and it is free/5 days : http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/regis...porary-permits

Last edited by oldoak2000; 05-19-2017 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: