Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txinmyblood View Post
HockDad,

My financial situation is very stable and secure. I purposefully did not expound on my personal finances because I did not want this to take an appearance of bragging. Through the sale of businesses and inheritances, there is enough to purchase a home in cash and retire. Although, I would go mad if I did not have something productive to do with my time.

As for what I really want in life... it is simple. I want to meet my better half and raise a family, providing them an uplifting/supportive atmosphere and the highest quality of life (please do not infer that as material possessions). A materialistic and entitlement attitude is the last thing I want for my family. But, that cart well ahead of the horse.

That is very good information with regard to private schools. That was actually a concern I had about PH (for the future). It seems to make sense that, if planning on a family, one should take advantage of the HPISD. Why pay for a private education when you can send your children to one of the best school systems for free?

I think that HP is a safer buy, but I don't think that PH is a bad buy. It is close to DT and last year 130k people moved to DFW. The traffic is only getting worse and the neighborhoods inside the loop will continue to be fairly safe.

If you are buying a house in the 3-6 million dollar range, your concern about the schools is less of a concern. First, you can afford to send your kids to the best schools. Now, it is impossible to say how bright your kids will be (maybe you marry a PHD, maybe you marry Miss South Carolina), but if your kids are extremely bright (I am assuming you are!), you will at least want to consider St. Marks, Hockaday, Greenhill, etc. You still might pick HPISD for many different reasons (maybe you like their football program, maybe you like their band, etc), but I assume you will at least consider private schools. But, you can always pick St. Marks while residing in HPISD- plenty do.

As for your larger aspirations, I wish you the best of luck. Many of the dads at Hockaday were recently discussing how to raise grounded kids when the kids are exposed to so much. One family only stays at Holiday Inns and flies coach on vacations, but the parents on adult only vacations take a jet and stay at the ritz. Other families make their kids give away their favorite Christmas Gift the day they receive it. Personally, every month my kids deliver food to a food bank. Those were just a couple of suggestions, but I thought they made sense. There is no perfect answer, and the quest will be difficult. But at least you recognize the problem and I suspect that you will be successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:28 PM

12 posts, read 13,276 times
HockDad,

You made my day with "maybe you marry a PhD, maybe you marry Miss South Carolina." I have to say I had a good laugh there.

I am very pleased to hear of the attempts to keep the children grounded. I think that is extremely important. My dad came from an extremely humble background and made sure that we grew up with the understanding that true value is found in family, self and community. I know many people that grew up in PC/PH and it seems that it goes one way or the other. Some find great satifaction in showing off and displaying "Daddy's money." However, I have found that for most, it is a non-issue and a stigma or perception that is only assumed by others.

It sounds like you have a great group of parents and I applaud you.

By the way, let me know if you happen to have Miss South Carolina's number... just say'n.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:31 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
HP - it's not even close. Large lot? Who cares when Turtle Creek and Katy Trail are your back yard.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Large lot, great street, under 7, HP....DONE!

4307 Armstrong Pkwy Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11721495 - Realtor.com®

Old 03-19-2013, 05:02 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
That's the rub. A nicer home on more land would be/is less in PH. A person can send a lot of kids to private schools for $1.5/2M or more in savings.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's the rub. A nicer home on more land would be/is less in PH. A person can send a lot of kids to private schools for $1.5/2M or more in savings.
True, but you are almost guaranteed a return on invest of over 100% in HP.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:08 PM

If I wasn't too concerned about the area, I'd look into this as well.

10650 Strait Ln Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11903255 - Realtor.com®

Old 03-19-2013, 05:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txinmyblood View Post
Thank you for the responses.

With regard to budget, it is not a particular concern. In saying that, I certainly will not be purchasing any $15M estate, but would be comfortable at a little less than half of that. Commute is not an issue, as I will be able to conduct any needed business from my home.

Turtlecreek, I actually hadn't even considered the Devonshire area. I will certainly give that some thought. I want a property that will certainly hold its value and appreciate, but I also want to feel part of the neighborhood. This sounds like a viable option.

The majority of my friends from school and college have either moved to the burbs/mid-cities or out of DFW to Austin, Houston and NY. So it will be like starting over again. I find it funny that at my age I still get the feeling of being the "new kid in school" at the idea of moving.
Since your budget can float above $1M, would add Greenway Parks to the list as well. Similar awesome location to Devonshire, equally a walk your dog or baby neighborhood, but some bigger/ more architecturally interesting homes - oh, and those gorgeous greenbelts!!

You would def want to look in "upper Devonshire" (streets Greenbrier & north) vs the starter homes closer to Lovers. There is a gorgeous home with pool on Southgate just off Devonshire for sale for $2.5ish I think. Check it out!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM

12 posts, read 13,276 times
EDS-

If you assume three children and $30k/yr average tuition per student over 12 years, that is over $1M.
That does not really create a great deal of savings over the long run.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:17 PM

Sorry to thread jack, but if it was just the wife and I......YES PLEASE!

4755 Chapel Hill Rd Dallas TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11859454 - Realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: