Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,352,969 times

Advertisements

Going by google maps, here is a list of amenitites in 75208 zip code:
Banks
Chase Bank (brand new) - Sylvan & I-30 and Zang south of Davis
Bank of America - Hampton & Fort Worth Ave and 35 & 12th
Wells Fargo - Hampton & 12th St
Also, branches or ATMs for Comerica, BBVA Compass, Texas Bank, etc.

Grocery Stores
Minyard - Hampton & Fort Worth Ave
Tom Thumb (had the cross street wrong before, was mixing up Minyard & the nice Tom Thumb- Hampton, just south of Jefferson
Fiesta- Jefferson, btwn Zang & Tyler
Urban Acres - the company that sponsors produce co-ops all over Dallas has it's only store on Davis St in NOC.
Organic Market | Texas Produce
Beyond that, there are donens of Mexican food stores. Dallas Farmer's Market isn't too far away for a weekend trip. You definitely won't starve to death in NOC

Pharmacies
CVS - Hampton & Davis
Walgreen's - Colorado & Beckley
Tom Thumb

Dr's
Methodist Hospital is in the neighborhood.
UT SW & Medical Center and Baylor both within 10 minutes

Gyms:
ok, may have me on this one. But the hills of NOC and the Oak Cliff Nature Preserve (in the hood) make for great biking or running routes. Also, two city owned golf courses in the neighborhood. I bet there's a gym facility at Methodist that residents could use. Or join a gym near the office.

Gas Stations:
Valero (pretty new) - Sylvan & I-30
Exxon - Hampton & Fort Worth
Tom Thumb / Valero/ 7-11 on Hampton south of Jefferson
Fuel City isn't too far away either and you can gaze at their cattle and pick up some good tacos, too

churches, restuarants, & fast food- more than I can count!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,355,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There's a perfectly nice Tom Thumb on Hampton & Ft Worth Ave (NW corner of Kessler Park), in the same center with Bank of America. There's also a grocery store (not Fiesta) on the south side of Kessler Park (Davis? Jefferson) along with a nice new CVS / Walgreens.

I don't even live down there, but I wish people would do more research / drive around the whole area before saying the schools are sh$tty and the retail sucks.
That's a Minyard's....a ghetto Minyard's! Didn't see a Tom Thumb.

I know some people who live in NOC and they complain frequently about the lack of amenities there.

I did drive the area...quite extensively. Didn't see a Tom Thumb. I'm not impressed by CVS/Walgreens or fast food. I prefer the amenities north of the river.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,083 times
Check out Farmers Branch. In particular try Valley View Estates...Border streets are Josey to the West, Webb Chapel to the East and Valley View to the North. There are some great homes built in the 50's and 60s with loads of character...there are even some mid century modern homes. Prices vary but you should be able to find something in your range. Not sure what is currently available but there should be more as it warms up a bit. Lot's a trees and great parks nearby. Can't say enough great things about the city. You might hear some bad things about it, but most of those people haven't been to the area in a while and it has changed dramatically. Anyhow, just me two cents.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,494,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Going by google maps, here is a list of amenitites in 75208 zip code:
Banks
Chase Bank (brand new) - Sylvan & I-30 and Zang south of Davis
Bank of America - Hampton & Fort Worth Ave and 35 & 12th
Wells Fargo - Hampton & 12th St
Also, branches or ATMs for Comerica, BBVA Compass, Texas Bank, etc.

Grocery Stores
Minyard - Hampton & Fort Worth Ave
Tom Thumb (had the cross street wrong before, was mixing up Minyard & the nice Tom Thumb- Hampton, just south of Jefferson
Fiesta- Jefferson, btwn Zang & Tyler
Urban Acres - the company that sponsors produce co-ops all over Dallas has it's only store on Davis St in NOC.
Organic Market | Texas Produce
Beyond that, there are donens of Mexican food stores. Dallas Farmer's Market isn't too far away for a weekend trip. You definitely won't starve to death in NOC

Pharmacies
CVS - Hampton & Davis
Walgreen's - Colorado & Beckley
Tom Thumb

Dr's
Methodist Hospital is in the neighborhood.
UT SW & Medical Center and Baylor both within 10 minutes

Gyms:
ok, may have me on this one. But the hills of NOC and the Oak Cliff Nature Preserve (in the hood) make for great biking or running routes. Also, two city owned golf courses in the neighborhood. I bet there's a gym facility at Methodist that residents could use. Or join a gym near the office.

Gas Stations:
Valero (pretty new) - Sylvan & I-30
Exxon - Hampton & Fort Worth
Tom Thumb / Valero/ 7-11 on Hampton south of Jefferson
Fuel City isn't too far away either and you can gaze at their cattle and pick up some good tacos, too

churches, restuarants, & fast food- more than I can count!
Great list TC! I know for certain there is a gym in North Oak Cliff. I saw an Anytime Fitness Gym off Davis street. I saw it because, every restaurant in Bishop Arts area except for Cafe Brazil had over a 30 minute wait the last time I went down there a week ago. I had to settle for Cafe Brazil, but I had a great salad, and it's right next to the anytime fitness.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,494,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That's a Minyard's....a ghetto Minyard's! Didn't see a Tom Thumb.

I know some people who live in NOC and they complain frequently about the lack of amenities there.

I did drive the area...quite extensively. Didn't see a Tom Thumb. I'm not impressed by CVS/Walgreens or fast food. I prefer the amenities north of the river.
NOC has great non-chain restaurants, and very few fast food places. Try it out

Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM

617 posts, read 1,044,300 times
We have a number of friends in Oak Cliff who are very evangelical about how awesome it is overall. I agree, it's pretty awesome, especially for restaurants, but overall you do certainly have more options up in Richardson, in terms of schools, practical amenities, etc.

For groceries, they go to the Whole Foods in Oak Lawn (just take Hampton north until it becomes Inwood!) and for exercise, walk/jog along the beautiful Coombs Creek Trail along Kessler Parkway and the Stevens Park Golf Course, passing gorgeous homes along the way, and/or do yoga:

Sync Yoga (Bishop Arts and Sylvan30) Location and Map
http://www.iheartsylvanthirty.com/20...sylvan-thirty/

Coombs Creek Trail http://dallastrinitytrails.blogspot....oak-cliff.html

Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,718,505 times
Richardson to Irving is a really hellish drive during rush hour I attend a professional association meeting in Richardson that starts at 6pm and drive from my home in Las Colinas. Just a murderous drive and I have tried several routes. The shortest time it has ever taken me was 45 minutes; its usually closer to an hour. However zip 75229 in Dallas (DeGoyer Elementary, White H.S. are desirable) , or North Oak Cliff or some of the older neighborhoods in Irving....with Countryside Manor being my top pick are all great choices with homes built 1950's - 60's and some acceptable school choices; great commute to Irving.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM

11,872 posts, read 26,948,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Richardson to Irving is a really hellish drive during rush hour I attend a professional association meeting in Richardson that starts at 6pm and drive from my home in Las Colinas. Just a murderous drive and I have tried several routes. The shortest time it has ever taken me was 45 minutes; its usually closer to an hour.
Good point, Squirl. That would be an awful commute!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,355,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post
We have a number of friends in Oak Cliff who are very evangelical about how awesome it is overall. I agree, it's pretty awesome, especially for restaurants, but overall you do certainly have more options up in Richardson, in terms of schools, practical amenities, etc.

For groceries, they go to the Whole Foods in Oak Lawn (just take Hampton north until it becomes Inwood!) and for exercise, walk/jog along the beautiful Coombs Creek Trail along Kessler Parkway and the Stevens Park Golf Course, passing gorgeous homes along the way, and/or do yoga:

Sync Yoga (Bishop Arts and Sylvan30) Location and Map
Sync Yoga Coming To Sylvan | Thirty | I Heart Sylvan | Thirty

Coombs Creek Trail Dallas Trinity Trails: Coombs Creek Trail Oak Cliff

I thought the neighborhoods in NOC were beautiful especially around the Stevens Park Golf Course, but what put me off was having to drive too far to get to the amenities I'd want. That's just me. I'm not saying it sucks or anything. It's just...not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Richardson to Irving is a really hellish drive during rush hour I attend a professional association meeting in Richardson that starts at 6pm and drive from my home in Las Colinas. Just a murderous drive and I have tried several routes. The shortest time it has ever taken me was 45 minutes; its usually closer to an hour. However zip 75229 in Dallas (DeGoyer Elementary, White H.S. are desirable) , or North Oak Cliff or some of the older neighborhoods in Irving....with Countryside Manor being my top pick are all great choices with homes built 1950's - 60's and some acceptable school choices; great commute to Irving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Good point, Squirl. That would be an awful commute!
I agree, Richardson to Irving would suck...but doesn't it kind of suck to commute to Irving from a lot of places?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,718,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I thought the neighborhoods in NOC were beautiful especially around the Stevens Park Golf Course, but what put me off was having to drive too far to get to the amenities I'd want. That's just me. I'm not saying it sucks or anything. It's just...not for me.

I agree, Richardson to Irving would suck...but doesn't it kind of suck to commute to Irving from a lot of places?
It's a tough commute between Richardson and Irving. Both are inner ring burbs. Richardson is on the east side of the metro area. Irving is central. If one believes all the cool stuf is on the East side, certainly that near sighted view draws one to conclude that a central location is inconvenient. I lived in Richardson and liked it a lot especially going to places in North Dallas and Plano. Now I live in Irving and enjoy its proximity to ALL of DFW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas