Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM

12 posts, read 13,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Sorry I missed that was you - iPhone post and all.

As mentioned you should link up with a realtor who knows his/her way around and decide after looking around a bit.
It's no problem. I didn't take any offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:02 PM

12 posts, read 13,304 times
TC (and others),

I know that many people purchase a couple of neighboring older and/or smaller homes in order to give themselves a lot for a larger home. How practical of an option is this?

For purposes of example and discussion, there are three smaller homes on the 4400 block of Highland Drive. I would venture an assumption that these homes would sell over market value due to the potential for consolidation and rebuilding.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM

390 posts, read 716,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
True it is a fairly busy street. But you're a block from Jerry!!!! LOL. My parents hate when I tell them they are only a block from the most hated man in Dallas....LOL
You mean Robert Jeffress lives there, too?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,219,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txinmyblood View Post
HockDad,

As for what I really want in life... it is simple. I want to meet my better half and raise a family, providing them an uplifting/supportive atmosphere and the highest quality of life (please do not infer that as material possessions). A materialistic and entitlement attitude is the last thing I want for my family.
If you are serious about this, then you should add the Lakewood area to your list. I know a few successful bachelors who also live on Swiss Avenue (not in the Lakewood Elementary district - most have very large lots). Lakewood has more of a mix of singles and families than the Park Cities I would say.

However, if you are really proud of what you do and are prone to boasting it probably won't go over too well in our area. You really have to keep that somewhat under your hat and save it for later in the course of friendships. Some people consider "what do you do?" right off the bat a rude or too familiar question.

There aren't many homes in the multi-millions, but there are some people with deca plus wealth who like that and stay under the radar.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM

50 posts, read 66,896 times
Hope you find an area you are satisfied with. I too am in early 30s looking to relocate to the Dallas area from Memphis, TN. Looking for a friendly neighborhood close to some action (bars, dining, shopping, etc). Please post when you find an area and give your opinion on the area. Good luck on your search.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,655,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txinmyblood View Post
Well, I am the OP. And you are right, there is nothing that says I will have three kids. I was basing my numbers off of the information I have read, suggesting St. Marks to be approximately $24k. That, along with the annual increase in tuition landed me at an average of $30k.
True, but it sounds like you're talking about a difference of 1M+ "now" (don't know if you'd take out a mortgage or would/could purchase a house outright) vs. a possible cash flow of ~1M total spread out over ~15+ years ("buy house/meet Miss Wright/get married/have children" won't happen overnight)

I'm assuming you know your way around a spreadsheet or otherwise are capable of doing some quick calcs to estimate the possible cost differential of private vs. public and factor that in to your decision.

Good luck! You're in an excellent position to build the rest of your life and it sounds like you're approaching it in a very thoughful, methodical, thorough way. I'm guessing that approach is probably part of the reason you're where you are right now.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM

24 posts, read 60,093 times
OP,

This isn't a Dallas specific comment but a couple of things occurred to me.
I'm relocating to Dallas too, and am looking in HP/ UP neighborhood ( long road to get to that decision if you read the thread that got me there ) anyway firstly, if you're going to be living alone for a little while and are coming in to town looking to build a 'home' rather than a house, ie friends close by , involvement with your neighbors, normal person stuff- you might not want a lot of square footage in your home. I'm British and I may be completely different in this regard to all you lovely Texans but I've had huge homes, I call huge over 5000 sq ft, and I find it difficult to feel cosy and close to my kids in a huge house. It doesn't sound to me like you're the kind of guy that needs to broadcast your financial comfort so it might be something to consider, it might make you feel lonely to be rattling around inside a mansion on your own.. which leads me to the second point.. if you are not in a committed relationship but are looking to find one, I would wager that your SO will want to choose your home either with you or on her own ( we normally don't mind doing that ALL by ourselves ... just to save you the trouble of course... ) additionally, if you are blessed with children it'll turn your heart upside down and inside out ..(am I right folks?) and having your heart grow legs, jump out of your chest and start running around outside your body may change your perspective.. On everything. , as well as the fact that things like choices around education, environment etc for your family will be stuff you'll probably want to decide together...unless you're a secret despot...just say'n
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: