Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,779 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a single 29 yr old female relocating to Dallas from Atlanta. I haven't spent much time in Dallas and don't know anyone in the city, so I could really use some advice from others in the area. Thank you in advance for your help!

1.) I will be working in what I guess is considered North Dallas (pretty close to Dallas Love Field Airport). What are some good areas for a single professional in their late 20's early 30's to live? I am looking to rent for the first year or two until I get to know the city a bit better and am looking to spend up to about $1,500 for an apartment. (I'm assuming this is a reasonable price range, but if I am completely underestimating costs in Dallas please let me know). I also own a dog, so some place that allows for pets and possibly has a nearby park for walking would be ideal.

2.) Since I do own a pet, does anyone have know of any great doggy day care facilities in the surrounding area where I will be working?

3.) Lastly, I wanted to see if anyone had some good recommendations on groups in the area that are active and might be a good way for meeting others/making friends? I am a very outgoing person and am very active in several different groups in the Atlanta area, so if you all know of similar active groups in Dallas I would be very interested in hearing about them. I've done some of my own research on this, but perhaps there are some less well known groups/activities that the locals know more about. These are some of the activities I am involved with in Atlanta:
-I currently sing in a semi-professional a cappella group in Atlanta. (I realize this sounds incredibly dorky, but basically we all have other professions and get together to sing, because we enjoy doing it). I am also rather involved with the Arts (Theatre, Museums, etc) in Atlanta
-I am involved with several young professional groups in the Atlanta area
-I am also involved in some social 20-40 year old groups in Atlanta that get together for Happy Hours and other social events
-I love sports (I run/hike/walk, I love watching soccer and other professional sports, etc)
-I also enjoy community service and would be interested in finding something in Dallas

Any other suggestions/tips would be highly appreciated. Thank you again for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM

859 posts, read 2,120,822 times
With your budget you should be able to find a great apartment anywhere in the city. Without knowing neighborhood preference, like Atlanta, there are several areas in Dallas that cater to the 20-30's demo you desire. Based on your work location, wanting to be close to the arts and love of sports/outdoors I would say the uptown area of Dallas, or in the surrounding greater oak lawn area would be your best bet.

You could check everything off your list in Uptown. As far as making friends and getting involved in activities I'm sure you're aware of meetup.com. Also, If you haven't thought about it, an organization that could combine the social and community service element that you seek is the Junior League.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Yep, working near Love Field, Uptown or Oak Lawn - try google map zip code 75219 - is the place for you. Near by is City Vet : Complete Pet Care | Welcome. They have a doggy day care, walk regularly, and have an area where dogs can socialize all day.

http://www.thedoglofts.com/

Aside... you won't find many people calling the Love Field area as north Dallas. That might be something north of I-635.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Another vote for Uptown.

One way a lot of single young transplants make friends is through sports leagues, which really are a pretext for a lot of drinking and a lot of...erm...other activities.

I used to play on a kickball team and was beating guys off with a stick, but I didn't make any lasting friendships. I was 3-7 years older than the average player there, so I think that had a lot to do with it. As long as you're not 30 yet and you love to get drunk, you should be OK.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,173,739 times
You also might try joining up with people with similar interests through meetup.com as well find a sports league through the Dallas Sports Leagues Dallas Sports Leagues - Home

Here's another vote for Uptown and Oak Lawn. Tons of apartments filled with young professionals everywhere. Uptown Dallas - Home

Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
The Ultimate in Barbershop Links: Sweet Adeline Chapters

Dallas is best known for the men's group The Vocal Majority, but I'm sure there is a women's group out there somewhere!

Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,779 times
This is all great information! Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: